Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:55 PM

18 posts, read 17,241 times

Advertisements

I was denied unemployment. I am now trying to open a new claim for the next quarter. Which option do I select. When I select reopen a claim it states my base year is all of 2014 and when I click reopen a claim it states the same thing. How do I get it to include the first quarter of this year? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 03:26 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritchild View Post
I was denied unemployment. I am now trying to open a new claim for the next quarter. Which option do I select. When I select reopen a claim it states my base year is all of 2014 and when I click reopen a claim it states the same thing. How do I get it to include the first quarter of this year? TIA
Call PA. At this point, PA should be using April 2014-March 2015 as a base period. Your earlier application may still be in the system and messing up this application.

Also, on what basis were you denied? Please post the EXACT LANGUAGE of this denial.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:37 PM

It just say ineligible 404, code 6

Old 07-15-2015, 03:48 PM

It states - "The notice of Financial Determination is AFFIRMED, and the claimant is financially INELIGIBLE for unemployment compensation benefits with respect to her application date April 26, 2015 under Sections 404, 401(a) and 4(x) of the Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation law, as well as Regulation 61.3 Pennsylvania Code.

It has to do with my 1 quarter being too high. I am so over this! This law screwed people who have worked their entire life. I am going to call the unemployment office tomorrow about a new claim. Hopefully with his personal check he wrote me in Feb I will be good. Something really has to be done about this law. Crazy!

Old 07-15-2015, 04:04 PM

I want to cry!!!!! Unemployment line to the welfare line. Unemployment isn't down.......people just can't receive it.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:06 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,180,629 times
It was unlikely to succeed with the appeal hearing, but you just need to get a NEW claim in the system. You keep saying "reopen," but reopen is to open a claim with an earlier start date that hasn't expired yet. You want the earlier claim to die, so that you can start fresh with shifted quarters because if I understand it correctly, it's the shifted quarters that allows you to use the manually issue check to materially change the percentages.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:55 AM

Yes this is correct. I do have a personal check that I can put in my 1st quarter of 2015.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:00 AM

Did you already apply again just in case the appeal didn't work? The correct date to apply would have been between 7/5 and 7/10, but doing it this week, only puts you one week behind where you could have been.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:44 PM

801 posts, read 1,106,692 times
I read a bill that was introduced in PA to make some changes to Act 60. It seems to have been prompted by hardship created for seasonal construction workers. I hate to be cynical, but highway construction workers generally represent a certain demographic group. If the only ones hurting had been seasonal farm workers, then I would venture to say that no one would care.

The republican legislature in PA should be more circumspect the next time they want to construct some type of shenanigan like fix for a budget squeeze on a benefit program (ostensibly so in this case, because the real motive might have been to obtruct the "undeserving" from getting U/C).

Another issue with Act 60 is it created a mathematical formula that can be exploited by, let's say, an employment agency or staffing firm. In the event of of longer term assignment, or contract position, that firm might just kick in a small raise in hourly pay right at the beginning of a quarter to "artificially" create a high quarter than cannot be overcome.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
it created a mathematical formula that can be exploited
It goes both ways. While an employer might do it, they probably are smart enough to know of it's existence. On the other hand, we've been telling claimants to know the UI system before they even apply so that they too can exploit things, but most don't seem to care until it's too late.

Like if they have the choice between a lump sum or payments, claimants need to know the effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment