Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:39 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,877,619 times

Advertisements

This article 7 & 8th Feb 2019 from the Sun UK newspaper and others.

I realise The Sun UK is not a very reliable source, but there are other links in the article too.
Has anyone heard and experienced it over the last week or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 08:16 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Frost quakes: https://www.wsls.com/weather/frost-q...of-the-midwest.

Some even cause flashes of light: https://www.csmonitor.com/Environmen...frigid-Midwest.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:10 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,877,619 times
yes, of course you are right. It is probably caused by frost quake.

The problem I have with this explanation is that there are so many areas of the Earth which are subject to the same environmental conditions of rapidly freezing/changing temperatures with waterlogged or sandy ground.

If it was this which caused the noises, then we should be getting this phenomen all the time in areas which are cold enough and which have the same cold quick freezing conditions. However, perhaps there are so few people living in these other areas that no-one experiences and reports them happening all the time.

Basically, the wikipedia article allows just about any cold location to experience this phenomena due to the many differing conditions which science has proclaimed causes these effects.

I am not claiming it is alien bases, underground tunelling, fracking, or the military causing these noises, but it certainly is not sudden glacial movement so we have to assume it is the first paragraph below which applies in these cases. The article then goes on to describe all of the different requirements which might cause this frost quake to occur - just about anything you can imagine as long as it is cold.

Wikipedia page
Quote:
A cryoseism, also known as an ice quake or a frost quake,[1][2][3][4] is a seismic event that may be caused by a sudden cracking action in frozen soil or rock saturated with water or ice.[5] As water drains into the ground, it may eventually freeze and expand under colder temperatures, putting stress on its surroundings. This stress builds up until relieved explosively in the form of a cryoseism.[1][6]

Another type of cryoseism is a non-tectonic seismic event caused by sudden glacial movements. This movement has been attributed to a veneer of water which may pool underneath a glacier sourced from surface ice melt. Hydraulic pressure of the liquid can act as a lubricant, allowing the glacier to suddenly shift position.[7][8] This type of cryoseism can be very brief, or may last for several minutes.[9]

The requirements for a cryoseism to occur are numerous;[1][2] therefore, accurate predictions are not entirely possible and may constitute a factor in structural design and engineering when constructing in an area historically known for such events.[5] Speculation has been made between global warming and the frequency of cryoseisms.[2][9]
The thing is...These booming noises have been heard when there is no Big Freeze in effect, so what causes them then - at other times? Perhaps it is merely Jupiter, a weather balloon, or a swamp gas explosion?

Old 02-09-2019, 01:33 AM

Many years ago I spent some time driving vehicles on frozen lakes. Every once and a while I would experience one of these loud booms. I did not experience one with an accompanying light show. However, this winter the temperatures took a sudden drastic plummet and the wet ground froze hard. It needed someplace to go when it expanded. 'Earthquake light' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_light) has been documented and it stands to reason, that with the large frost quakes, a light show followed.

There are sound, logical and real, reasons to explain the booms and light shows. There is no reason to look any further than what has already been documented and recorded.

PS As far as happening when there are no hard frost; expansion and contraction can happen with heat waves and other critical times of the year. Such as: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...phenomena.html.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
To those that really believe there is something to all these 'mystery booms'...dont you think if there was some HUGE impending event, disaster, etc...the booms would not be so mysterious, and that probably everyone would have heard them? There would be absolutely no doubt they were indeed something 'mysterious'.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Maybe it is related to the recent pole shift? Its happend across a wide area covering different climates.

More far fetched conspiracy theories have pointed at Government testing, Ozzy Osborne's bong exploding or the inhabitants of hollow Earth stirring up. The latter is especially cool to think about but I doubt its true.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:34 PM

The OP's article was dated the 7th of February. The Country just had a recent cold snap in most of the areas that reported the explosions and light shows. In the last days of January Chicago was reporting the coldest temperatures ever. Many of us on the Eastern seaboard experienced some of the cold temperature (our experience was no where as cold as Chicago's) - but still cold. It is just logical to question mother nature first in this investigation.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
I started hearing "mystery booms" and seeing lights of unknown origin last fall. You won't believe what's causing it, but I'm going to tell you anyways.

It turned out there's a new tract housing development going in a few blocks away that I wasn't aware of at the time (I don't get out that way too often since it's not along the way of anywhere I need to go). So yes, it is caused by aliens, albeit indirectly -- all the immigrant Califoregonianoids who are going to snap up those shoddy little cardboard dwellings and invade my roads.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! I have documented evidence!

(Go ahead and crucify me now, you probably would regardless.)

Last edited by Ttark; 02-09-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I started hearing "mystery booms" and seeing lights of unknown origin last fall.
Do you remember if it was cold outside when you heard the booms?

Transformers blowing and the light show that accompanies that critical failure can be heard and seen for miles. Just one more possibility.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Yeah, though excavation and grading for neighborhood roads is another distinct, and obvious, possibility, as is semis bringing in lumber and plywood by the trailer load. Just a wild random implausible theory, anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal