U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 14,712,336 times
Reputation: 10066

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I mentioned the DC sniper as an example counter to what you were saying as fact. There are actually areas in this world where people do go about their daily lives in fear. Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and possibly Nigeria. These all counter what you are saying.
Wait, so living in America is like living in a third world country? You believe the US could be the US if it suddenly became worse than Somalia? Hint: No it wouldn't.

Quote:
You continue to insult..
WTH? How have I insulted you? Because I don't bow down to your opinion and stop disagreeing with you? Show me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,168 posts, read 3,603,730 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Wait, so living in America is like living in a third world country? You believe the US could be the US if it suddenly became worse than Somalia? Hint: No it wouldn't.
I never said that, but in some ways they are similar BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE THE SAME AND ALL HAVE THE SAME NEEDS. People need to eat, people need to go to the bathroom, people need oxygen, people need water. So the similarities are there. I do not think if proof of aliens were revealed that Americans would act any differently than anyone else. I am positive that if there were aliens visiting us and Russia or NK had this information they would release it if they thought that it would bring down America through some panic that only Americans are susceptible to.

But that is not even the point. You never specified America, you framed it in percentages of people. To change that now is a lie. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think an announcement of intelligent alien life would cause a small but significant portion of the world population to do things that would be detrimental enough to affect the rest of our lives and society in general.
The day after 9-11 most Americans went to work, most Americans took care of their children. You have offered nothing to support your claims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
WTH? How have I insulted you? Because I don't bow down to your opinion and stop disagreeing with you? Show me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Im beginning to think you are trolling me.
See above. Do not call me a troll. Also do not edit my posts to try to make them out of context. Support your point and stop deflecting.


I will ask a third time:

If proof of aliens were released by the government would you be in the calm group or the crazy group?

Simple question really. Your answer will say a lot too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 14,712,336 times
Reputation: 10066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I never said that, but in some ways they are similar BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE THE SAME AND ALL HAVE THE SAME NEEDS. People need to eat, people need to go to the bathroom, people need oxygen, people need water. So the similarities are there. I do not think if proof of aliens were revealed that Americans would act any differently than anyone else. I am positive that if there were aliens visiting us and Russia or NK had this information they would release it if they thought that it would bring down America through some panic that only Americans are susceptible to.

But that is not even the point. You never specified America, you framed it in percentages of people. To change that now is a lie. See below:
America is in the world. And yes, the knowledge of Aliens would probably affect the people living in Somalia less then it would here. I didn't have to specify America. However, you neglected to talk about other civilized places on the planet and went straight to talking about 3rd world countries. So don't talk to me about being disingenuous lies.


Quote:
The day after 9-11 most Americans went to work, most Americans took care of their children. You have offered nothing to support your claims.
We sure did. Terrorism is something we knew about, and it wasn't the first time we had been hit and it dealt with a worldy enemy that we have experience with. I also said some people would just refuse to participate in their lives as they used to, not just try to blow something up or shoot people. Did you conveniently ignore that part? Yes you did.


Quote:
See above. Do not call me a troll. Also do not edit my posts to try to make them out of context. Support your point and stop deflecting.
Don't tell me what to do, and I didn't call you a troll. I said I thought you were trolling me, the action - not name calling. How about this, I believe you are patronizing me, and not being intellectually honest. You obviously play the game of taking things out of context and avoiding what I am saying so you can argue a strawman. Picking out singular events of worldy threats and comparing the US, Europe, and all civilized societies to the third world is disingenuous.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,168 posts, read 3,603,730 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
America is in the world. And yes, the knowledge of Aliens would probably affect the people living in Somalia less then it would here.
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I didn't have to specify America. However, you neglected to talk about other civilized places on the planet and went straight to talking about 3rd world countries. So don't talk to me about being disingenuous lies.
So you do not think that third world countries are civilized?

Typical of the Alien support network. I speak about a situation in the United States that you mentioned and I have experience with and it is not good enough. I bring up more dire examples and those are not good enough. But people who believe in Aliens will find truth in a grainy black and white picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
We sure did. Terrorism is something we knew about, and it wasn't the first time we had been hit and it dealt with a worldy enemy that we have experience with.
Moving target again. I am not sure why you think just the revelation of alien life would be that much more traumatic than anything else. People adapt. If aliens are not doing anything to us, as they are not doing now, why should anyone care if they existed and were still not doing anything to us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Don't tell me what to do, and I didn't call you a troll. I said I thought you were trolling me, the action - not name calling. You obviously play the game of taking things out of context and avoiding what I am saying so you can argue a strawman. Picking out singular events of worldy threats and comparing the US, Europe, and all civilized societies to the third world is disingenuous.
Did you not pick the DC Sniper? I have provided examples yet you have not......

You also keep dodging this simple questions:

If proof of aliens were released by the government would you be in the calm group or the crazy group?

Which is disingenuous.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 14,712,336 times
Reputation: 10066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Why?

So you do not think that third world countries are civilized?
There's no stock market to crash, no basic goods and services to disrupt. No power grid to go down. No internet or social media to even get the word out. Life in a third world country is already at the bottom.

Quote:
Typical of the Alien support network. I speak about a situation in the United States that you mentioned and I have experience with and it is not good enough. I bring up more dire examples and those are not good enough. But people who believe in Aliens will find truth in a grainy black and white picture.
Typical of someone who doesn't read or intent on forcing me into a strawman. I don't care about of have made no claims of the current level of proof of extraterrestrial life. I am only speaking hypothetically if the government released irrefutable proof.

Quote:
Moving target again.
No, there's only been one statement, ever.

Quote:
Did you not pick the DC Sniper? I have provided examples yet you have not......
I used the DC Sniper as an example of people behaving badly. I wonder if there were a 100 snipers in every major city shooting at what they thought were aliens in disguise or whatever motive an unbalanced individual or cult might cook up. I also wonder if there were a 100 school shootings a day. Or if one out of every 10 teachers, police, fire, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, etc etc refused to come to work and decided to go live in a convent because they felt like life as we knew it just didn't matter anymore.

Quote:
You also keep dodging this simple questions:
And you seem to think I owe you any answers to a stupid question. I don't care to know anything more about you based on your responses here. But keep asking, maybe you'll cook up your own answer and apply to me as you see fit. That's what you're going to do anyway.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 03:46 PM
 
59,211 posts, read 46,307,358 times
Reputation: 36733
I googled 20 mile tall structure on the moon....

I got links to for profit .com after .com pushing alien stuff left and right along with books I can buy.

Oh, and that doesn't even get to the linked articles about giant glass moon-domes and the whole hidden bases inside the hollow moon etc etc etc.

Hoaxes and flim-flammery has been with us since before Roman times and still enrich a segment that finds their niche market.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,336,787 times
Reputation: 7660
When in doubt:

IT'S A GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY/COVERUP...

I just love the people who are presented with grainy/fuzzy/over-pixelated images and claim:







Even in my acid taking days my imagination would never come up with the ludicrous statements to images like the above....

Last edited by plwhit; 04-13-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Maine
19,169 posts, read 22,856,153 times
Reputation: 23430
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~ How many readers in this forum have actually investigated the credentials and investigative training of the MUFON investigators?

~ How many readers in this forum with the I BELIEVE attitude have ever questioned the results of ANY MUFON investigation?
FYI: Since you can't see me, I'm just letting you know I'm raising my hand.

That said, I don't know that I call into the category of what you're calling the "I BELIEVE" attitude.

I have seen a UFO. By that I mean I saw something in the sky that I could not identify and behaved in a way that I cannot explain. That's it. I don't know if it was an alien, a top secret military aircraft, or the Silver Surfer. I don't know. It was UNIDENTIFIED.

Something is going on in our skies. There are hundreds of UFO reports every year. And they're not all by Billy Joe Jim Bob and Bubba on a back road well into their second case of beer. Many of them are by military personnel, airline pilots, doctors, engineers, and every day citizens. 95% or more of the sightings can be explained by known aircraft, natural phenomena, weather patterns, etc. It's the other 5% that will keep you up at night.

Aliens? Government conspiracy? On those issues, I am extremely skeptical. Open-minded, but skeptical. I think Zecharia Sitchin (or however you spell his name) was a first class nutter, and many of the UFologists are far too gullible and ready to believe anything and everything. But there are some really good critical studies out there, by people who set out to disprove all the hoo-ha and ended up realizing that something really is in our skies that we cannot explain.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,168 posts, read 3,603,730 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
There's no stock market to crash, no basic goods and services to disrupt. No power grid to go down. No internet or social media to even get the word out. Life in a third world country is already at the bottom.
So you think that to be civilized people have to have a stock market, power grid, social media? Well that is pretty limiting. I guess the Romans, Egyptians, Parisians in the 1700's were not civilized?

I could actually probably make the a fairly strong argument that the stock market and social media are some of the least civilized places.

Also there are third world countries with power grids, cell phone service and there are other stock markets besides the ones located in the US. I am not sure if Mexico and Brazil are third world countries but they both have stock markets as an example.

BTW, if irrefutable proof of Aliens were to be released I do not think that the big players in the stock market would let the market collapse. I am sure they would try to use it to their advantage though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Typical of someone who doesn't read or intent on forcing me into a strawman. I don't care about of have made no claims of the current level of proof of extraterrestrial life. I am only speaking hypothetically if the government released irrefutable proof.
Fair enough about the intent. But I do not think that things would happen the way you claim if proof were released and you have nothing but assumptions to base your premise on. As an example I would point out that your predicted reaction is the same for any form of contact. Your statements fail to take into account that the reaction to an alien invasion fleet identified at Uranus and heading toward earth would probably be different than a the reaction to a single alien seeking help after its entire civilization were destroyed by an exploding sun/star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No, there's only been one statement, ever.

I used the DC Sniper as an example of people behaving badly. I wonder if there were a 100 snipers in every major city shooting at what they thought were aliens in disguise or whatever motive an unbalanced individual or cult might cook up. I also wonder if there were a 100 school shootings a day. Or if one out of every 10 teachers, police, fire, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, etc etc refused to come to work and decided to go live in a convent because they felt like life as we knew it just didn't matter anymore.
Why would people go out and shoot people?



OH, OK, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
And you seem to think I owe you any answers to a stupid question. I don't care to know anything more about you based on your responses here. But keep asking, maybe you'll cook up your own answer and apply to me as you see fit. That's what you're going to do anyway.
I am asking because you made a direct statement that divided people into two groups. I simply asked which group you would fall into.

You will not answer because it absolutely destroys your theory. There are a few reasons that people state that if proof of aliens were revealed that it would create a worldwide panic. Nobody who says this will say they would panic. The whole idea is based out of conceit and a need to feel better than others. It is not based on facts and there is little to support it.

The whole premise reminds me of this:

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 12:49 PM
 
9,982 posts, read 7,366,573 times
Reputation: 5627
There is absolutely nothing of being-created interest on the moon, or on Mars.
Every single claim that there is has been thoroughly debunked, and those who
say there are are careerist frauds who make a living off the gullible.

If you are interested in a couple excellent websites concerning this, check out:
The Emoluments of Mars
AULIS Online
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top