Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindirose View Post
This link does not answer the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Representative Jim McDermott, Democrat of Washington, who is chairman of a House panel with authority over the Unemployment Insurance program, has announced his intention to introduce a bill to provide 13 extra weeks of Unemployment Insurance benefits to workers in the highest unemployment states -– states with unemployment rates above 9%.

McDermott's office said that the bill will be introduced on Thursday, July 30, and likely acted upon by Congress in September after the summer recess.

New Jersey's unemployment rate for June 2009 was 9.2%, seasonally unadjusted.

McDermott to initiate bill to add 13 more weeks Unemployment benefits(per NELP)...
I've started another thread on the subject of the next round of extensions at Unemployment Benefits: Extension After EB.

You will find the most up-to-date info in this forum there about the next extensions after EB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRebel View Post
It looks like the extended benefits bill is gathering momentum...good news for the unemployed with exhausted or soon to be exhausted benefits...
TheHill.com - Congress moves to extend unemployment benefits
Just FYI -- I have posted the latest information on the most recently proposed extension of unemployment benefits on a new thread:
Unemployment Benefits: Extension After EB - Part 2

Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 38,023 times
does anyone know how long the benefits will go up to as my husband is on his 79 weeks already. He is still not able to find work.......

Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzygirl2 View Post
does anyone know how long the benefits will go up to as my husband is on his 79 weeks already. He is still not able to find work.......
At what point does unemployment benefits just become welfare? It can't just go on forever. There is just no way after 79 weeks that you can't find some kind of job. Maybe not in the same field, maybe something with a big pay cut, but something?

I have no problem with it as long as it does not use taxpayers funds, but if it keeps getting extended, it has to come from somewhere and I am not willing as a taxpayer to foot this kind of bill.

After 20 weeks I would have started a housecleaning business or something...

Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 16,002 times
Mr. Paolella,

I would like to ask you a question about this forum, it is to my understanding that it is against City-Data's Forum policy to advertise business on this forum. Now, is there something that you know which you could kindly share with me on that subject? Is there a fee for advertisement privileges?
I appreciate your answer or clarification on this question. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzygirl2 View Post
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the UI benefits currently in effect for those eligible are:

(1) Initial Benefits - up to 26 weeks

(2) EUC Tier I - up to 20 weeks; under legislation enacted in December 2009, a person must exhaust initial benefits by February 21 to qualify for Tier I.

(3) EUC Tier II - up to 14 weeks; legislation enacted in November 2008 added an additional week to the 13 weeks originally provided by Tier II; under legislation enacted in December 2009, a person must exhaust their Tier I benefits by February 28 to qualify for Tier II.

(4) EUC Tier III - up to 13 weeks; enacted in November 2008, states must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6% to trigger Tier III; under legislation enacted in December 2009, a person must exhaust their Tier II benefits by February 28 to qualify for Tier III.

(5) EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks; enacted in November 2008, states must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5% to trigger Tier IV; under legislation enacted in December 2009, a person must exhaust their Tier III benefits by February 28 to qualify for Tier IV.

(6) Extended Benefits (EB) - Extended benefits vary from state to state in length, eligibility criteria, and expiration date. It's best to check your state's DOL website to see how EB works in your state. Note that if you exhausted Tier I -- or Tier I and Tier II -- before Tiers III and IV were enacted, you may have already collected all or part of your state's EB.

As an example of how a state may administer EB, in New Jersey EB provides up to an additional 13 weeks; its eligibility criteria are more stringent than for initial benefits or for the EUC Tiers; and New Jersey's EB program ends when New Jersey’s three-month average unemployment rate is less than 6%. When New Jersey's three-month average unemployment rate is at least 8%, that triggers "High EB" -- which increases EB benefits to 20 weeks.

At this time, the entire EUC Tier program will expire at the end of February 2010. That means if you meet the cut-off deadlines indicated in the descriptions above, you will be able to collect the full length of that Tier. However, you will be unable to apply for another Tier starting March 1, 2010 -- because the EUC Tiers will no longer exist (unless Congress extends the cut-off date past February 28, 2010).

Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Technician View Post
Mr. Paolella,

I would like to ask you a question about this forum, it is to my understanding that it is against City-Data's Forum policy to advertise business on this forum. Now, is there something that you know which you could kindly share with me on that subject? Is there a fee for advertisement privileges?
I appreciate your answer or clarification on this question. Thank you.
Yes, no advertising is allowed. You cannot mention your firm, you cannot solicit business. You are allowed the badges at the top and whatnot but any mention of your services or where you work, etc. is banned.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Looks like there may have been some updates.

EUC Tier II - In order to receive EUC Tier 2 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 1 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009.

2nd Paragraph of this page: Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes, no advertising is allowed. You cannot mention your firm, you cannot solicit business. You are allowed the badges at the top and whatnot but any mention of your services or where you work, etc. is banned.
Thank You Mr. Paolella.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Technician View Post
Looks like there may have been some updates.

EUC Tier II - In order to receive EUC Tier 2 benefits. An individual must exhaust their EUC Tier 1 claim by benefit week ending December 26, 2009.

2nd Paragraph of this page: Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

There has been an update certainly - Tier 1 must be exhausted by Feb 21 2010 to be able to qualify for Tier 2 (the NJ website is behind)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment