Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 08:46 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,109,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjohannsen View Post
I have been directed to skip the phone interview but also been told to take the phone interview.
You were only told to do the phone interview if you have proof positive that you were laid off or your company closed. You were instructed not to take the call if you can't prove that you were blameless in your termination. I always tell fired and laid off people to skip the call because it just works better if an appeal is necessary, and then I don't have to get into the nuances of "why"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 AM

11 posts, read 28,014 times
Hi all! Similar situation here.

I very recently started receiving UI, I applied and got my first payment deposited 7/30 after a phone interview. Come this past Sunday (8/5) it was time to certify for the weeks 7/21-8/03 and so I did just that. I answered that I had looked for work, was willing and available to accept work, did not turn down work (as I had the first time) and then logged my efforts in searching. It's now 5 days later and it's still saying pending for those 2 weeks. How long does it usually take to get paid? I'm just worried my bills will come up before it finally goes through. Thanks!

Edit to say I do have an appointment scheduled the 19th of this month for Personalized Job Search Assistance. Is that holding up my deposit for some reason??

Last edited by chonkykat96; 08-10-2019 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Update to add info I left out

Old 08-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonkykat96 View Post
Edit to say I do have an appointment scheduled the 19th of this month for Personalized Job Search Assistance. Is that holding up my deposit for some reason??
No. That won't affect your benefits until the 19th.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:51 PM

Is it normal then for it to take this long? I've received my first payment already from when I first started benefits but for the second certification period it's been almost a week and it's still "Pending".

Old 08-11-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
deposited 7/30 after a phone interview.
This tells me that you probably applied as a quitter or a fired person because laid off people don't have phone interviews unless the phone interview had nothing to do with WHY you lost our job.

Quote:
Is it normal then for it to take this long?
Not based on the above.

If you're not in CA and just piggybacked your question in this thread, then that might explain it. In some other states your UI benefits can be REdetermined away from you.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:31 AM

My phone interview was just to clarify my last day I was employed since I had mistakenly entered 2 different dates when applying. (I wasn't fired and I also didn't quit. I was employed through a staffing agency so the assignment completed and I didn't have a job anymore.) Once the date was cleared up I was good to go and my first payment was deposited the same day.

I am in California, yes. It's just super strange to me that so many in here say their's usually go through super quickly and mine is taking a long time.

Last edited by chonkykat96; 08-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
(I wasn't fired and I also didn't quit. I was employed through a staffing agency so the assignment completed and I didn't have a job anymore.)
What you THINK, doesn't matter.

The fact that your benefits are now "pending" means that the STAFFING AGENCY is telling the UI people that you QUIT, REFUSED WORK, or were FIRED, and until that issue is resolved in your favor, you're not getting any more UI so budget accordingly.

I thought you had a REAL phone interview, you didn't.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 PM

Ok So I logged in today to see that I have another phone appointment scheduled for the 23rd, still haven't received my second deposit and won't until that call I assume.

I worry my agency told them I was fired even though they told me explicitly over the phone (they're not located near me so all contact was digital after hiring) that I was not fired but that "How a staffing agency works is that an employer doesn't need a legitimate reason to let someone go." and "We never had any complaints about you and have nothing bad to say about you.".

It was a very messy situation that occurred and I was 100% blind sighted as I had never had any warning on my performance to let me know I had ever done anything wrong (which according to the woman I spoke to, I didn't do anything wrong). I went above and beyond for that job and we were understaffed for the last 1.5 months I was working there so I was pulling like 35-40 hour weeks (normally I worked about 28hr/wk) and picking up every shift I could to make sure we didn't leave our area unstaffed since my lead could only work like 15hr weeks. We worked in a store as a third party so if I had just been let go and that was that I could've 100% gotten a job with the store itself but my lead at the time (who made the choice to let me go for no clear reason), then proceeded to slander me and say all sorts of things about me making it impossible to get a job there.

What should I expect during this call? How do I handle it if they tell me that my company did say I was fired? Can you even be fired from a staffing agency? I still am with the agency just not with an assignment currently. I can still get assignments from them but because they're a commute from me none of the jobs would be within a reasonable distance. Would they even be able to say that I was fired? Is that considered "refusing work" even though it's a distance issue that I can't control?

Last edited by chonkykat96; 08-12-2019 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
What should I expect during this call?
In CA, unless you know for a fact that your employer will be telling EDD that you were "laid off," you are to always selected FIRED. I don't care what the employer tells you to your face. You always pick fired unless you are 100% positive that the employer will be selecting laid off.

Now, you have to deal with a "false statement" penalty. That is the only thing you are to focus on. What can you do to prove that you were "laid off"? Probably nothing. Your credibility is shot.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 PM

On the application for benefits I put that the "Assignment Completed" for explanation of the Laid Off/No Work since it's a staffing agency. I don't have any proof that they told me I wasn't fired however I am still with the staffing agency so if I was fired wouldn't I not be with them anymore? I have an email that simply tells me that the assignment has ended ("Your assignment at Kodak has ended") but doesn't go into any detail, which is why I had to call to find out what happened.

What happens with the false statement penalty then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment