Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:52 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,118,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicoast22 View Post
is this confusing to EDD?
Makes it sounds like you quit. You've got to get better at filling out your UI applications or you're going to keep causing trouble for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
last question,
Does my not being current on CPR certification etc... mean I am not ready and able to accept work? CPR and other certifications are mandatory for my past employer.
It can, but at most only two people know: You and maybe your employer. If you raise the issue, then it can be a problem so keep quiet. Let your employer bring it up if they are inclined to know that it can create problems for you. That's not your job.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:55 PM

22 posts, read 39,010 times
Ouch, you are probably right, I should not have put seasonal as I was laid off and have no job to return to, I have a letter from my past employer stating I was laid off etc...that is the reason I gave on the application as well.

I have heard of people cancelling claims and refiling, should I cancel, refile and correctly state I am not seasonal as I have no job to return to?

Old 07-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I have heard of people cancelling claims and refiling, should I cancel, refile and correctly state I am not seasonal as I have no job to return to?
They cancel to get better benefits when the quarter shifts, but it's unknown whether they do it to change their reason for the termination. Besides that, your employer still gets to tell their story and most of the time cancelling to undo something you wrote, probably won't work.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:43 PM

So will they deny me or call to clarify do you think?
And I am my own worst enemy, to make a long story short, my past employer sent me another letter after the lay off clarifying my pay rate change and discussing a sub list (they put me on it without my knowledge at minimum wage, I worked a special camp for a week at minimum wage without knowing my wage had been reduced so they sent me a memo to clarify), at the end of the memo/letter she "thanked me for my service and wished me success in my future endeavors" this sounded like goodbye to me so I thanked her for allowing me to serve and I advised that I did not ask to be on the sub list (my lay off letter specifically stated my name would be added to the sub list at my request) but it was a moot point as I did not have the required CPR stuff etc... I hate myself right now!

The memo/letter was dated 4/16, she said the sub list was good for 2 months and my new claim filed on 7/9/16, the list was expired when I filed my new claim.

So again my question is if you look in your crystal ball what do you see happening? Thanks again and again.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:12 PM

The story just gets messy. I don't know, but if you were working for $10/hr and your employer reduced your pay to minimum wage that is like being fired from your $10/hr job and refusing to work for less money, and working for less money is quite often "unsuitable" in the early days of a claim.

I personally recommend that you just say you were "fired," (maybe "laid off" because that's what you already said) and shut up and stop talking before you dig a hole that you can't climb out. The employer will get their chances to hang you out to dry, then at an appeal hearing your can decide what is the best way to go, but if you start playing all your cards now, your employer will be able to prepare. Don't give them that chance by keeping things close to the vest.

This initial determination is too easy to appeal. It's not the place to put in a lot of effort other than to not disqualify yourself. Save your money so that you'll be ok while you're maybe waiting on an appeal hearing, and hope for the best.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:36 PM

I think I have confused this a little too much, I would never ever say I got fired when I was legitimately laid off due to a program closure and I have a letter stating this and a letter of recommendation from them.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I would never ever say I got fired when I was legitimately laid off due to a program closure and I have a letter stating this and a letter of recommendation from them.
In CA, saying you were fired regardless of what you have in your possession is the safest thing to do to avoid having to deal with a "false statement" penalty. Yes, you can appeal a "false statement" and win with your evidence, but why go through the trouble when you don't have to. Now, you already picked "laid off," but if you go through this again, you'd be doing yourself a favor to always pick "fired."

We had a thread on here where someone walked out with a severance package, and the employer said they only did that because they didn't want the employee to go postal on their way out the door.

Do NOT be afraid to be fired for purposes of UI. If there is no misconduct or later determined to be a true lay off, that doesn't hurt you one bit or cause you extra work, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Update;
I ultimately received a payment on my new claim with the new weekly benefit amount (my claim is back to back) but today when I logged in to EDD homepage I saw an interview scheduled, I called EDD and he said my last employer was fighting it saying they offered me work with "no response". This is very confusing to me. They said they were going to mail work request forms for the next year but I never got them, never got a phone call etc...but I did get an email saying "thanks for your service and good luck..." and a layoff letter that offered no work.
Is there a time limit on an employers response time? I have already been paid 1 week on my new claim but have not received a second claim form yet. Will this be enough for EDD to deny me or cancel my claim?

This is a very stressful process, thanks for any help.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:25 PM

You might have gotten one payment because you said "laid off." You might find the payments are suspended until the issue is resolved. It's too soon to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment