Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 591 times

Advertisements

Hey experts and opinion deliverers. I have a question regarding partial unemployment benefits. I was awarded unemployment benefits about 3 months ago after being separated from a 21 dollar an hour job. After some seriously disappointing interview results, I am contemplating an offer from a food service company that is offering me 11 an hour at apx 30-34 hours a week. The upside to this is that they are night time shifts that allow me to continue my search for more suitable work during daytime business hours. Alternately, there is potential for growth with this company that may lead to a decent paying 40+ hour supervisory gig.

I am collecting UE via CT and their standards for collecting partial unemployment are quite vague as it doesn't indicate a particular metric for what is considered full time vs part time. With my hourly pay I'd be making about 300 - 350 dollars a week whereas my current Weekly Benefit Rate is 550. I really am going stir crazy and want to get back to work, but I'm a bit unclear as to if I would be able to continue to collect benefits in a partial capacity until I find something that is in the pay grade of my last job or receive a promotion with the company that I'd be working for. However if I accepted this job and it disabled me from qualification, it would be a tremendous long time financial hardship for my wife, daughter, and myself.

Does anyone who has knowledge of CT's partial unemployment eligibility have any insight into this? It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Overtherhine; 08-10-2015 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Clarify title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 04:53 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
I'll say it again, partial UI is a ripoff. If you don't know the rules of UI stone cold in your state, then do NOT do it. When the UI runs out, then take the crap job.

These are real things that can happen:

Someone might quit, and you are made full-time at $11. Do you want that kind of job as a career? I didn't think so.

You might get a call from a relative in another state. "Hey, they are hiring warm bodies for $20, but you have to get here first." You can't quit that job and get UI in a case like that.

You might hate that job, but you can't quit after you accept it without good cause, but you can most assuredly refuse it because it's probably unsuitable.

Let's say the night shift is killing you, and you come in late or fall asleep at work and get fired. That's misconduct, and you're out the job and your UI.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:51 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtherhine View Post
Alternately, there is potential for growth with this company that may lead to a decent paying 40+ hour supervisory gig.
I have been around long enough to know that unless they said "We're hiring you as the supervisor", the claim "You can move up at will or when possible" is a damn lie.

You could be stuck in that $11 an hour for 5 years...No way would I chance that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment