Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,638 times

Advertisements

I went on temporary disability in April. My job was as an armed security officer at a bank. While I was on disability a guards gun went off accidentally in the bank so now if I go back when released from the doctor my position would be UNARMED with a 30% decrease in pay. I feel I should be eligible to collect unemployment benefits due to such a drastic change in my job. They want me to guard a bank that has been robbed multiple times without a gun for $12.00 an hour instead of $17.00. Anybody think this is reasonable and I can collect??? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,496,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol333 View Post
I went on temporary disability in April. My job was as an armed security officer at a bank. While I was on disability a guards gun went off accidentally in the bank so now if I go back when released from the doctor my position would be UNARMED with a 30% decrease in pay. I feel I should be eligible to collect unemployment benefits due to such a drastic change in my job. They want me to guard a bank that has been robbed multiple times without a gun for $12.00 an hour instead of $17.00. Anybody think this is reasonable and I can collect??? Thanks
I've never heard of collecting unemployment due to a pay cut. It may be possible due to a drastic cut in hours or repeated or lengthy furloughs. But not for a simple pay cut. Check with EDD to be sure.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,638 times
Default pay cut/change in job

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 AM

25,603 posts, read 56,682,755 times
He absolutely can collect - especially in California. He should apply.

30% reduction in pay is a material change to his employment contract.

Essentially, he was discharged from his old job @ $17/hr. and offered new work that is unsuitable as to pay.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,821,954 times
Actually if it's more than a 10% cut, I think they have a case. Call EDD or the EDD website should show.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 AM

25,603 posts, read 56,682,755 times
I see you are in California. Yes, you can collect.

30% reduction in pay is a material change to your employment contract.

Essentially, you were discharged from your old job @ $17/hr. and offered 'new work' that is unsuitable as to pay.

Per CA:
Quote:
Title 22, Section 1256-22(b), provides in part:
An individual who leaves work due to dissatisfaction with some aspect of wages has left work with good cause if the leaving of work is for any one or any combination of the following reasons:

(4) The employer substantially breaches the agreement with an employee as to the agreed rate of pay.

Voluntary Quit VQ 500 - Wages and Time
First, notify your employer unless they are able to restore you to the old position at your previous rate of pay and benefits, you will have no option other than to consider this a discharge. If they say no, then you quit. Keep a paper trail on this communication as proof of this effort.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,213,233 times
Ariadne22 is right, but think PROOF. As the quitter, you have to prove that your pay was actually going to be cut, that you gave the employer the opportunity to keep paying you the same, that they refused, and that you quit because of the reduction in pay.

You can't wait very long either or it looks like acceptance. You've got until about your next paycheck to act. The reason being is that this might all be verbal, so you'll have your old pay check with your higher rate, and your new check with your lower rate as proof, and then you get up and leave once it's in hand.

For proof that you complained, use email, text message, or leave a note in someone's in basket (that you made a copy of).

Just know that the gun issue probably isn't the key or the thing you lead off with first. If it wasn't for the pay cut, would you have kept being the guard without a gun? If so, then don't mention the gun. Safety stuff is too difficult to justify. You'd then have to prove that you would actually be a risk at work without a gun, and since psychic testimony isn't testimony at all, it will be rejected. However, the pay all by itself is sufficient. A 20% or more reduction in pay gives an employee good cause to quit so long as the employee made an attempt to avert the cut..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment