Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:22 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,979,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjeena View Post
... It's as though they don't want to
have to stop long enough to really think about it because
it's unsettling. Which yeah, sometimes it can be, no
doubt.
You should win the prize -- I suspect you're exactly right. I lived in what I'll describe as a haunted house back around 1970, and a friend and I experienced some very disturbing things there to the point where he would suggest going somewhere for coffee rather than stay in the house listening to music. A few years later I brought up one of these incidents and he got very angry and said it was nothing. He didn't deny that it happened, he obviously didn't want to deal with it because it disturbed him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 02:24 PM

3,316 posts, read 3,068,247 times
In the realm of the metaphysical, I am an open-minded skeptic. People who give themselves airs by saying they are skeptics but who in fact are totally incurious, unimaginative, or closed-minded to anything that hasn't yet been scientifically proven really bug me.

I believe in many things that the closed-mind skeptic says flat out are impossible or do not exist. I believe in them not because I'm gullible or ignorant, but because I have experienced them for myself. So I try to keep an open mind about other people's beliefs and experiences, too.

Not everyone is going through life on the same wavelength, and what is closed off to some is an open path for others. Does the color blind person believe color doesn't exist, and all those who see colors are fools?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:14 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,714,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjeena View Post
I've wondered about this myself.

I've noticed on more than one occasion where a skeptic
will chime in, posting to nobody in particular, declaring
their skepticism, all the while completely ignoring specific
accounts in that same thread. Such posts seem to dodge
the specifics; it's more of a drive-by dismissal of any and
all that's paranormal. It's as though they don't want to
doubt.

-
Rayjeena, worse is when we cite evidence that universities have departments studying some of these topics and are finding X exists, yet none of the skeptics will concede that X isn't just in the minds of those wishing it so.

To me, mocking something like reincarnation, and ignoring posts stating universities are now studying this and have many documented cases where it certainly appears a person has been reincarnated, just shows the ignorance of some. Not saying those who don't believe in reincarnation are ignorant, but those who mock it without looking into the studies on it are simply unwilling to consider they may not know everything about a given topic. They make up their minds based on....nothing.

Vasily, I believe in God, therefore I believe anything is possible. Thinking man has it all figured out is, in my opinion, arrogant.

We cannot prove any of this exists any more than we can prove God exists, but I have very strong faith that many would mock.

All I know is, I've connected with my late wife through a medium and if you want to talk about skeptics, I had someone else pay for it so she wouldn't have my name (it was done by phone), I called her and blocked my number, I answered no questions, she didn't ask for my last name or birthdate or anything, and my mouth remained closed other than to say, "Okay" and "That makes sense". I was so leery of it being a scam that I didn't want to provide any identifying information to her. She asked if there was anyone I wanted to hear from and my reply was, "Anyone who wants to start talking...." And the things she told me - things nobody else on this living earth even knows - were eye opening.

In addition, I had recurring glimpses in my mind of what I thought was me remembering a movie I'd seen. In it, someone died a very specific way, but it kind of felt like me. And not related to that, I had this feeling that I knew more than I could remember about how life was supposed to go. It's been a gnawing feeling...like there is information I had, that I get close to tapping into, but I just can't completely get to it. Never told anyone about either of these because I fear it sounds crazy.

During that same reading she told me of a previous life I had and the setting and surroundings and my death, all matched up with what I thought was me remembering a movie. I was shocked because I hadn't thought of it in probably ten years, so it wasn't even on my mind at that point. That made me curious about reincarnation and I began reading up on it.

The rest of it, I don't know about. I've done quite a bit of reading on various subjects in the woo category, I'm just not sure if I believe the things I've read.

So sometimes you'll see me post that I've read something, but don't say much more about it. The jury is still out for me, although I do think all things are possible.

irootoo, I believe in reincarnation, therefore I believe some souls are more mature than others. Just chalk it up to immature souls....lol.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:08 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,986,837 times
I find great comfort in the fact that I don't know everything. Thank goodness. I've had experiences I can't explain. Were they paranormal? I don't know. I've had eerily accurate premonitions. Were they simply coincidence? I don't know. That's okay with me. I don't need confirmation nor do I need labels and I don't feel the need to judge anyone else's experiences. I'm just here enjoying the ride---like everyone else, I suppose.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:13 PM

79,039 posts, read 61,199,827 times
I'm probably the odd duck in this thread.

Personally, I believe that there are lots of things out there that we can only occasionally perceive....just like 200 years ago they barely knew about things like bacteria.

On the other hand, just like any baptist revival....the paranormal is rife with "true believers" and hucksters.

So, for the most part.... I think a lot of the paranormal stuff out there is profit or "religion" driven but that it has some potentially validity.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:00 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,854,037 times
[quote=Rayjeena;44866992]I've wondered about this myself.

I've noticed on more than one occasion where a skeptic
will chime in, posting to nobody in particular, declaring
their skepticism, all the while completely ignoring specific
accounts in that same thread. Such posts seem to dodge
the specifics; it's more of a drive-by dismissal of any and
all that's paranormal. It's as though they don't want to
doubt.

Or you
Or you could be living with a stubborn skeptic that refuses to believe that strange things happen that are next to impossible to explain.

When something happens that goes entirely against your belief system then it's far easier to dig your heals in and deny it then it is to change your belief system.

Maybe the denial is out of fear? Maybe the denial comes from a closed mind or a deeply ingrained religious belief?

Either way, change is hard.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 PM

22,989 posts, read 28,455,171 times
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts." (Daniel Patrick Moynihan)

If someone says, "I believe in ghosts," then "Why?" is a perfectly reasonable response. It isn't mean or judgmental. It's inquiry.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:18 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,969,172 times
Quote:
Is there anyone who believes in all of the above? I think those people are a rarity, if they exist at all.
Yes, I believe in all these because I believe the universe is totally made of energy and all these things are different expressions of energy. Just like allopathic medicine pill represents an energy signature and yet there are other forms of healing which work for some of us as well if not better. They too represent a balancing of the energy in our bodies. Due to the studies I have done at various times, I believe this is the way the world works and nothing so far has indicated to me that it doesn't. It explains a lot of what is reported by folks all across the world so it is my 'world view' that the mind is a receiver of energies and the brain is an interpreter of those energies into ways we can understand - like visual pictures, auditory sounds, kinesthetic touches and emotional feelings, etc.

When you look at images from the space agencies, you recognise patterns in the images over and over again. I dont mean round shaped rocks and angular cliffs, but I do mean more unusually strange patterns in the images. Just like military personnel can recognise tanks and missile bases from satellite images, so to can other people recognise these same shapes in many many different images of many different worlds. On "uninhabited dry/wattery desolate worlds" these recognisable patterns should just not exist and if they do, then science should be investigating to understand more.

As far as cryptids go, there are people who run successful DNA analysis businesses(or labs) who have done DNA analysis on these various beasts and they seem to agree that there is some element of human DNA there but also some other unknow not-yet-documented also. Now, every DNA scientist should want to jump in there and find out the details but many disciplines MAY have much to lose if things go in the wrong direction. For example, it it turns out we have alien DNA in the cryptids, then I would imagine there are some awkward religious questions need answering as well as some questions to our governments too.

When does the weight of reported circumstancial evidence become so strong that there should be a general concensus that 'something is happening and needs to be investigated' ? People from all over the world report similar sightings of different things - aliens, cryptids, mothman, UFOs, etc There MUST surely be a time when these sightings are enough to be taken seriously, but for some reason, they are not investigated by the proper authorities. Why? Of course there will be conspiracy theories in these circumstances.

As far as mediums are concerned, I think it is totally possible for some people to read our energy fields (where I believe are stored all lifes experiences). In my experience, if it happened to you, then the recording of it is in your fields and if it is there, then it is 'readable' by some mediums. I am not saying that ALL mediums do this, because I do believe some can contact other realms, but some may read energy fields. Of course, that is impressive too, but if we go to see this kind of medium expecting it to be messages from loved ones, then it is not and we should be made aware it is not.

Sorry, you go me going on this subject.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:26 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,969,172 times
Quote:
If someone says, "I believe in ghosts," then "Why?" is a perfectly reasonable response. It isn't mean or judgmental. It's inquiry.
What I would ask is "What does it matter to you if I believe in ghosties?" The circumstances in my life have led to me to believe ghosts exist. You life is different and obviously has not provided you with enough evidence for you to change your opinion to the same thing.

By asking 'Why" seems to be a question which is designed to bait and which cannot be answered to YOUR satisfaction. If it is answered, then some kind of explanation is 'offered' which is supposed to 'fix' our erroneous belief once and for all.

There are a number (maybe 3 or 4) similar people who ask meaningless questions. These can never be answered satisfactorily and it is akin to asking a religious believer "Why do you believe in God, or Jesus Christ ? " etc

Last edited by ocpaul20; 07-24-2016 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: similar people

Old 07-25-2016, 06:25 AM

22,989 posts, read 28,455,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What I would ask is "What does it matter to you if I believe in ghosties?"
Speaking only for myself, I would answer:

Because I am interested in the subject and would love to see some credible evidence to put in my thinking cap. But I know there have been and continue to be lots of charlatans over the years, so I am not going to believe everything anyone says without some evidence to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal