Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:13 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Judaism states yes there is reincarnation.
It appears I stand corrected; see following article. Apparently many to most Jews do indeed believe in reincarnation.

6 Things Jews Believe about Reincarnation - Your Soul is Made Up of Five Different Parts - Beliefnet

The Roman Catholics as I understand it developed the concept of purgatory to address the "working things out" after death; conservative Protestants tend to say you're either saved or not saved so your eternal fate is fixed at the moment of death. Some Eastern Orthodox believe there are a series of 40 celestial "tollhouses" you pass through after death where demons call you to task for your sins; this is the origin I believe of the 40 day prayer period for the dead. Many Orthodox believe the doctrine of the celestial tollhouses is heretical. Most Eastern Orthodox believe the "working things out" continues to happen in the next life and is an infinite process as we grow in perfection (I speak of my understanding of Orthodox beliefs, not for the Church).

So Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox would agree that there's a problem that reincarnation addresses, but would offer different solutions to that problem. Conservative Protestants as I understand their doctrine would say "you're damned or you ain't" - they don't allow for any perfection after death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 02:46 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I grew up Catholic, went to 12 years of Catholic school. As I see it, purgatory is where you go for misdemeanors, hell is for felonies.

I've always pictured purgatory as really, really boring. It's a white gondola suspended in the clouds; everybody is dressed in white, and you just wait and wait and wait.

A few years ago, we had a car accident and wound up waiting at the police station for hours.
It had white tile and white walls. we waited and waited and waited. I really did wonder if I'd died in the accident.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:12 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I grew up Catholic, went to 12 years of Catholic school. As I see it, purgatory is where you go for misdemeanors, hell is for felonies.

I've always pictured purgatory as really, really boring. It's a white gondola suspended in the clouds; everybody is dressed in white, and you just wait and wait and wait.

A few years ago, we had a car accident and wound up waiting at the police station for hours.
It had white tile and white walls. we waited and waited and waited. I really did wonder if I'd died in the accident.
Question for you;

If you could have contact with a spirit, or spirits, and they told you there is no purgatory, and Sunday when you go to mass the priest states emphatically,there is, which one would you believe?

Bob.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Question for you;

If you could have contact with a spirit, or spirits, and they told you there is no purgatory, and Sunday when you go to mass the priest states emphatically,there is, which one would you believe?

Bob.

I no longer believe in purgatory or spirits, so the question is not relevant.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
I don't want to be reincarnated, but I don't believe in it anyway. It just doesn't make sense. How can you build on what you learned in your previous life if you can't even remember it? It would be like having to take a test you studied for, but you have amnesia and can't remember anything you learned and you are just guessing at the answers. And belief in reincarnation also causes much misery. In India, for example, the caste system is based on people getting what they deserve, and being poor and miserable is karma and to be accepted and suffered in hopes of a better life next time around. No thanks.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Question for you;

Bob.
I'm Catholic and I'd believe those who have gone on to the other side.

(thus my belief in reincarnation)

Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I don't want to be reincarnated, but I don't believe in it anyway. It just doesn't make sense. How can you build on what you learned in your previous life if you can't even remember it? It would be like having to take a test you studied for, but you have amnesia and can't remember anything you learned and you are just guessing at the answers. And belief in reincarnation also causes much misery. In India, for example, the caste system is based on people getting what they deserve, and being poor and miserable is karma and to be accepted and suffered in hopes of a better life next time around. No thanks.
My response won't change your mind, but I'll answer your question for the sake of those who are reading and may have the same question.

We don't have to remember. We set up our lives before we get here when we have all of that information at hand. Say you lived a life of wealth with little compassion for those less fortunate. You may choose to come back as a person living in poverty or someone who has to really struggle in life or some other set of circumstances that would allow you to evolve and feel compassion and empathy for the poor.

It's not remembering that will create growth, it will be experiencing it yourself, or seeing someone you care about experience it, that will cause a shift in your thinking and hopefully lead to growth.

Some of this is predetermined - the rest is up to us (aka free will).

Old 10-17-2017, 08:07 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
^^ It just sounds sadistic. Putting people in horrible situations to learn stuff when they have no recollection "why" they need to learn it. And what about little kids who are born only to be murdered by some sicko, or come down with cancer, or whatever? What are they learning?

Last edited by CatTX; 10-17-2017 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
I will take the eternal bliss of nothingness
this world gets crappier and crappier...I don't want to join the rat race again

Old 10-17-2017, 04:20 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
^^ It just sounds sadistic. Putting people in horrible situations to learn stuff when they have no recollection "why" they need to learn it. And what about little kids who are born only to be murdered by some sicko, or come down with cancer, or whatever? What are they learning?
Wow, you sure have a lot to learn.

First off, "people" is your problem.

Any and all actions, and thoughts by humans is controlled by the soul with in each of us.

If a "person" is experiencing problems, be it health, poverty, or whatever, it is determined by the spirit.

You need to know, and understand, humans are nothing but a tool to be used by spirits for THEIR betterment, not the other way around.

We are not now, nor have we ever been, superior to the spirits.
It is because of them we live at all.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal