Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 03:41 AM

4 posts, read 4,511 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

So I'm currently on terminal leave, after being honorably discharged from the military. I got hired on part time by the Reservists in SoCal, but it's a one weekend a month gig. I plan on attending school, but was told by someone I wouldn't receive unemployment while in school because it'd be seen as being unable to work. Any input on this would be nice. My leave ends July 1, so that's when I'm technically unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 11:54 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorrent1991 View Post
So I'm currently on terminal leave, after being honorably discharged from the military. I got hired on part time by the Reservists in SoCal, but it's a one weekend a month gig. I plan on attending school, but was told by someone I wouldn't receive unemployment while in school because it'd be seen as being unable to work. Any input on this would be nice. My leave ends July 1, so that's when I'm technically unemployed.
First, you're unemployed now. If you've already been discharged, you have a DD214 and are 'unemployed.' You should have already applied for benefits and been reporting the reserve income while claiming benefits. CA deducts 75% of gross pay from your benefit, pays the balance. CA will need your DD214.

Second, I wish people would stop listening to what other people "tell" them and would, instead, check the CA website. Please read this entire link carefully:

Able and Available AA 40 - Attendance At School Or Training

In short, you were told incorrectly. CA approves benefits for people in school all the time. CA will need to review your class schedule to determine if you are Able and Available to search for and accept work. Online classes and night school, especially, are usually not a problem, but CA makes many other exceptions, as well.

Apply now while you have the earnings in your base year to support a claim. If you are enrolling in school in the fall, call CA at that time with your class schedule. For now, you are not in school, so the issue should not be discussed.

Do not mention school at this time.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Even though I am still receiving benefits and pay while on terminal? I haven't even reported to the Reserve unit, won't til around August. Nor will I find out my class schedule for a while.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Even though I am still receiving benefits and pay while on terminal? I haven't even reported to the Reserve unit, won't til around August. Nor will I find out my class schedule for a while.
You didn't say you were receiving pay and benefits. You said you were discharged and had a one-weekend a month on the reserves. Are you still receiving FULL pay??

This is ONLY MAY. How long do you expect to be paid??? Is it full pay???

As I said, your class schedule is IRRELEVANT at this time. You don't bother informing CA about that UNTIL you are about to begin school.

Please reread my first post. There are 3.5 months between now and September.

Apply for benefits when the "term" payments end, or before. You should try to call CA on this, first, however. Dial 800 no. in early a.m, then dial 5-1-1-0 to get into a queue.

More suggestions on last couple of pages, here:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-17-2014 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 04:15 PM

Sorry, forgot people aren't exactly sure what terminal leave is. It's leave I accrued while on active duty, but never took. I'm paid with benefits til July 1, then no more pay, and won't report to the new unit til August.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry, forgot people aren't exactly sure what terminal leave is. It's leave I accrued while on active duty, but never took. I'm paid with benefits til July 1, then no more pay, and won't report to the new unit til August.
Then apply on or after June 29. Do it right away at that time. That way, an additional quarter of earnings will remain in your LAG for another claim a year from now, should you find a part-time job.

When you start your weekend stint in August, report those earnings the week(s) they are earned not paid.

May as well collect a couple of months' benefits until September.

Then, in late August/early September, call CA, inform them of your class schedule, and go from there.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:21 PM

Thanks Ariadne22, hopefully I get approved!

Old 05-17-2014, 04:35 PM

You will be approved. Special consideration is given to military. Should have no problems, there.

Further thought, since you are now being paid for unused leave - CA may not consider that earnings and you may qualify for benefits now.

Call CA on this to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment