Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM

41 posts, read 113,480 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some perspective from some of you guys on this issue. I started getting UI benefits starting in July, after being laid off of a job that I was with for 3 years.

Regarding my CalJobs resume, I actually created my own account some time in 2008, when I was looking for jobs (i.e. nothing EDD related). I eventually came to this situation, and filled out the CalJobs resume at the end of June.

A couple weeks ago, I start noticing I'm not getting paid...So I call, and the guy said that I failed to attend the meeting, which was false because I did. He eventually said that it was because my CalJobs resume was expired, and that was because I created it in 2008, etc. I ended up updating my resume so that it was active, and in the phone call, he stated that I have an interview in 3 weeks to address this issue (interview is on Saturday).

After the phone call, I was pissed at myself - But, at the same time, I was SURE that I completed the resume somewhere towards the end of June. Long story short, I did, and I have proof. There is a create date for the CalJobs resume, which says "6/24/2013," which is when I did it, and the time in the afternoon (and yes, I remember exactly that I did this at that time, i.e. 4:30 PM).

My understanding is that I initially saw that you have to update your resume and/or log-in every 90 days, or else it becomes inactive. I then saw that it was/is every 60 days. Regardless, even at 60 days, that should have taken me until 8/24/2013 until my resume would be inactive.

All in all here I am not getting money right now, but I will get the chance to beg for it this Saturday morning. I feel like I'm getting wronged here, even though I did everything right. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know...Would appreciate the input.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Yup, CA has had a lot of glitches lately. CA did some updates to their computers the end of the July in preparation for a more expansive online system later. It sppears people have randomly experienced all manner of unnecessary problems since, including webcert payments not made, requiring people to telecert instead, and sometimes longish delays before payment is finally received. Sequester cuts to staff hours has exaggerated these issues.

Call CA again tomorrow a.m.. Explain your resume was updated, etc., ask that his flag be removed, and that you be paid.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 PM

41 posts, read 113,480 times
Thanks for the input, Ariadne...I actually called 3 times in total from when this all started - The result is that all of them said that I have to wait for my telephone interview on Saturday.

I also decided to call CalJobs...Not sure why I didn't do it before. She told me that she could see that I updated it on 8/6/2013, and that it was active, but that she couldn't see my previous resume's. She also said that "create date" doesn't matter, and some other BS. She couldn't even access the previous resume because I updated it on 8/6/13, which I did so I could start getting my money back starting from that date! The fact that they can't even access a previous resume is just ridiculous and completely unfair.

Best part of it all is that she said the burden of proof was on me, even when I have no chance to fight for myself because they don't keep records. She even had the nerve to say that I should have taken a picture of it with my phone. I kind of resigned myself to the fact that there's nothing I can do, even if I am in the right. Just got to hope that they start me off again, starting on 8/6/13, and that I can just move on.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM

CA has over a million claimants. If you spend any time reading UE forums, you soon realize many people are beyond stupid and/or clueless (particularly in CA - I sometimes think it's something in the air or water out there), have wildly creative imaginations, and far too many routinely believe lying, not complying with the rules, etc. is perfectly OK because this is how they navigate in their world, and they will continue to weave a web of lies. This behavior is quite prevalent among the unemployed - which may account for their 'bad luck' generally. That said, the effect, unfortunately, is now most UE reps (especially in the bigger states) believe no one anymore. Even when you have hard proof.

Not surprised CalJobs doesn't keep a history on the resumes. Perhaps, when CA's new system is up and running, the data will be better. Fwiw, the State of MD can't even tell a claimant which tier of EUC they're collecting. They tell the claimant it's the claimant's responsibility to know that.

So, CalJobs not having a history of your resume updates isn't surprising. CA still is a much better state than most for the UE claimant, although they are facing administrative challenges right now.

Sorry you are a victim of this cyberage.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I never log into CalJobs, and have never had a problem. My resume is up to date, but CalJobs is useless, so I don't bother logging in unless there's a reason for me to. So if I get a letter telling me to update my resume, I'll log in, change something, and log out.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I never log into CalJobs, and have never had a problem. My resume is up to date, but CalJobs is useless, so I don't bother logging in unless there's a reason for me to. So if I get a letter telling me to update my resume, I'll log in, change something, and log out.
Then, you were fortunate. CalJobs requires a login/resume update every 60 days. People are posting all the time on their benefits stopping because of failure to periodically update their resumes.

Per CA FAQS:
Quote:
When do I need to register in CalJOBSSM?

You should register in CalJOBSSM immediately and update your résumé as needed, but not less than every 60 days. Your résumé will become inactive if you fail to log-in at least every 60 days.

Failure to complete or update your résumé in CalJOBSSM may result in disqualification of your federal unemployment extension benefits.

To register with CalJOBSSM, follow the steps below:
  1. Go to the CalJOBSSM website.
  2. In the “Job Seeker” section, select “Register.”
  3. Follow the steps to register for CalJOBSSM.
To add or update a résumé in CalJOBSSM, follow the steps below:
  1. Go to the CalJOBSSM website.
  2. In the “Job Seeker” section, select “Login.”
  3. Post and/or update your résumé.
If you are disqualified on your extension because you did not complete or update your résumé on CalJOBSSM, you will not be eligible to receive benefits until you complete or update your résumé on CalJOBSSM and contact the EDD to re-open your extension.

FAQ - Extended Unemployment Benefits

Has CA actually ever sent you a letter to update? Everyone who's posted on this was clueless until their benefits stopped.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:23 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
The only time I've had any documentation about my resume in CalJobs is when I open a new claim every year, and the one time I had to go to the reemployment class. And that was another waste of time. I'll be getting an extension next month, so I guess it's time to go into CalJobs and change something on my resume.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo255 View Post
Thanks for the input, Ariadne...I actually called 3 times in total from when this all started - The result is that all of them said that I have to wait for my telephone interview on Saturday.

I also decided to call CalJobs...Not sure why I didn't do it before. She told me that she could see that I updated it on 8/6/2013, and that it was active, but that she couldn't see my previous resume's. She also said that "create date" doesn't matter, and some other BS. She couldn't even access the previous resume because I updated it on 8/6/13, which I did so I could start getting my money back starting from that date! The fact that they can't even access a previous resume is just ridiculous and completely unfair.

Best part of it all is that she said the burden of proof was on me, even when I have no chance to fight for myself because they don't keep records. She even had the nerve to say that I should have taken a picture of it with my phone. I kind of resigned myself to the fact that there's nothing I can do, even if I am in the right. Just got to hope that they start me off again, starting on 8/6/13, and that I can just move on.
I wouldn't be too upset by her saying this. I'm kinda glad she did and that you posted it.

It just goes to show what a messed up bureaucracy many governmental agencies are.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It just goes to show what a messed up bureaucracy many governmental agencies are.
You have no idea the challenges faced by CA EDD now operating on a limited budget. CA generally does an outstanding job, all things considered. Due to sequester, they are now working half days on very complex unemployment and disability issues about which, if you haven't read this board regularly, you have no clue.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:09 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You have no idea the challenges faced by CA EDD now operating on a limited budget. CA generally does an outstanding job, all things considered. Due to sequester, they are now working half days on very complex unemployment and disability issues about which, if you haven't read this board regularly, you have no clue.
This "outstanding" job with CA unemployment must be very recent, because there were blogs dedicated to how horrible they were. I heard they just changed over from using biweekly forms to calling online to claim benefits like many other states.

I don't know how true this is as I don't come into this particular forum that often.

I was happy to read what the EDD operator said about taking a picture on your phone or print screening info as "proof". It's a very good idea, especially in this climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment