Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times

Advertisements

It's a fascinating phenomenon. See in particular the picture of CGI Tin Tin holding up a cartoon of himself:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/danmeth/wel...uncanny-valley

The CGI figure is more disturbing than the cartoon -- it's called the uncanny valley because as the likeness becomes even more realistic, it also becomes less disturbing. There's a place in the middle where we experience the creepiness. The Wikipedia article lists some possible psychological causes for the phenomenon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 12:23 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I make dolls from fabric and clay and whatever. I can't leave them overnight with pins in them because that would be cruel.

I don't believe they're alive, but...

Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 AM

859 posts, read 705,603 times
Dolls and statues are beautiful in my view, especially as a decoration. At the same time, I don't think it's difficult to know some reasons behind being scared or even have a phobia from dolls. Although, I don't really think it's a phenomena anyway.

According to my observation, I think one of the main reasons are "Horror Movies".
-Does your husband watch a lot of horror movies?
or
-Did he watch horror movies when he was a child?

If so, that's most likely could be the reason or one of his reasons behind fear of dolls.

Horror movies ideas that always relate dolls with "haunting" make some people scared of having dolls. There are a lot of horror movies (English & non English) from this repeated type, where you find a family, for instance, have been moved to a new house, then found a creepy doll at the yard; one of the family members picked it up, then sequences of weird events started to happening since then.

Or

In the very beginning of a movie, they set too many dolls at the shelfs then, tears of blood started to drop from their eyes; with creepy music & sound effects, it's really creepy!
When I read people's opinions in the comment section, I found comments like " since the time they watched that certain movie, they got rid of all their dolls or they gathered all their dolls and put them in the closet and locked it. Based on this, I think this type of fear is understandable.

Another reason is related to the doll itself. Some dolls are designed to be creepy which make people uncomfortable to see/have it.

That's in general, about the particular case you stated. I noticed that you have a doll from 1957
wow!! it's historical!
So, I do wonder, is this doll in a good condition? If not, then you can understand why he wouldn't feel comfortable about it.

Another thing, when I googled the name of the doll, it showed me info about an actress. I wonder why would they name the doll after an actress? I'm curious to know if there is a story behind it or not.

In conclusion, I would say dolls are dolls, statues are statues. They are inanimate. Nothing special about it; they couldn't be able to, move, speak, harm, benefit or do anything whatever to you. About the story that one of the poster mentioned about changing the direction of the statue or doll. If this really happened, you need to know that this is NOT the statue or doll that moved itself from point A to B. There is something else belongs to the paranormal phenomena, (unexplained thing by science) who made this. So, no need to worry.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I never played with dolls as a little girl after about age 5. I can only remember having one doll, other than a Barbie or a Troll doll, and even those I probably only owned one of each. It's not that I was afraid, just uninterested.

This is what really creeps me out...these hyper-realistic dolls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKmz002fbQY

They sort of give me the willies!

Old 04-27-2019, 11:16 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Its funny, I'm a big, red-blooded dude and I actually have always liked dolls. Not like I collected them or anything but I always thought that they seemed precious and peaceful... I always wondered if they really had souls or could see you and always thought they should be treated gently, like a real baby.

When I was in grade school some kids found a doll and were in the process of violently destroying it for some yuks and I got really, irrationally angry... I stopped them and took it away (which of course made them think I was nuts, but none of them dared make fun of me to my face about it), and then took it home and sheepishly asked my mom if she could help me "fix it." We stitched up the cloth body, washed the scratches and scuffs off the plastic parts, and them my mom found it some old clothes from her doll collection from when she was a little girl. She still has it.

I think that dolls are an interesting reflection of human psychology; they are a blank, inanimate reflection of humanity, generally depicted at a state where they are the most vulnerable and dependent. To a child with a pure heart, they are a literal reflection of themselves, and a slate on which they project their observations of how life works... A child who has been treated with love will usually feed the doll, talk to it, play with it, while one whose been abused, yelled at, etc will often do the same.

The "evil doll" as a trope uses this harmless innocence as a backdrop to paint a sinister picture of betrayal and predation that causes us to question the very core of what we think is "good." I think it also causes us to question ourselves... If even a doll can be evil, what about us?

Old 04-27-2019, 02:48 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Well that is thought provoking 415. I was a tomboy and would rather climb trees, play with toy cars, or do puzzles as a kid. I did have a large collection of plush stuffed animals though.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:33 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Strange how not many people say they are afraid or have phobias around teddy bears which are similar things in our young lives.

I used to imagine big real bears at the foot of my bed when I was little apparently. No problem with them now though.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I make dolls from fabric and clay and whatever. I can't leave them overnight with pins in them because that would be cruel.

I don't believe they're alive, but...
I love dolls. As an adult, I do not have any, nor do I collect them. I took very good care of my dolls as a child, changing them into pajamas at night, dressing them in the day. "feeding" them, reading to them.

Like yourself. I could never leave a doll with pins in it. I couldn't throw them oin a toybox with other dolls. When I see a doll in the trash, it upsets me.

I am not spooked by normal looking dolls. I had a porcelain head doll with real human hair, and teeth. I think it was made in Germany in the teens or twenties. She had Victorian looking clothes. My great Aunt Katheryne gave her to me. She had no children, but lots of dolls.

The doll disappeared when my mother died and my father remarried
his secretary who pretty much destroyed my family. The Stepmother was very afraid of the doll. I think she either sold her or through her away. That's how cruel she is.

Sometimes I think I saw the doll move at night, but it could have been my imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal