Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times

Advertisements

Today I received a letter from EDD "request for separation information" I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I worked for a company for about 4 years I quit for another job which lead to me getting terminated at this new job. Now would this disqualify me from still reviving benefits or should I be ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,574,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLeChY View Post
Today I received a letter from EDD "request for separation information" I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I worked for a company for about 4 years I quit for another job which lead to me getting terminated at this new job. Now would this disqualify me from still reviving benefits or should I be ok?
EDD needs to investigate prior separations. Just tell them you quit that job to take a better job. The quit should not affect your eligibility for benefits.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:50 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,813,811 times
What they want to know is "Why did you quit your last job? (Answer "For a better offer")

The reason the new employer let you go, is a different matter.

Yes, you should be OK.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,140,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLeChY View Post
Now would this disqualify me from still reviving benefits or should I be ok?
It sometimes can.

The easiest way is to be able to show that you "purged" any potential disqualification from an earlier quit by submitting paystubs to show that you earned 5 times your weekly benefit amount from this latest employer. The reason to do it this way is because it's less work for you and allows the EDD people no room to "get confused," and spare you an unnecessary appeal.

Instead of discussing the separation, just submit your paystubs from this latest job, explain that you met or exceeded the earnings requirement, and that why you left your prior job is irrelevant. If you start discussing the reason for your job loss, the EDD worker can complete miss the point that, and issue a denial for the wrong reason. Just don't go there to begin with.

If you did not meet the earnings requirement, you're going to have to PROVE and not just say that you quit your prior job to accept a better job. Many factors count. Could be that it paid more, was closer to home, easier work, better hours, or the arrangement of hours slashed your childcare expenses.

Now, it also sounds like you might have a separation because of this current job that needs to be dealt with. Were you fired? If so, you're going to have to learn what misconduct is all about so you don't hang yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment