Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Your grandfather, however helpful with your education, is living in the 1950s when there were plenty of jobs because people were all dead in the war. People from that era forget that. They also forget how you could walk out of one job and get another in a day or so. In addition, the government was building cheap housing for them and people could own a house on one slim income. Moms were APPLAUDED for staying home and being homemakers and parents not vilified because they 'are lazy' (like today).

I hope you can get something put together so you have some money. I remember being a poor college student. Studying should come first.

Maybe you can tutor...
Thanks. My grandfather is very much from that school of thought. In addition, he doesn't seem to understand that I have no control of my school schedule (as a graduating senior at a small college) or graduation requirements (the internship) which make it impossible to have the open availability many employers not only want, but can pretty much demand in this economy.

I have ads up to tutor in English, Spanish, economics, and social studies with particular emphasis on AP and IB exams as well as babysitting ads with references. Unfortunately, my college is located in a fairly poor city with 2 colleges on the periphery so there is no lack of volunteer tutor programs at the local schools. The neighborhoods who can feasibly afford tutors or date night babysitters are not accessible by public transportation and are not within walking distance.

I'm trying to start up a knitting/crocheting business on the side, but that takes startup money that I do not yet have as well as being a fairly competitive market- people aren't going to pay $20 for a nice hat or pair of socks when they can get something at Walmart for a few dollars! With no real form of transportation, a lot of the little side business ideas I have (reselling things on ebay, tutoring, babysitting, housesitting, dogwalking, or even just working in big commercial areas) are really impossible without a car. :\

A few new job opportunities have popped up today for my school so hopefully one of them will work out for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 PM

29 posts, read 61,119 times
I agree with you "Endzone" for me it's just the opposite I worked for the same company in the insurance industry for 25 years and was let go due to office politics and a department restructuring.

Maybe it would have been better off for me if I did hop from one job to another, it seems you get more respect in the long run.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:48 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
My rant is about these screening software at the time of application. You spend 15 minutes going through 10 screens of questions, including practically repeating your resume, only to be rejected within 10 minutes of your submission. Yesterday, in an effort to help a friend about to be displaced from his position, I sent him a job posting I'm sure he hasn't seen. He is currently a CIO of a hospital, and the position I referred to him on a direct hire basis (no recruiter) was for a Chief Medical Information Officer of a hospital, so he thought it was a good fit, like I did. He later told me in an e-mail that he applied for it and got immediately rejected. The only thing he didn't have was an MD from one of three states, and even that was a "preferred" not a "required". I mean, how many MD's out there can also be an IT guy! I'm pissed, he's dejected, but I've gone through what he's gone through. I can't imagine what it is in the resume/application that the invisible screener sees. I can get by live people...it seems we're helpless against computers!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 96,746 times
Like someone else said, I don't have the energy to rant. I bought into the line that I was going to get an advanced degree that would guarantee my place in a field that always needs people. Took out thousands in loans for grad school because, you know, I was getting an "extremely versatile" and "marketable" degree. Even though I sort of realized halfway through grad school that those professors hadn't been in the real world in 20 years and had NO clue about the current market. Ugh.

So, have been unemployed for 17 months, on unemployment for 8 months (kept thinking I'd find something, so never applied until I'd lost my home and several bills had went into collections, I was in total denial)...

Still not finding anything. I'm convinced my name is on some imaginary blacklist. "Do not hire wow30now, she smells bad" or something... who knows? I've sent out 100s of resumes/applications... both inside my field and without. I'm careful about which jobs I apply to and only trouble the agency/company if I know I meet the minimum stated qualifications. Some apps/letters take 2-3 hrs to prepare.. plus postage... but I do it anyway.

All for nothing...apparently. I'm doubting everything now... doubting why I chose this field, pondering every other field, realizing there's nothing else I'm qualified to do and that I don't even think I could get into another grad program because, hell, who would write my references? I haven't had a supervisor in a year and ahalf... and why would they write one for me if I've only done the awesome job of not haaving a job?

I think people who are employed don't understand how hard it is... emotionally and literally... to be without a job. I'm just getting nothing. Nothing.... I mean nothing... I feel like such an incredible failure. I'm 30 with nothing and no prospects. It sucks more than I can put into words.

ok, enough ranting, I guess I found the energy after all, ha. thanks for letting me rant. I do know it can be worse and that's why I haven't ranted before... at least I don't have children to depend on me... at least I have places to crash until I can get on my feet... it's just humiliating...

be well

Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 PM

140 posts, read 270,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie41 View Post
I agree with you "Endzone" for me it's just the opposite I worked for the same company in the insurance industry for 25 years and was let go due to office politics and a department restructuring.

Maybe it would have been better off for me if I did hop from one job to another, it seems you get more respect in the long run.
No, I think you did the right thing. You know that old saying, "A rolling stone collects no green moss".

Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I would hate to find out that the reason I didn't get a job was because of affirmative action or quotas.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow30now View Post
Like someone else said, I don't have the energy to rant. I bought into the line that I was going to get an advanced degree that would guarantee my place in a field that always needs people. Took out thousands in loans for grad school because, you know, I was getting an "extremely versatile" and "marketable" degree. Even though I sort of realized halfway through grad school that those professors hadn't been in the real world in 20 years and had NO clue about the current market. Ugh.

So, have been unemployed for 17 months, on unemployment for 8 months (kept thinking I'd find something, so never applied until I'd lost my home and several bills had went into collections, I was in total denial)...

Still not finding anything. I'm convinced my name is on some imaginary blacklist. "Do not hire wow30now, she smells bad" or something... who knows? I've sent out 100s of resumes/applications... both inside my field and without. I'm careful about which jobs I apply to and only trouble the agency/company if I know I meet the minimum stated qualifications. Some apps/letters take 2-3 hrs to prepare.. plus postage... but I do it anyway.

All for nothing...apparently. I'm doubting everything now... doubting why I chose this field, pondering every other field, realizing there's nothing else I'm qualified to do and that I don't even think I could get into another grad program because, hell, who would write my references? I haven't had a supervisor in a year and ahalf... and why would they write one for me if I've only done the awesome job of not haaving a job?

I think people who are employed don't understand how hard it is... emotionally and literally... to be without a job. I'm just getting nothing. Nothing.... I mean nothing... I feel like such an incredible failure. I'm 30 with nothing and no prospects. It sucks more than I can put into words.

ok, enough ranting, I guess I found the energy after all, ha. thanks for letting me rant. I do know it can be worse and that's why I haven't ranted before... at least I don't have children to depend on me... at least I have places to crash until I can get on my feet... it's just humiliating...

be well
Wow, that is tough. I thought I had it rough. I guess not. They say even during the Great Depression if you had a job it wasn't all that bad. BUT, if you didn't have a job, wow. There were men who just dug holes in the ground and lived in them.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would hate to find out that the reason I didn't get a job was because of affirmative action or quotas.
Yeah, that stuff is ugly. It's something that should have been done away with 20 years ago. But, it is a very powerful political tool for the democrats. They insist on a lock on the black vote without which they can not win elections. It is reverse racism.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Ranting about Unemployment is never a productive activity. I feel it's more productive to accept the challenge and come up with new ways to erase the unemployed label.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
I'm a 52-year-old male, and I've been looking for about 4 months now. In my lifetime I've never seen anything like this. It is tough. In fact if things got tight in the DFW, TX area, I would just hook em up to Seattle where I could always find a decent job (electronics) within 3 weeks. It's not possible to do that anymore because there isn't anything there either.

I think the policies of our government the past 20 years are really starting to hurt us. We allow thousands of illegal Mexicans to pour into their country every day. Then the good paying tech jobs are all sent overseas along with our manufacturing. It's finally starting to really hurt us. And, I would say things are not going to get any better for the foreseeable future. Real unemployment is probably close to 20%. When I get a job this next time, I am going to try hard to keep it. No more of this bouncing from job to job every 2 years. They say California is really bad.
You are correct sir. In fact I just read today that California has the worst unemployment rate in the country. Are we past Michigan now in unemployment? I guess we are. You are so correct about the outsourcing of all these jobs. Jobs are being shipped to places like India and China while we suffer here. I've been told the economy won't turn around for at least another 12 months. I have personally never, ever seen tough times such as this in my lifetime. I never thought the US economy would get this bad.

As I've said in a previous post, we deserve better than this. NO ONE should be unemployed in a country like the USA that has always been known as the land of opportunity. Opportunity for what? This is really outrageous. But in an ideal world, everyone would have a job. That just goes to show you that life is not fair because fairness is an ideal. Now I know that this is a ranting thread and I've already ranted enough. The only thing that all unemployed people can do is do the best they can to find work and as long as you do your best, you can't blame yourself. The rest is out of your hands. I have resumed looking for work after about 2-3 months and I even still rant sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment