Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:11 AM

6 posts, read 4,046 times

Advertisements

I was directed by what I assume is a mod to post my question here.

EDD told me that if I make more than 117 a week to not bother mailing the claim form. Both weeks I made about 200. However, on the second week I did not go to my scheduled part time job 1 day 'because I was sick'.

My question is , since I already made more, and wont be getting paid anyway, should I just not mail the form. Or Do I have to still report that 1 sick day, even though there is no money for me to collect that week?

hoping someone has done this before and may have a good, solid answer.

If I mail it, I should get it in the mail tommorrow

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 12:21 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampalicious View Post
EDD told me that if I make more than 117 a week to not bother mailing the claim form.

Never believe a word an EDD worker tells you. That amount you need to make before you send in the form is a function of how much your weekly benefit is, not based on some number that an EDD worker pulls out of the air. What is your weekly benefit amount if you want the correct answer?

The answer to my question will give me the necessary information to address the rest of your post.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Never believe a word an EDD worker tells you. That amount you need to make before you send in the form is a function of how much your weekly benefit is, not based on some number that an EDD worker pulls out of the air. What is your weekly benefit amount if you want the correct answer?

The answer to my question will give me the necessary information to address the rest of your post.
I am awarded 88 per week.

On my first, and so far only form, the first was a waiting period where I made 96. The second week I made 127.

So today the lady said if I make more than 117, thats the number they use to say "excessive earnings"

and like I said I made 200 both weeks this time, so Im in excess, and just wondering if I am required to report that sick day I missed or is it irrelevant since no money is at stake? (I would have asked her my current question, but I wasnt aware my 2nd week earning until after and it was past closing time for them)

Old 03-22-2016, 12:55 AM

I would have said $118, but $117 is close enough, and $200 is more than both.

Don't send in the claim form, and you don't have to answer the question, and stir up any issues.

However, your claim is going to close (because you didn't claim and it would have closed anyway because of excess earnings). You need to be sure that from looking at your schedule, the next time you have reason to believe that you'll earn less than $118 in before Saturday, you have to get the claim REopened, so that come Sunday, you'll be able to claim for that prior week.

Also, are you using webcert or paper forms? Another poster said that part-time workers could use webcert, and I want to verify that's really the case. Wasn't true say 6 months to a year ago, and I want to know if it's really changed?

Old 03-22-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
I would have said $118, but $117 is close enough, and $200 is more than both.

Don't send in the claim form, and you don't have to answer the question, and stir up any issues.

However, your claim is going to close (because you didn't claim and it would have closed anyway because of excess earnings). You need to be sure that from looking at your schedule, the next time you have reason to believe that you'll earn less than $118 in before Saturday, you have to get the claim REopened, so that come Sunday, you'll be able to claim for that prior week.

Also, are you using webcert or paper forms? Another poster said that part-time workers could use webcert, and I want to verify that's really the case. Wasn't true say 6 months to a year ago, and I want to know if it's really changed?

yea, it was 117 and some cents.

So, if I make more at my part time job than 117, my claim is going to stop? Because last year I had a claim and then started at my current job. They kept sending me forms, and when my position ended (different department) I started collecting what was left until it ran out.

And I was excessive on the first claim, but I got the 2nd one this morning. Or do you mean if I dont send it at all? I told thge lady I thought we had to send them in regardless and she said "no if u make more just dont send it in".....

I suppose worst case, I mail it in with the "1 day too sick, and refuse work box checked" and they will phone me and Ill say "I was sick last friday" and theyll say , well you made so much anyway.....

I just dont want to lose out.

This week I have no days of work unless called in, and of course next week could be the same (or could be another 20-30 hrs, it just depends on supply and demand, I work recieving at retail). But this week for sure, veryy little if any hours, so I will need that next form in a couple weeks.....

I use paper forms. this is the third time Ive had a claim. the first was in 2010, the second last year, and now this one. Thanks for your input by the way!

edit:
also Im not sure if this is important, but the spot where they say "complete and mail this form by " was left blank, where usually there is a date

Old 03-22-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
So, if I make more at my part time job than 117, my claim is going to stop? Because last year I had a claim and then started at my current job. They kept sending me forms, and when my position ended (different department) I started collecting what was left until it ran out.
That's permissible, but did you just start sending in claims again, or did you call EDD to REopen your claim or did you REapply through the EDD link on the webpage? While it's possible, I doubt you just started sending in claims. I think you did one of the other two things, and that has the effect of REopening the claim to allow you to submit the biweekly claim forms again.

Quote:
And I was excessive on the first claim, but I got the 2nd one this morning. Or do you mean if I dont send it at all? I told thge lady I thought we had to send them in regardless and she said "no if u make more just dont send it in".....
Excess or not sending it in has the same effect. While you do have a form now, if you send it in, EDD is probably still going to call you for a phone interview. They normally won't just pay.

Quote:
I suppose worst case, I mail it in with the "1 day too sick, and refuse work box checked" and they will phone me and Ill say "I was sick last friday" and theyll say , well you made so much anyway.....
NO! If you made too much, and you know right now that you won't get a benefit, do NOT send in that form. You were sick. You probably didn't go see a doctor. It raises "refusal of work" and "able and available" issues. You do NOT want to create trouble just because you think it's the safe thing to do. It's not.

You're right that they'll say you made too much anyway, but then you might get a letter or two: "You said you were sick. You didn't see a doctor. You're disqualified . . . " or "You refused work because you'd been drinking . . . " Don't go there. It's too high risk.

Quote:
This week I have no days of work unless called in,
Then get that claim REopened before Saturday, so you can claim on Sunday, and try to start using webcert or telecert if at all possible and save yourself a stamp.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:39 AM

The one from last year was like this:

My seasonal job ran out, so I applied and got approved.
Right around that time I had to serve a month in jail for a dui.
When I got out, I called them and they got the claim back on track, paying me for the week before I went in, and the week after I got out.
Within a month, I was back at my job (I work at Macys, so Ive worked 3 departments).
I simply reported my earnings, (that position was a month of fulltime, painting the store etc) which were all excessive , and when it ran out, I reported no hours and got the remaining money on the claim.

I'm thinking my best bet is to call them in the morning, mention there was no "mail by" date and say I made 200 bucks each week, so I dont need to mail it? And then mention that I have no hours this week and will definitely need my next form, and hope for the best!

I will look into webcert I have never heard of that.

Thanks again! I will post what happens

Old 03-22-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking my best bet is to call them in the morning,
Play with the website to find webcert, and make sure that you can log in. If you are missing anything, you can cover that in your call.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I work part-time, and I use web-cert, without any problems. You won't be able to log in, until EDD sends you a code in the mail.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I work part-time, and I use web-cert,
How long has that been possible? A year, 6-months ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment