Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 10:58 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

...Lisa Ling, on "This is Life".

Just in time for Halloween, Lisa Ling visits Lily Dale, a Victorian community of Spiritualist mediums in quaint and sleepy Cassadega Lake, NY.

Preview clips show Ms.Ling and her sister attempting to talk to Grandma.

I like Lisa Ling, and she seems to always approach topics with an open mind. I think this should be good.

For those of you who have never been there, this will give you an idea of what a reading at Lily Dale is about.
Many of you know that I visit there every year, so this will be special to me.

I thought this would interest some of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 11:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Will be watching.

Lisa Ling's one my fav journalists.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Will be watching.

Lisa Ling's one my fav journalists.
Mine also!

Old 10-28-2018, 06:00 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,130 times
What channel? When?

Also the Victory of Light psychic fair is the weekend of November17 in Cincinnati if anyone is interested.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 10-28-2018 at 06:16 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
What channel? When?

Also the Victory of Light psychic fair is the weekend of November17 in Cincinnati if anyone is interested.
I'm so sorry. I didn't see your post until now. It was on at 10PM EST on CNN.

I also live in OH,but the NE part. Is this fair worth the trip? It's about 3.5 hours away from me.

The Lisa Ling Lily Dale show will probably be on CNN on demand. They could also, at sometime sell a DVD.
I really wish that I'd seen this earlier.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm so sorry. I didn't see your post until now. It was on at 10PM EST on CNN.

I also live in OH,but the NE part. Is this fair worth the trip? It's about 3.5 hours away from me.

The Lisa Ling Lily Dale show will probably be on CNN on demand. They could also, at sometime sell a DVD.
I really wish that I'd seen this earlier.
Don't know if it is worth the trip. This will be my first time going. It is held in April and November. Their schedule should be on their website now.

Your show replays at 1am. I am going to stay up and watch it.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 PM

Did anyone else watch the Lisa Ling "This is Life" episode on CNN tonight? I just finished watching it, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Most of you know this, but some may not. From the time I was a teenager, I had read about the Lily Dale Assembly, and yerned to visit. Strangely, I visited for the first time only four years ago. I went back that summer, in the fall. Since my first visit, we have visited at least once per season. More frequently, twice. We also enjoy Lily Dale off season.

As a Lily Dale regular, I can say that Lisa Ling's reportage, was for the most part; spot on. She handled the topic with an open mind and with sensitivity. Her depiction of Lily Dale was quite accurate. Her reading, was not the best I have had, but it was not at all "bad". She was happier after the reading, as was her sister.

In so many ways, this program captured the essence of Lily Dale. The energy that everyone who I know who has visited experiences. Lisa Ling noticed that early on. The veil at Lily Dale is always thin.And the vibes are powerful.

They depicted Frrest Temple readings, and readings at Inspiration Stump and healings at the Temple, with an alacrity that I have not encountered in any other Lily Dale film or telivision depiction.(there are a few)

One of the people who was chronicaled was a middle aged man who had lost his son in a tragic motor vehical accident. The man felt guilt over their relationship, and how it may have impacted his son's short life.
The visitor needed contact with his son, and fortunatly received that through Registered Medium, Willa White. I have never seen Ms. White, but I do plan to see her in the future.

I was happy that this person received a very accurate reading that offered him some modicam of solace.

Another medium who I thought was very good, was Sharon Hill. I thought that she was very experienced, accurate and "down to earth" - in a good way. She is on my "list" also.

The photography of this documentary was exquisite, and some how captured both the natural and supernatural aspects of this very special place. I think it was better than the HBO special (which is available for purchace on the LD bookstore website, and in the bookstore at Lily Dale. (No One Dies at Lily Dale")

It was also very well done, but I thought this one was better.

There is one thing that both of these documentaries get wrong. I am trying to figure out if it was intentionally stressed - or if they only spoke to certain people, or if the "sympathy factor" was overstated by speaking to only one type of guest.

To be clear, *MOST* or *MANY* Lily Dale visitors are NOT only there because they experienced tragedy or an unresolved loss of a loved one. I mean, by age 40, most people have excperienced one or two people who have "crossed over". (a grandparent, for example) Most are not terribly upset by this passing because it is expected and normal. After all, death is part of life. I did enjoy hearing from my grandmothers - and my grandfather, who I never met in life.

It has really NOT been my experience that the reason for most of the 20,000 visitors each summer, was precipitated by the loss of a loved one, or questions surrounding their death. Most visitors are not grieving - they are seekers.

We first visited out of curiosity. The friends who accompanied us, were also not seeking to speak to a specific dead person. I know that some visit after the tragic loss of a child, or the untimely death of a significant other. I have not met one, but from these two docs, one might come away with the idea that *MOST* Lily Dale visitors come for that reason. They do not.

Other reasons why people visit Lily Dale include -

1. A peaceful, bucolic, lakeside vacation where you can kyack, canoe, or swim in Lake Cassadega, The camp is beyond beautiful.

2. For workshops and classes. There are so many esoteric and interesting classes at Lily Dale! I took two this summer and both were transformative and enlightening. I intend to take more.

3. Amenities and activities that are not Spiritualist in focus - This past summer I had two deep tissue massages, we participated in a Native American Sweat Lodge ceramony, a class in jornaling, essential oil therapy, a book store, gift shops, a museum - and much more.

4. Hiking, Kayacking and canoeing. Depending upon where one stayes, there are available.

5. History! There is just so much history at Lily Dale! Suffregest organized and spoke there - when no other place in NYS would permit them to speak. Lily Dale hosted people as diverse as May West, Sir Arthur Conan Doyal, Harry Houdini - who arrived a skeptic and left - NOT ONE.

6. Healing. The healing services at the Healing Temple are really superior to healings that I have had - ANYWHERE. The healers are not concieted or egotistical. They are there to serve.

The best part of this documentary, for me, was when Lisa Ling registered at the Maplewood Hotel. The first time we stayed there, I asked about which rooms were "most haunted" A LITTLE HAUNTED was fine. But I was not in persuit of a "The Shining" experience.

(Actually, the Maplewood resembles a miniature Overlook Hotel) I had no reservations, so when we checked in, I asked if there were areas that were more haunted than others. I wanted someplace in the middle.

The clerk pulled out a floor plan of the hotel that was marked with Sharpies of different colors that represented the degree of haunting. I was like O-M-G! There is a part where horses are heard and another part where children can be seen.

We had a little activity - bouncing or punching on the walls (it was not our neighbor) and a loud sound, similar to a gun shot. My husband heard whispering after I fell asleep. I missed that.

Also so familiar, was awaiting a friend after a reading and hoping that they were "wowed".

Sometimes spirits come who were not "on your Guest List" so to speak. You kind of need to "go with the flow" at LD.

Last edited by sheena12; 10-28-2018 at 11:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
Don't know if it is worth the trip. This will be my first time going. It is held in April and November. Their schedule should be on their website now.

Your show replays at 1am. I am going to stay up and watch it.
I did not know that! Thanks for posting! I will watch again.

Really, worth the trip, and "getting your money's worth, are probably standards that will almost guarentee disapointment - although I totally understand why you would question this.
As interested as I was in my first visit, I had certain expectations that were "not met", to my mind.

HOWEVER - I left after hearing from unexpected people from spirit who's appearance was made more clear, much later. I mey quirky and interesting people, who are now friends.
My healing was wffective and a really ethereal experience.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:49 PM

I recalled your posts on Lily Dale from the past and always thought I would like to visit there.

Our fair is held at a convention center and is workshops and vendors and such which encompasses a variety of paranormal subjects.

"Worth the trip" was in reference to your comment regarding the 3.5 hour drive to Cincinnati. I live 30 minutes away from the host site, so extensive travel is not my concern.

I will be going on Saturday.

I also am planning to get a reading from a local psychic medium at some point in the future. I hope I can make some connections there for that.

Thank you for elaborating on the whole of the Lily Dale experience. I enjoyed the program and now am eager to go there sometime just to enjoy the natural beauty and any and all of the experiences that it offers. I think I will pass on the haunted hotel, however!

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 10-29-2018 at 12:07 AM..

Old 11-02-2018, 02:48 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Wow, Sheena, I am sorry I missed that episode, but I bet it will repeat or I can find it On Demand. I watched a few episodes of her show. Was not familiar with Lisa Ling before, but I'm not much of a TV person.

Also never heard of Lily Dale. This is interesting.

A couple of weeks ago, for the first time in my life, a psychic told me before she started my card reading that there was someone near me from "the other side" and what she said shocked me. I had an electric buzz going up my spine and into the back of my head.

It was quite an experience, and I'm still mulling it over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal