Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 06:38 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,786,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2020 View Post
I think I can.....but again, want to make sure I don't miss some nuance. My employer never gave me any info at all, but I should have gone online and read the handbook. The Effective date thing really got me. Wish effective date would be date you filed! more logical

If the original claim is not cancelled, another
California claim cannot be fi led for 52 weeks.

All this means if claim is not cancelled the original claim period will be valid and open for 52 weeks. I don't think they are implying it is a problem to open a new claim if you can cancel one. I wouldn't cancel and open the next day. I would wait until the next Sunday to open a new claim (of whatever day of the week sunday or monday is the new start of an unemployment week). Just my opinion. who knows if doing a cancel and open in the same week will "jam" the system and confuse it. Maybe I'm wrong but you will know if it's cancelled because you won't be able to open a new one until it is. It will tell you that you have an open claim already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 07:07 PM

17 posts, read 43,113 times
Thanks thats how I read it as well. But given how convulated you never know!

Old 04-28-2020, 10:08 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,628,989 times
When reaching the end of a quarter, timing of when to file is critical. Had OP waited to file until Sunday, April 5th, CA (and other states) would have used the ABP ending 3/31/20 and dated the claim 04/05/20. Filing at any time during a week, backdates the claim to the preceding Sunday, which in OP's case, resulted in an ABP ending 12/31/19.

A good general rule for those who've been unemployed during the potential base period except for the months immediately preceding unemployment is to never file for benefits the last week of a calendar quarter. Others should strategically look at their strongest earning periods and file accordingly. In some cases, excluding the last earnings quarter from the claim can preserve it for a future claim. CA will pay benefits on just one base period of earnings. Most states won't.

Fwiw, there are several states which will use earnings to date of filing (NJ comes to mind). CA isn't one of them. There are also states which provide for no alternate base period.

OP, since there are no benefits due under this claim, in spite of your having claimed benefits, CA will allow you to cancel this claim and refile now. CA does its best to accommodate filing date errors as these are very common. Normally, the best way to handle this is to speak with a rep who can cancel the claim.

You can also write CA, provide all necessary data, and ask to withdraw the claim. If you do this, you will not be able to open a new claim until the other has been cancelled. So, phone is still the best way of accomplishing this.

You could also try sending an email just to get on the record within the 30-day timeframe, and follow up the email with a mailed request.

Good luck getting through. It's still your best option.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-28-2020 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment