Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 8,138 times

Advertisements

I, too, am a 52 year-old white male with a BS in Computer Science and 20 years in the trade. Was making six figures for last 10 years when I got laid off in Dec 2007. I've had many interviews in 2008, but never any call backs. So far, in 2009, I've had 2 interviews, again, no call backs. I send out 3 to 6 resumes every week. I was working with the latest tools and designs, so don't tell me to upgrade my skills.

Most of these jobs require "excellent communication skills", i.e. ability to speak and write in English.
Please tell me these jobs are not targeted to immigrant workers (H1B) for 25k a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,444,272 times
The reason our economy is so bad is the policies of outsourcing and offshoring - our manufacturing base, as well as many tech and service jobs, have been outsourced to India and China. Low wage jobs have been given to illegal immigrants. Stable, professional jobs have gone to foreign immigrants. Our own greed and selfish desire to maximize profits have done us in.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie41 View Post
To close my rant I feel many employers find the so called bad economy a welcome excuse to reap in more and more profits.
That is exactly what many organizations are doing.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,430,735 times
Hello everyone. I am so glad to see this thread! I almost thought about starting one earlier in the week with all of the lame, dumb excuses we keep hearing. This is kind of funny. I had a phone call this morning regarding a volunteer opportunity with our county's Landmarks and Historical Society. I have been trying for a year to even volunteer with them!After I get through with the brutal job search each week and manage some rental I own (another fun venture in today's economy, but I've been at it a long time and am doing better than most), it's good to see some pleasant, "normal" people. I always laugh when I hear the suggestions about dress, etc. For heavens sakes, I volunteer at the Governor's Mansion in Atlanta. I certainly know how to dress!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,430,735 times
Oops! I didn't mean to offend anyone who rents. It's like everything else, you remember the few bad ones.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,499,220 times
Not for me, but for my buddy who has a couple of felony convictions. Talk about hard to find a job! He is a nice guy, but he has a GSI conviction from several years ago, and is pretty much considered unemployable. The only thing people like that can do is start up their own businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment