Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,812,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Who are you to condemn me?
You must realize (if you are who you say you are) there are many schools of thought regarding spirits, and the paranormal.
If you are, or were engaged in study, as you claim, you would know this.
It is not an exact science, and many things considered paranormal behavior are open to interpretation.
I perhaps know of things in the field that are contrary to what you may know, and vice versa.
To condemn with no hint of my involvement in this field is somewhat disingenuous on your part.
As with anyone who studies this subject, I too must make an informed decision of a particular study I may be involved in.
If you have a alternative opinion to mine,that is fine.
That just means we have not read, or based our opinions on the same group of facts, that our studies were from different sources.
You came across as being the second coming of Christ in your better than thou attitude.
I base my opinions on what I have read, heard, and been involved in over the years.
You yourself stated you don't know the makeup of the spirit.
That tells me you have not read anything that would broaden your thinking as to what the spirit is comprised of.
I on the other hand have, and the example I stated in the post was as a result of what I can only conclude , is a reliable source.
To say that no one knows is a deposition of your lack of involvement in the study of spirits.
It would appear from your further post in answer to the OP, many of your remarks and opinions are based, not on spirit behavior, but everyday common sense.
You asked about any remodel of the house, changes in decorating, emotional matters concerning the occupants of the house.
Any one , even a layman, in the field would assume these actions might possibly result in paranormal behavior.
Frankly, as much as you tried to discredit me, I think you aren't nearly as brilliant as you would have us believe you are.
Not knowing you, I can't say for sure, but I think it safe to say that I have been involved with the study, and research of spirits, and the afterlife, longer than you have been living.
You know nothing of me, or my background, and to post on a public forum your unfounded remarks concerning my state of knowledge in the field is disingenuous to say the least,and you will waste no more of my time.
Bob.

I detest arguing in this forum. But I just have to say I think your former post and this one as well makes you seem as if you and only you understand the paranormal. No need for anyone to act superior and pretend to have the answers when anyone and everyone knows that NO ONE has the answers. We can only share what we experience. Your post is very rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,356,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Who are you to condemn me?
You must realize (if you are who you say you are) there are many schools of thought regarding spirits, and the paranormal.
If you are, or were engaged in study, as you claim, you would know this.
It is not an exact science, and many things considered paranormal behavior are open to interpretation.
I perhaps know of things in the field that are contrary to what you may know, and vice versa.
To condemn with no hint of my involvement in this field is somewhat disingenuous on your part.
As with anyone who studies this subject, I too must make an informed decision of a particular study I may be involved in.
If you have a alternative opinion to mine,that is fine.
That just means we have not read, or based our opinions on the same group of facts, that our studies were from different sources.
You came across as being the second coming of Christ in your better than thou attitude.
I base my opinions on what I have read, heard, and been involved in over the years.
You yourself stated you don't know the makeup of the spirit.
That tells me you have not read anything that would broaden your thinking as to what the spirit is comprised of.
I on the other hand have, and the example I stated in the post was as a result of what I can only conclude , is a reliable source.
To say that no one knows is a deposition of your lack of involvement in the study of spirits.
It would appear from your further post in answer to the OP, many of your remarks and opinions are based, not on spirit behavior, but everyday common sense.
You asked about any remodel of the house, changes in decorating, emotional matters concerning the occupants of the house.
Any one , even a layman, in the field would assume these actions might possibly result in paranormal behavior.
Frankly, as much as you tried to discredit me, I think you aren't nearly as brilliant as you would have us believe you are.
Not knowing you, I can't say for sure, but I think it safe to say that I have been involved with the study, and research of spirits, and the afterlife, longer than you have been living.
You know nothing of me, or my background, and to post on a public forum your unfounded remarks concerning my state of knowledge in the field is disingenuous to say the least,and you will waste no more of my time.
Bob.
not gonna get into a pizzing contest over this with you. you aren't really refuting any of my points, just going on about your offended ego. you clearly state on two occasions that something couldn't have been the way she said, because from your studies, you have seen no evidence of a ghost being able to effect physically a chair or a bed they sit down on. this is not really being very true to what you yourself regard as a field with many varying opinions. you "doubted" so much of her story, based on the fact that you had never heard of this or that, as well as stating that "for years and years" you had studied the subject. you simply presented yourself as an authority, which you clearly aren't. and i am not either. in fact, i question anyone's so called authority on the spirit world. the only ones who truly know are on the other side, the rest is speculation. this field is rife with pretenders, fakers, drama queens and the rare one with their feet on the ground. i chose to be the latter. giving in to anything else is a discredit to the whole field. sorry i offended your ego, but this isn't about you. its about this woman and her crazy basement. you will get over it.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:13 PM

24,138 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I hate basements, man. Don't ever want to buy a house with one.

But my personal feelings aside -- I'd check to see if the original owner is still alive.
I do too! There's an old song by The Ramones that basically and succinctly describes my feelings about basements. The lyrics are
"Hey Daddy-O

I don't wanna go

down to the Basement

There's something down there

I don't wanna go

down to the base..."

Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,356,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I do too! There's an old song by The Ramones that basically and succinctly describes my feelings about basements. The lyrics are
"Hey Daddy-O

I don't wanna go

down to the Basement

There's something down there

I don't wanna go

down to the base..."
i tried to rep you for that, apparently, i have given thee too many reps in a row! this is one of my favorite ramones songs : )
(sorry off topic)

Old 08-02-2012, 02:11 PM

24,138 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i tried to rep you for that, apparently, i have given thee too many reps in a row! this is one of my favorite ramones songs : )
(sorry off topic)
So I repped you! It's all good! I knew the group personally and as you might know, most of them have passed on.
I knew one especially well ( we dated for a while) and I had an experience with him after his death. Not in a basement though. He hated them as much as I do.

And actually something did happen to him in a basement when he was twelve. Something supernatural. He grew up in a high rise building in Forest Hills Queens and once when he was practicing with his teenage band down there, he saw shadow figures and the figure of a man hanging from a pipe. As though he had hung himself. Then it disappeared. No one else saw it.

His mom used to ask him to take the laundry down their and after that, he understandably never wanted to. She thought he was full of crap and trying to get out of his chores.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 PM

8,584 posts, read 11,010,695 times
Quote:
I detest arguing in this forum. But I just have to say I think your former post and this one as well makes you seem as if you and only you understand the paranormal. No need for anyone to act superior and pretend to have the answers when anyone and everyone knows that NO ONE has the answers. We can only share what we experience. Your post is very rude.
I think you are incorrect.
If my post leave the impression that I, and only I know the paranormal beyond every one else, you must be reading something into them that does not exist.
I have stated in other post that paranormal behavior more often than not is left up to one's own interpretation.
I only express in my post what "I" believe.
I don't expect everybody to adhere to my beliefs.
I can't force anyone to believe what I do, and because I feel I have decent sources for the things I believe, I state the facts as they are presented to me.
If you disagree with that, then that becomes your problem, not mine.
Making a blanket statement that I, or any one is rude for posting what they believe, is a bit immature wouldn't you say?
Perhaps you should re-consider your statement.
Bob.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:03 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,102,061 times
so anyway, I asked some of the long term neighbors what this property was before the houses were built and they said it was all woods. So, I looked at old maps and found out that this area was all farmland. Before that the Lenape Indians were here.

It didn't really help me much to know this information I think, , but it was fascinating to find out.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:00 PM

506 posts, read 1,162,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
so anyway, I asked some of the long term neighbors what this property was before the houses were built and they said it was all woods. So, I looked at old maps and found out that this area was all farmland. Before that the Lenape Indians were here.

It didn't really help me much to know this information I think, , but it was fascinating to find out.
Fascinating to find out that cows pooped in your house?

Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 PM

8,584 posts, read 11,010,695 times
Quote:

Well, I did a little research on the Lenape Indians, and they spoke their own distinct language , depending on the area they lived in, and that was not english.
That rules out your basement visitor as being one of them, when the word "Hey" was spoken in english.
Obviously you feel something is there, and perhaps you could do a little more investigation of your property.
Perhaps someone involved in building the house, met an untimely death while working there.
I don't know how you could research this, but it is worth a try.
From what I have learned over the years,with humans that meet with an untimely death, their spirit, many times, will remains in close proximity to where life ended.
I am not saying you were visited by any spirit, but if that is what you believe happened, then it would be interesting if you could research to help find answers to whatever is causing the disturbance in your basement.
Now, there are ways of dealing with this, but most don't like to go that one extra step.
By extra step I mean contact.
You could, with very little equipment, set up a recorder in the basement, and you, or one of the boys could try to make contact.
All you would need is a recorder, a mic, and some other electrical device (radio, tv, computer etc..)
If you want instructions on how to set this up, you can send me a Pm.
Bob.
Bob.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,321,720 times
Quote:
We've lived in our home almost 12 yrs. and haven't had any strange occurrences. But recently, I'd say within the last year some strange stuff has been going on but I just ignored it and chalked it up to my imagination.

Recently my 23 yr. old son told me that something touched his back while he was in the basement and said 'hey' in his ear. He said it happened as couple of times but again, I just chalked it up to his imagination or figured it was just basement noise. But, the other day my older son went downstairs to play his electric drum set. With that drum set he wears large headphones so he can hear the drums. He can't hear any outside noises with them on either. Anyway, he said he was playing the drums and he felt someone put a hand on his shoulder so he turned around to see who it was but no one was there, and then he said someone said 'hey' in his ear. Not through the headphones but in his left ear.

That son wasn't aware that his brother had had the same experience until I told him.

Any idea what's going on? Why? Why now?
Hearing voices while having noise cancelling headphones on suggests that the phenomenon is taking place in the brain and not in the ear. The fact that two people heard the voice suggests that it is not a biological problem for your older son but something that is triggering this phenomena in anyone who happens to be there at the right place and the right time. You've said in subsequent posts that you have had some remodelling done, would this also include some rewiring? If so it could be an electromagnetic field (EMF) problem causing hallucinations. The auditory and somatosensory regions of the brain are right next to each other so it's quite possible that standing in one spot in the basement could trigger both regions, making it feel and sound like someone is touching them and talking to them. A way to check this would be to find out if they were standing in approximately the same place in the basement, also did the voice and touch occur on the same side of the body? The way you described it sounds like the pulse hit him first in the primary somatosensory cortex (specifically toward the top of the head) then as he turned his head at the perceived touch it hit him in the auditory cortex (which is lower down on the side of the head). So you can imagine someone feeling like someone has touched their arm and looking down and sideways which would place those regions in about the some place one ofter the other (I hope you can understand that explanation). If you really want to test the theory you could get an EMF meter and take readings but that might be taking things a bit far for something that seems rather innocuous. Although high EMF readings are thought to be a health concern so it might be worth checking out the wiring just to be sure.

I'm not saying there was nothing supernatural there. I'm just offering another possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal