U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-01-2019, 03:12 PM
 
2,019 posts, read 980,694 times
Reputation: 5452

Advertisements

Left Hand Path, indeed.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Status: "The dwarfs are for the dwarfs!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
5,068 posts, read 2,335,366 times
Reputation: 16928
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I had an episode of sleep paralysis complete with hallucination and strongly believed that ghosts and demons were real. I studied the topic quite a bit, and came to understand that there is no science to account for the existence of such things. When I was 12-13, I discovered sleep paralysis on a discovery channel special, felt a great relief, and really learned about how your senses can deceive you.
Sleep paralysis is quite a different ordeal than what I went through. I did wonder if what happened to me was related to the sleepwalking but in no way, shape, or form, did it resemble sleep paralysis.

I could move, I just didn't want to after realizing how high I was & there were no visual hallucinations of spiders or beings; just the same trees & moon that could be seen from the ground.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 10:14 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,032 posts, read 3,250,723 times
Reputation: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew
Yes, those teachers were approaching education from a different angle. It's called the left-hand path. That was more than education. It was indoctrination of kids into the occult without consent.
Whatever it is called, the word "occult" means hidden so it is not in itself an 'evil' thing and it has no 'evil' connotation - other than what folks who do not understand it, place on it. I assume there are hidden teachings of every religion which are kept away from the ordinary public. For example, there is probably a handbook of exorcism given to Catholic priests when they express an interest in that line of work. There is probably a hidden body of knowledge which is shared with initiates in every society or group and certainly there is in the fraternities. Now... can you call these groups 'evil'? Possibly, but I am willing to bet most of your business colleagues are in some kind of fraternity and so in your world there are probably more 'evil' people than 'good' people - even if they are calling themselves Christians on Sundays. (and that's NOT Christian-bashing)

There are some people who do not want the kind of standard religious education which is given to young people these days. They want their children to be able to make up their own mind what they believe. Now, everyone wants to live in a safe world so of course in schools we have to teach them certain morals and behaviours which lead to this end, but it does not have to be colored by any one religion. However, I think kids do need to be aware of other religions too - because this promotes religious tolerance.

You may call this a kind of liberalism, but what some people call 'liberalism' others call freedom of choice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 10:36 PM
 
2,019 posts, read 980,694 times
Reputation: 5452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Whatever it is called, the word "occult" means hidden so it is not in itself an 'evil' thing and it has no 'evil' connotation - other than what folks who do not understand it, place on it. I assume there are hidden teachings of every religion which are kept away from the ordinary public. For example, there is probably a handbook of exorcism given to Catholic priests when they express an interest in that line of work. There is probably a hidden body of knowledge which is shared with initiates in every society or group and certainly there is in the fraternities. Now... can you call these groups 'evil'? Possibly, but I am willing to bet most of your business colleagues are in some kind of fraternity and so in your world there are probably more 'evil' people than 'good' people - even if they are calling themselves Christians on Sundays. (and that's NOT Christian-bashing)

There are some people who do not want the kind of standard religious education which is given to young people these days. They want their children to be able to make up their own mind what they believe. Now, everyone wants to live in a safe world so of course in schools we have to teach them certain morals and behaviours which lead to this end, but it does not have to be colored by any one religion. However, I think kids do need to be aware of other religions too - because this promotes religious tolerance.

You may call this a kind of liberalism, but what some people call 'liberalism' others call freedom of choice.
I've repped you too much, apparently, but I owe you a million more for this post.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 10:40 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,032 posts, read 3,250,723 times
Reputation: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I had an episode of sleep paralysis complete with hallucination and strongly believed that ghosts and demons were real. I studied the topic quite a bit, and came to understand that there is no science to account for the existence of such things. When I was 12-13, I discovered sleep paralysis on a discovery channel special, felt a great relief, and really learned about how your senses can deceive you.
In order to know or believe something is "real", we have to rely on our senses sending signals to our brains.

What makes you think something is NOT real? Reality is the constructed "picture" of your world as it comes into your brain through your various senses, so how do you know your senses are lying? You dont, because thats all we have to construct our world. As babies we start to construct this picture of the world we live in, and it goes on becoming more and more 'real' as we get older. Even to the point where we actually do not consciously register something our subconscious tells us is not real. (man dressed as gorilla experiment)

Everything else is just other people (media, governments, doctors, priests, etc) telling us our senses are wrong.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
 
3,561 posts, read 2,546,056 times
Reputation: 6878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
In order to know or believe something is "real", we have to rely on our senses sending signals to our brains.

What makes you think something is NOT real? Reality is the constructed "picture" of your world as it comes into your brain through your various senses, so how do you know your senses are lying? You dont, because thats all we have to construct our world. As babies we start to construct this picture of the world we live in, and it goes on becoming more and more 'real' as we get older. Even to the point where we actually do not consciously register something our subconscious tells us is not real. (man dressed as gorilla experiment)

Everything else is just other people (media, governments, doctors, priests, etc) telling us our senses are wrong.
You know something is not real when it has no dependently verifiable reality. Millions, perhaps billions of people across the planet having the same experience, and yet not one credible video.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,032 posts, read 3,250,723 times
Reputation: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches
You know something is not real when it has no dependently verifiable reality.
How sad when we have to rely on external measuring equipment to prove to ourselves something is real.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20
Everything else is just other people (media, governments, doctors, priests, etc) telling us our senses are wrong.
Ok, then I want to modify what I said earlier to be as follows:

Everything else is just other people (media, governments, doctors, priests, scientists etc) telling us our senses are wrong.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:44 AM
 
661 posts, read 371,866 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
How sad when we have to rely on external measuring equipment to prove to ourselves something is real.




Ok, then I want to modify what I said earlier to be as follows:

Everything else is just other people (media, governments, doctors, priests, scientists etc) telling us our senses are wrong.
Good point.

Nobody, other than I, can verify objectively what crossed my
mind five minutes ago. Does this mean that what crossed my
mind didn't actually do so?


-
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top