Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 2,690 times

Advertisements

So I was wrongfully terminated from my job on May 30th of this year. At that point I had only worked in CA since end of January, but made enough to have no issues with getting UI. The fired me from my sales job for performance which I know doesn't deny me UI.

I was told by someone, that I would have to wait until after July 6th I believe until I can file for CA UI because I was living in another state last year and didn't work and no income.

So I find a job start this week, but already this place has lied to me about the real deal and I am seeing red flags a lot after a few days.

Am I jeopardizing my UI for what appears to be not a good job that I just started. If I quit after being there a few weeks will CA deny my UI claim from the earlier job termination that qualified for UI?

I sorry if that confusing I am running a 11 hour day on 4 hours of sleep. Thank you very much for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,092,537 times
UI eligibility is determined by your LAST employer, and sometimes there is a spill over to your second to last employer, but you will never get UI if your LAST employer is a disqualifying separation.

It doesn't matter how many red flags you see or that the employer lied. What you need is proof to establish a good cause quit and you provided zero details to determine if there is anything of substance.

Also, don't throw "wrongfully terminated" around. It has a legal definition, and being fired for poor performance doesn't meet that definition. It just means that you're probably eligible for UI, not that you can sue your employer for a windfall.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
UI eligibility is determined by your LAST employer, and sometimes there is a spill over to your second to last employer, but you will never get UI if your LAST employer is a disqualifying separation.

It doesn't matter how many red flags you see or that the employer lied. What you need is proof to establish a good cause quit and you provided zero details to determine if there is anything of substance.

Also, don't throw "wrongfully terminated" around. It has a legal definition, and being fired for poor performance doesn't meet that definition. It just means that you're probably eligible for UI, not that you can sue your employer for a windfall.
Thanks, and I am not feeling well as I already mentioned, so I can tell you I was put on PIP right after coming back from medical leave and terminated 30 days later so yes I can say that rightfully.

Your point about evidence is a good one I will have to see what I can regarding that with my new employer. Basically I was told that I would be treated like an experienced salesperson and I am being micromanaged from day 1 like I first started over 10 years ago. It's creating a really stressful environment.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Had you filed in June, CA would have looked at earnings for February/March. If you had earned $1,300 in that quarter, you would have qualified for a claim in CA, just not a very good one. Waiting until July allows CA to consider earnings through June 30th - only if earnings through 3/31 do not allow CA to establish a claim.

Chances are, you've earned enough in February and March for claim eligibiity, so filing in July won't improve your benefit or the number of weeks you might be eligible for. CA can only use its ABP (earnings through 6/30/2014) - IF - you don't qualify on earnings through 3/31/2014.

If you can provide your earnings Feb/March, we can tell you what your benefit would be. Essentially, CA determines your weekly benefit rate based on high quarter earnings and divides the WBA into 50% of base period earnings to determine number of weeks paid.

Ex: If you earned $6,400 in Feb/Mar., your WBA would be $247/wk. CA divides $247 into $3,200 (50% of your base period earnings), to arrive a number of weeks paid. In this case - 13 weeks ($3,200/$247). The CA weekly benefit chart and other info are here:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf

Knowing that and if you still want to quit, you will need good cause. Good cause can be job duties/hours/wages not what was promised when you were hired, or some other reason. CA can be flexible on that issue, however, you may need to undergo an appeal before you get benefits.

You may want to read this:

Voluntary Quit VQ 5 - Elements of a Voluntary Quit

and other sections of the UIBDG on VQs.

Voluntary Quit - Table of Contents

Old 07-01-2014, 09:42 PM

Let's just say I made about 6k per month for my first job. I worked there 4.5 months total.

Wow I am starting to regret taking this job. Time to read up on voluntary quits.

Thank you for the reply Adrianne.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Well, if you earned $12k in the two months ending 3/31, your WBA is $450/wk. If you file before October, the monetary award would be $6,000, divided by $450, paid out over a little over 13 weeks.

If you can wait to file until October 5, earnings through 6/30 would be included. Then the monetary award would be the maximum of $11,700, with $450 paid out over 26 weeks.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, if you earned $12k in the two months ending 3/31, your WBA is $450/wk. If you file before October, the monetary award would be $6,000, divided by $450, paid out over a little over 13 weeks.

If you can wait to file until October 5, earnings through 6/30 would be included. Then the monetary award would be the maximum of $11,700, with $450 paid out over 26 weeks.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:40 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressedoutbigtime View Post
Thanks, and I am not feeling well as I already mentioned, so I can tell you I was put on PIP right after coming back from medical leave and terminated 30 days later so yes I can say that rightfully.

Your point about evidence is a good one I will have to see what I can regarding that with my new employer. Basically I was told that I would be treated like an experienced salesperson and I am being micromanaged from day 1 like I first started over 10 years ago. It's creating a really stressful environment.
If you're going to go down the VQ road, you're going to need a much better understanding of employment law.

What you have described is not a wrongful termination, had they terminated your position while you were on an FMLA-protected leave, that would qualify. What happened to you may not have been entirely fair, but perfectly legal.

For the VQ piece, you would need to establish that the role and duties are different from what was originally described, and that you took steps to address this with your employer. A different work environment, however stressful it may be, is not good cause for a quit.

In the end, you're probably going to have to do this the old fashioned way and just deal with the current job, or go out and find a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment