Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 17,448 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I worked full-time between mid-March 2014 and mid-Aug 2014 (exactly 5 months) and it was through a temp agency.

Prior to that I was unemployed and stopped collecting benefits at the end of 2013 when the extensions were exhausted. My previous claim year expired mid-April 2014, even though I did not collect anything in 2014

Now, I assume if I file for unemployment benefits these days, it will be considered a new claim, but how long is it allowed to wait before I can apply?

The reason I am asking is that If I apply now, only Q1 2014 earnings would be considered as the standard base period and my weekly payment would be around rather low as I worked only half a month in Q1.

Is it possible to wait until Oct. 2014 (the beginning of Q4) and apply then? I suspect in that case Q2 2014 earnings would be taken into account.

I think that I read somewhere that a claimant should file as soon as possible, in the first week after becoming unemployed, but not sure.

Is there anything preventing me from waiting until Oct. 2014 to apply and still be eligible for benefits?

I appreciate any advice from anybody more versed in all things EDD.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,545,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalifOcean View Post
Now, I assume if I file for unemployment benefits these days, it will be considered a new claim, but how long is it allowed to wait before I can apply?
You are allowed one claim in a 52-week period. Since your previous claim expired 4/2014, you are eligible for another claim.

Quote:
The reason I am asking is that If I apply now, only Q1 2014 earnings would be considered as the standard base period and my weekly payment would be around rather low as I worked only half a month in Q1.
Did you earn at least $1,300? If not, if you file now, CA will use its Alternate Base Period to qualify you and will include earnings through 6/30/2014 (base period 7/2013-6/2014).

Quote:
Is it possible to wait until Oct. 2014 (the beginning of Q4) and apply then? I suspect in that case Q2 2014 earnings would be taken into account.
Yes. If you file no earlier than Oct. 5, under its Standard Base Period, CA will use base-period earnings July 2013-June 2014.

Quote:
I think that I read somewhere that a claimant should file as soon as possible, in the first week after becoming unemployed, but not sure.
You can apply anytime. If there are sufficient earnings in the base-period when you apply, you are eligible for a claim.

Per CA:
Quote:
To establish a monetarily valid claim, you must have earned at least
(1) $1,300 in one quarter of your base period, or

(2) at least $900 in your highest quarter and total base period earnings of 1.25 times your high quarter earnings.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf
Quote:
Is there anything preventing me from waiting until Oct. 2014 to apply and still be eligible for benefits?
No.

Before you decide, look at total earnings 4/2013-3/2014 - and 7/2013-6/2014. CA determines weekly benefit on basis of high quarter, then determines total monetary award based on 50% of TOTAL earnings in base period, not to exceed 26x WBA.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-19-2014 at 09:55 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,121,489 times
Quote:

Is there anything preventing me from waiting until Oct. 2014 to apply and still be eligible for benefits
You may not need to wait. CA has a standard and an alternate base period. There is nothing wrong about gaming the system to get the best benefit. You should use the benefit calculator because if you qualify for A benefit, CA won't use the alternate base period, but it's possible that Mar earnings aren't enough for a benefit, so by applying now, the alternate base period today will be the same as the standard base period by waiting until Oct 5, and you can get the money now rather than waiting.

The tell you to apply when you first get laid off because it's generic advice that makes sense for a lot of people, but when you have spotty earnings, you have to do what you're doing and look at the calendar and calculate your base period so you do what is right for you, and not some guess that may not work for you.

The only reason you'd want to wait is if by doing so gets you the best benefit for your circumstances.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 17,448 times
Hi,

Thank you both very much. It looks like I have to wait till Oct. 5 because I earned more than $1300 in Q1 2014 and If I apply now, the award would be too low.

I wonder if I need to update my CalJobs resume now or wait just before I apply?

Thank You

Old 08-24-2014, 12:21 PM

You're not required to do anything with CalJobs until you're collecting. Do yourself a favor and apply for benefits, and then worry about Caljobs. I'm still waiting for that first post that says, "CalJobs found me the best job I ever had." I think it's a total waste of time of resources, so worry about it when you have to.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 8,555 times
Does anybody know if there is in fact a reasonable waiting period? I am in the same position and if I make a claim in the next week or two....my claim will allow for a very low rate. If i wait 3 months......I will get a rate that is 4 times that. Can I wait that long?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 AM

Yes, you can wait that long. You can wait as long as you want right up until your quarters age out of the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment