Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 10:49 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddencallan View Post
I have appointment but I need to know right now what happens if I get fired, can I file anything ?
Welfare, charity assistance, maybe some local social services program or apply for Social Security Disability are the only options I can think of after you are fired.

Unless you have a personally owned disability policy, you probably can't get state or employer disability because you're no longer employed once fired.

Unemployment is out as you have a documented Able or Available disqualification.

EEOC suit is out as you had to have made a Request for a Reasonable Accommodation under the ADA to the employer before they terminated you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 07:35 AM

957 posts, read 537,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddencallan View Post
So I work 2 jobs here In Washington state, Walgreens and Starbucks, I have this heart condition called afib and im on medication for it but the medication doesn't seem to be working, I go into afib attacks and lay on the ground and not move till it goes out of fib, so its caused me to lay on the ground at work before or leave work, but I've done this a few times at Walgreens or before work, last week I went into afib at Starbucks and went home and layed for 3 hours till it went out of fib and had to call out of Walgreens, but now Walgreens is telling me if I keep calling out I Ill get fired because of their attendance policy, I can't go to urgent care or ER every time I go into afib, if I did they would tell me not to go to work, but that's just not a possible thing to do consistently, and im worried about getting fired cause I can't afford rent and insurance and car payment just working at Starbucks, im only 21 and have no family here, what are my options? I think I don't have any more call outs aloud! Thank you!
First.. contact your HR dept in both places and ask for your FMLA provider number - and advise them you will be filing for FMLA. (if they tell you that you dont have enough hours to qualify for FMLA... which is Federal - then tell them you are going to be filing for Washington State Family Leave).

When you file for the FMLA you will have them backdate it to the last episode you had (where you had to leave work).
Your doctor will fill out the paperwork for it. You will ask for INTERMITTANT time off. This means that WHEN you have an attack... you can take the day and NOT be fired for it. Its 'protected' time off.

With Intermittant FMLA you can take it an hour at a time... or a day at a time or several days at a time. Be sure and let your doctor know that you need it open ended like that.

And as everyone else has urged.. SEE YOUR DOCTOR ASAP.

Kacey

https://paidleave.wa.gov/

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment