Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,331,596 times

Advertisements

This thread was created for anyone who is currently unemployed or under-employed and just want to blow off some steam about some of the obstacles/issues you are having looking for work.

No offering "it will get better", "be glad with what you've got in this economy", "go back to school" advice please.

Just the RANTS ma'am (and sirs )....just the RANTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,493,092 times
Isn't that what all of these threads are anymore?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 PM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
I'm a college student who has been striking out completely trying to find a paid job. I've applied for literally everything on campus and gone to the on-campus job fair as well as refreshing the job posting board several times a day to be on top of it. Beyond that, I've applied to everything within a mile and a half walk from my apartment or where the bus into town takes us. Nada.

I have an unpaid internship but my grandfather, who is supporting me through college, is breathing down my neck about how "easy" it should be to find a minimum wage job and has decided to cut financial ties that he promised to maintain before I started college. In no means am I just being lazy- I really can't find anything!

I'm at this point worried about how I am going to eat if I don't find something soon. Typically my grandfather pays for food and books but decided not to this year last minute. It cleared out most of my savings to buy used books- and I only bought books that I knew wouldn't be in the library. I will graduate with no college loan debt but at this point I'm terrified about being in credit card debt just to feed myself.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,084,406 times
What I hate is to see ads for places I already sent my resume. I wonder if these jerks even read old resumes they have gotten before going ahead and placing new help wanted.

It's not a case of 'maybe I am not qualified.' It's more like I am overqualified but yes, I am willing to do it.

They seem to just want someone under a drooling fool at a lot of these positions so they stay forever and can take orders without questioning.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I

I have an unpaid internship but my grandfather, who is supporting me through college, is breathing down my neck about how "easy" it should be to find a minimum wage job and has decided to cut financial ties that he promised to maintain before I started college. In no means am I just being lazy- I really can't find anything!
Your grandfather, however helpful with your education, is living in the 1950s when there were plenty of jobs because people were all dead in the war. People from that era forget that. They also forget how you could walk out of one job and get another in a day or so. In addition, the government was building cheap housing for them and people could own a house on one slim income. Moms were APPLAUDED for staying home and being homemakers and parents not vilified because they 'are lazy' (like today).

I hope you can get something put together so you have some money. I remember being a poor college student. Studying should come first.

Maybe you can tutor...

Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM

96 posts, read 620,290 times
Would like to get all fired up for a good rant 'n rave but I just don't have the energy any more.I need to put that energy into finding my way through this mess.However......,I grow weary of hearing from well meaning people(all employed)"if you really wanted a job you would have one" .

Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
Would like to get all fired up for a good rant 'n rave but I just don't have the energy any more.I need to put that energy into finding my way through this mess.However......,I grow weary of hearing from well meaning people(all employed)"if you really wanted a job you would have one" .
Oh yeah. That's one of the favorites...or 'you have to 'get over' your anger/attitude and 'make it happen' and 'think in another way.'

I guess I am a fossil, I have always gotten jobs by either applying for them or sending out unsolicited resumes and having someone call me. I tried networking but 'it's a myth' unless you have a friend at a job with an opening. The average person/acquaintance doesn't WANT to help you and AVOIDS you if you start to even slip in 'unemployment' for fear they will be next.

I don't mind well meaning advice. I often ask people what I can do here (like what programs I should learn to be more marketable). But it's the 'it must be you' that gets me.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 PM

96 posts, read 620,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Oh yeah. That's one of the favorites...or 'you have to 'get over' your anger/attitude and 'make it happen' and 'think in another way.'

I guess I am a fossil, I have always gotten jobs by either applying for them or sending out unsolicited resumes and having someone call me. I tried networking but 'it's a myth' unless you have a friend at a job with an opening. The average person/acquaintance doesn't WANT to help you and AVOIDS you if you start to even slip in 'unemployment' for fear they will be next.

I don't mind well meaning advice. I often ask people what I can do here (like what programs I should learn to be more marketable). But it's the 'it must be you' that gets me.
I forgot about the"you need to get over(fill in the blank)I went to meeting at our local job service about 'The booming hidden job market'Basically they just used the word networking endlessly.I couldn't disagree with some of what they were saying,but around here(rural Idaho) you have to be either related to someone or part of the 'good ole' boy' network.If you are not one of those two things you are considered an outsider and out of luck.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM

29 posts, read 61,177 times
It's about time someone put out a good rant tread!
Good for you all who are brave enough to speak your own minds.
I am 51 years old and been reading the same old treads over and over again:
1) Ageism is all in your mind.
2) If your a male make yourself look like a 21 year old stud overnight.
3) Dye your hair, loss weight, carry yourself with a bright, alert and healthy attitude.
4) If you are lucky to even get to first base and get an interview make sure not to cough, sneeze or
clear your throat (Is this person sickly, our group health insurance premium is going to go up).

This is my own personal opinion and rant:
1) If you cannot find work by mid October that will be the end of your opportunities for 2009!
2) Check out the news on the internet (Where I live I follow the New York Times), how many articles
have you been seeing concerning unemployment in the last 4 to 6 months?
3) By the end of the first week of the new month, you see the same (1) article releasing last months
positive news that America lost only 210,000 jobs rather than 250,000 the previous month.
I figure by the end of 2010 we may break even (maybe!).
4) Close to 10% unemployed (This is the number of people that are receiving benefits) more like 25%
if you factor in everyone.

To close my rant I feel many employers find the so called bad economy a welcome excuse to reap in more and more profits.

I hope I am wrong because this applies to me also!

But I seriously feel nothing will change at all for the now unemployed till at least the beginning of 2011 at best.

Sorry to have written such a negative post, but this is the way I strongly feel.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN YOUR JOB SEARCH HELL!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 PM

140 posts, read 270,701 times
I'm a 52-year-old male, and I've been looking for about 4 months now. In my lifetime I've never seen anything like this. It is tough. In fact if things got tight in the DFW, TX area, I would just hook em up to Seattle where I could always find a decent job (electronics) within 3 weeks. It's not possible to do that anymore because there isn't anything there either.

I think the policies of our government the past 20 years are really starting to hurt us. We allow thousands of illegal Mexicans to pour into their country every day. Then the good paying tech jobs are all sent overseas along with our manufacturing. It's finally starting to really hurt us. And, I would say things are not going to get any better for the foreseeable future. Real unemployment is probably close to 20%. When I get a job this next time, I am going to try hard to keep it. No more of this bouncing from job to job every 2 years. They say California is really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment