Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM

194 posts, read 314,466 times

Advertisements

/If that becomes the case? How long before we could expect something completely new? I mean how long will we be in limbo. Weeks, months?

While this takes place (if it even does) over 1 million will have nothing coming in, how is that going to go over with all these people, what will they do? Where do they turn?

I'm at a loss to think that they could do this when there are so many that still are owed UI funds ( owed may be the wrong word but you get my drift)

Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 PM

162 posts, read 313,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
I agree -- that why I added this observation to my earlier post about The Houston Chronicle Report...
i've still got this overwhelming feeling that something is going to get done but probably by next friday, not anytime this week. I have a feeling that they will have to offset a bit more of that 36 billion not offset. The Dems are going to have to accept this.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,817 times
Has anyone heard about the "Frank Bank" bill?

I just read about it here:

H.R. 4213 stalled, Rep. McDermott abandons 99ers, Ed Schultz

Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM

377 posts, read 589,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
I'm at a loss to think that they could do this when there are so many that still are owed UI funds ( owed may be the wrong word but you get my drift)
That is the exact reason they are doing it. We're between the crosshairs and our struggle is being used to force the other side to give in. The republicans want the entire country to know that they are serious about cutting the deficit (they get a lot of criticism for allowing spending to grow during Bush's years remember--criticism from the democrats), and the the democrats want the entire country to know that the republicans are evil and hate people who are unemployed.

We're being used deliberately to force people to listen to their messages. Thing is, it's getting late in the game and they realize they have to stop with the grandstanding, and actually pass something before people are demanding their heads on a stick.

This is just old-fashioned politics. Make grand gestures, then back off at the last second because that's the only way to ever pass something.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,847,706 times
Quote:
One looking for the silver lining in this could reasonably hope that this abandonment of the still overly complex HR 4213 could clear the way for new, stand-alone legislation that will extend federal unemployment benefits -- if both parties can resolve their differences on funding for this issue.
That may be the only way we will get a decision that moves the extension deadlines foward. Let's hope so.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 PM

194 posts, read 314,466 times
In my opinion it's something that really has no bearing on them, they will get voted back in because we are not in control here. When Nov comes I doubt that we will make that much of a difference in who gets voted in or out. There are more people working than there are unemployed and the person who has not been affected by this really does not pay attention to our problems. It has been that way before and it will happen again sorry to say. We can all vote but we are only a fraction of the voters.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 PM

377 posts, read 589,267 times
We're at least 9.7 percent of the voters who are of age to work, not to mention all the people who gave up looking for work. The real number is higher. That is not an insignificant number.

And the unemployed are not living in a vaccuum. Each of us have people in our lives who are affected by what we are going through.

And people who fear they might lose their jobs are watching this as well.

Whine and moan if it fails, not before.

The unemployment rate is extremely important to the politicians. In fact, many are scared of it.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
Has anyone heard about the "Frank Bank" bill?

I just read about it here:

H.R. 4213 stalled, Rep. McDermott abandons 99ers, Ed Schultz
Specifically, "Barney Frank has introduced the Frank Bank Levy Proposal, which would tax banks with more than $50 billion in assets, and hedge funds with more than $10 billion, and use the money to fund $4 billion for neighborhood assistance and foreclosure help for the jobless with good credit."

Just FYI, nothing in the Barney Frank proposal to extend federal unemployment benefits or the COBRA premium subsidy or COBRA.

More related to the topic of this thread is another item in that blog about Representative Jim McDermott (D-WA) refusing to get involved with the 99ers -- despite Ed Schultz's direct appeal to McDermott to carry a letter directly to the President about the issue.

This is particularly disappointing to those of us who remember that it was McDermott who went to bat in the House last year and really championed the passage of Tiers I and II -- and then of Tiers III and IV.

Nevertheless, Schultz appears to remain committed to the cause of the 99ers -- so perhaps he'll be able to get the support of a different legislator.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 PM

208 posts, read 552,431 times
Dear Nobodywantsme:
"I will not vote yes on this bill without full funding"
-Senator Nelson
There, I said it

Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,765 times
Default Huffington Post Confirms Eaarlier Houston Chronicle Report

Quote:
The Houston Chronicle is reporting that a senior Senate Democratic aide said this evening that several days' worth of negotiations for passage of HR 4213 with a handful of moderate Republicans had failed and that a vote later this week to break the filibuster was also likely to fail. Democrats would then abandon the bill. The aide required anonymity to speak frankly about internal party deliberations.
GOP senators may still block more jobless benefits | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7077025.html - broken link)
Arthur Delaney of The HuffingtonPost.com is confirming an earlier report that -- according to a senior Democratic aide -- Democratic leaders in the Senate have apparently failed to win enough support to pass HR 4213. [See copy of earlier post above.]

"I've never been involved in anything that's been revised so often and in so many different ways," said Senator Max Baucus (D-Mont.), who worked with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to try to win support for the bill.

"Sen. Baucus and Sen. Reid did everything they can to try to pick up the handful of votes needed to overcome the Republican filibuster" said the aide. Senator Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) has said repeatedly he would not vote for the measure unless its cost was completely offset, so Reid and Baucus focused on moderate Maine Republicans Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, who demanded more cuts to the bill if they were to break the unified GOP opposition. But "it looks like we're going to come up short," said the aide.

The next procedural vote in the Senate on HR 4213 is expected to take place either late Thursday or early Friday.

Unemployment: Outlook Grim For Jobs Bill Ahead Of Vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment