Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:18 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,694,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Speaking only for myself, I would answer:

Because I am interested in the subject and would love to see some credible evidence to put in my thinking cap. But I know there have been and continue to be lots of charlatans over the years, so I am not going to believe everything anyone says without some evidence to back it up.
Now what could one possibly say to sway you, that would fall under the category of *credible evidence* in your mind?

I suspect if you weren't satisfied with their response it would become a debate to try and dismantle the other persons belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 09:52 AM

855 posts, read 627,703 times
Quote:
Speaking only for myself, I would answer:

Because I am interested in the subject and would love to see some credible evidence to put in my thinking cap. But I know there have been and continue to be lots of charlatans over the years, so I am not going to believe everything anyone says without some evidence to back it up.
I think that's a healthy approach to it, myself.

It's when the inquiring becomes heckling or mocking in its
tone, as it does on occasion (see example linked below), that
can be problematic.

Example: Reincarnation: two compelling accounts

-

Old 07-25-2016, 03:30 PM

22,965 posts, read 28,406,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Now what could one possibly say to sway you, that would fall under the category of *credible evidence* in your mind?
It would depend entirely upon the situation.

If you're talking about a scientific study, then I want the study to adhere to the scientific method and all evidence examined by various sides.

If you're simply talking about someone telling me their ghost story, then I want to hear it. Will I believe them or disbelieve them? The depends entirely upon the person, but most likely I will remain agnostic on this score. I'll put it on my "Wait and See" shelf until further evidence comes to light.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 PM

7,021 posts, read 6,941,854 times
Quote:
Yes, thats what a lot of people say, but... how can MY evidence convince you? You obviously do not want to believe without evidence and only some experiments done by science is going to be 'credible' enough. Your time would be much more profitably spent asking questions from those who investigate and test and do experiments - since this is all that will convince you.

1) You are interested in the subject but are unable to move to 'belief' until credible evidence appears.
2) You need credible evidence which can only come from scientists doing experiments and doing write-ups.
3) No amount of experiences gained by others is going to convince you.
4) We are not scientists doing experiments so you are wasting your time hoping to convince yourself.
5) Whether WE beleive in ghosts or not YOU will still maintain your position.

See why I think the kind of questions you ask us here is pointless?

Quote:
There will never be a situation on this forum which will give you credible evidence. (see 4 above)

Quote:
If you're talking about a scientific study, then I want the study to adhere to the scientific method and all evidence examined by various sides.
See 3 above

Quote:
If you're simply talking about someone telling me their ghost story, then I want to hear it. Will I believe them or disbelieve them? The depends entirely upon the person, but most likely I will remain agnostic on this score. I'll put it on my "Wait and See" shelf until further evidence comes to light.
Maybe if you knew them personally, but will never happen on a public forum however much you are online buddies. You are kidding yourself or need to look elsewhere for your evidence - IF you really want to find it. Maybe the search is more interesting to you than the result ?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:

This is what you initially posted:
Quote:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts." (Daniel Patrick Moynihan)

If someone says, "I believe in ghosts," then "Why?" is a perfectly reasonable response. It isn't mean or judgmental. It's inquiry.
So if someone expresses their opinion about something, such as "I believe in ghosts", and you ask "Why?" you either want a scientific study adhering to some scientific method (I'm assuming by this you mean "peer reviewed" or something), with all evidence examined by various parties. Or, if they simply tell you a story, you'll more than likely file it away until further evidence is revealed.

Have you found that with certain subjects, people are a little reluctant to share their opinions with you? I'm asking in earnest, not trying to be a smart *****. I can see all of this if someone was making declarative statements that you were questioning, but all of this for an opinion?

If you're really interested in the subject, and have heard a story, why not just do your own research? That's what I've done. Or ask the person, "What else can you tell me about this subject? I'd like to learn more."

Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Y]
1) You are interested in the subject but are unable to move to 'belief' until credible evidence appears.
I'm assuming he doesn't believe in God, in the absence of credible evidence.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:03 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,969,855 times
Personal belief in something and making claims about the objective reality of the same are two entirely different things. If you want to believe in the flying spaghetti monster, fine; but if you want to convince us that you met him at your local Italian restaurant, that's going to require credible evidence since it conflicts with the metaphysics of others in the group.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle believed in the ridiculous Cottingsley Fairy photos. Are we supposed to accept them as real because there's a lack of credible evidence that they're not a schoolgirl prank? How about the idiots who put ape suits and pig guts on ice and claims it's Bigfoot?

If you're going to ask the rest of us to accept whatever you post without questioning you're going to need to establish criteria to distinguish between fakes, misinterpretations of data and the real thing. Or prove to us why criteria aren't needed and we should ooh and aah and not pay any attention to the man behind the curtain.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Personal belief in something and making claims about the objective reality of the same are two entirely different things. If you want to believe in the flying spaghetti monster, fine; but if you want to convince us that you met him at your local Italian restaurant, that's going to require credible evidence since it conflicts with the metaphysics of others in the group.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle believed in the ridiculous Cottingsley Fairy photos. Are we supposed to accept them as real because there's a lack of credible evidence that they're not a schoolgirl prank? How about the idiots who put ape suits and pig guts on ice and claims it's Bigfoot?

If you're going to ask the rest of us to accept whatever you post without questioning you're going to need to establish criteria to distinguish between fakes, misinterpretations of data and the real thing. Or prove to us why criteria aren't needed and we should ooh and aah and not pay any attention to the man behind the curtain.

Personal belief in God is different than, for example, personal belief that I've had an experience that connected me with my late wife?

Sorry, I'm not of that opinion. Both are personal beliefs and whether people want to buy into them or not isn't my concern or burden. I don't have to provide anyone with anything.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,969,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Personal belief in God is different than, for example, personal belief that I've had an experience that connected me with my late wife?
No, they're both personal beliefs.

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not of that opinion. Both are personal beliefs and whether people want to buy into them or not isn't my concern or burden. I don't have to provide anyone with anything.
People in this forum make objective truth claims all the time about photos and experiences -- I heard knocking in the woods and it must be bigfoot, here's a photo of a blurred something and it must be a ghost, I saw a strange light in the sky and it must be aliens visiting the earth. One hopes you can see these things -- personal beliefs in God or connection with your late wife and truth claims about data -- are qualitatively different.

I don't question personal experiences -- and I've presented many of my own in this forum -- I do question data that's presented to support a paranormal explanation for something.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:57 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,698,367 times
I'm an inbetweener. I stand in the anything is possible camp, would rather have something 'disproved' and I put a lot of things into the 'wait and see' file.
Reincarnation, past lives, I believe there is something to them, based on personal experience. However, regarding the mechanics, I have multiple theories.
When approaching something odd, I go down the list of all rational and physical possibilities. Maybe there is a stalemate due to how a situation unfolds that does not allow for me to decide one way or another. Other times things are so odd that the paranormal side of the scale is a little more heavy than the rational explanation side.
And while I am quite open towards paranormal explanations.
More often than not, it is the logical rational explanation that is my conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal