Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 09:12 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,114,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Anyone who has seen countless ghost footage (and not the for-entertainment ghost show variety), will probably become familiar with two key behaviors that apparitions exhibit.

One consistency is that these encounters tend to be extremely brief, usually lasting only a second or two. This confronts the notion that many people have, that being that an apparition will persist long enough to take questions or be approached.

Type A) The spirit can be seen briefly in transit between two places, such as between doorways, across the threshold of a window/door, down a hallway etc. These tend to go unnoticed by nearby observers, hence finding them later when rewatching footage. Also the apparition itself often does not seem to have any awareness of those filming.

Type B) The spirit can be observed peering partially around a corner. These seem to be very common in videos, usually only a head and hand being exposed momentarily before slinking back into cover. Those behind the camera are either caught completely off guard, causing a fright and unfortunately blurring the film as they jump in reaction. Or they, like type A, do not see it in the moment. Very creepy indeed.
I believe in ghosts because I've seen them three times with my own eyes & every neuron in my brain, every sensory cell in my body; was alive & crackling with Fight or Flight as it was happening.

I'm not sure if I believe they can be captured on video or audio recordings, though.

The first two were the same night; of the same tall, dark man & both times he was not only in a doorway but standing behind me in the mirror. Two different mirrors in two different rooms. One room the light was on, the other room the light was off but I saw him as a dark silhouette both times. He did not give off an aura of danger but one of "watching over".

I was not the only person to see him that night. A friend came over later on & asked who the guy was who was sitting on my bed. Described him exactly as what I had seen.

The third time (second ghost) was on I-25 just south of Castle Rock in the middle of the night. I saw him full on, full body for a few seconds. He was pale & older; wearing faded jeans, a denim button up shirt & a tan hat. He had longish gray-blonde hair & a sad face. He locked eyes with me from the side of the highway as I approached & then stepped out in front of me. I locked the brakes up & spun the car in a circle & it was totally silent. No thump, no impact, no sounds whatsoever.

My son in the passenger seat was asleep & missed the whole thing. He woke up as the car spun around.

But about a year later, another son's friends were in a car in that exact same spot coming home late at night from a concert in Denver & the exact same thing happened to them. A sad looking old man in denim & a hat stepped out in front of them & caused them to lose control of the car & go off the road. Thankfully, nobody was hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 10:35 AM

666 posts, read 427,531 times
Sounds to me like a case for a dashcam.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:04 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My late husband, who was not a believer, even though this… was at a friends house one day when he was about 17. They’d been smoking some weed, enjoying television, and the friend asked if he wanted a drink. The friend was out in the kitchen grabbing them some sodas, and my husband turned around and saw a little old lady standing there smiling at him. She was dressed very old-fashioned, but not unlike older Italian women dressed in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. So in his head it didn’t look weird because he was at his Italian friends house.

My late husband spoke to her very nicely said hello told her his name. And she just smiled, nodded, and my husband figured maybe she didn’t speak much English. His friend walked back into the living room and hubs turned to him and said I just met your grandmother. His friend looked at him and said my grandmother lives in Ohio. Hubs turned back to the lady and she was gone.

Friend looked at hubs and said old lady dressed in black? Hub nodded his head, friend laughed and said oh yeah we see her every once in a while, she used to live here.

My husband died two years ago, nothing’s happened. Thought I thought I had a sign once, I went to my Dr.‘s new office which was in the same little complex where my husband received radiotherapy every day for three months, got into my car and smelled chocolate. After he got his radiation he would grab a piece of chocolate the drs provided to have on the road home. About a week later I found the melted malted milk ball. Since I had had malted milk balls the few days before, and I knew I had dropped one but I thought I got it. Apparently I missed one.

So I’m not actually a believer either, but out of all of the realms of the paranormal, ghosts seem the most viable paranormal experience.
I'm surprised with the story your husband told you, you're not an actual believer. That's about one of the best ghost stories I've read here. Certainly your husband saw what he saw and had it confirmed by his friend.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That sounds like a genuine ghost encounter. If you read ghost stories from past centuries, in most of them, the person had no clue he or she was seeing and speaking with a ghost. The ghost looked just like any other person.

It's why I am so skeptical of such stories as transparent ghosty-whosties and orbs and mists. Those are the invention of the stage, later taken up by the movies. It would not be unlike a sudden spate of Thor sightings across the globe, all of whom described Chris Hemsworth. That alone should be a red flag.

Whatever ghosts may be, if they are indeed an apparition of a deceased person, there is no reason to think it happens to everyone. Who knows why some people might "pass on" and others linger?
why isnt there a big increase in 'Thor sightings' though? Seems logical...Avengers is very popular, its not a stretch that some people would mistakenly think they see a real 'THOR', or that some may want to propagate the notion that a real Thor does exist...right?

History/mythology is there for Thor too.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:18 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm surprised with the story your husband told you, you're not an actual believer. That's about one of the best ghost stories I've read here. Certainly your husband saw what he saw and had it confirmed by his friend.
Well, years later he did tell me that he was stoned out of his mind. He never really did anything harder than pot. He tried LSD once, didn’t like it, he tried cocaine twice, he really didn’t get that at all. He was pretty high energy to begin with the last thing he needed was more energy. So cocaine was a very unpleasant experience plus snorting, not his thing.

In a number of ways he felt what he saw wasn’t real. He felt that just maybe he had heard about this ghost and it was in his head, and he saw it in an extremely altered state.

I am using the word felt here because many years had passed, and he didn’t know for sure, and of course the extreme altered state he was in. Something else he didn’t do is a lot of smoke until you’re wrecked. He much preferred the buzz than getting wrecked. He was the same way with alcohol. When he drank he liked the buzz, very rarely did he get “I’m going to spend the night in the bathtub” drunk. In fact, I think he only did that once when I was with him in 40 years.

So I had met him a couple of years after this happened, and when he told me about it he was more sure of it when we were young. But as we got older and the further away from the event that he got, he doubted what he saw more and more.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:28 PM

22,930 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
why isnt there a big increase in 'Thor sightings' though?
Because no one believes in Thor anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Seems logical...Avengers is very popular, its not a stretch that some people would mistakenly think they see a real 'THOR', or that some may want to propagate the notion that a real Thor does exist...right?
No. Because no one believes that there is a "real Thor."

Anyone who claims that a blond super himbo flew out of the sky, twirled his cape, and spun his hammer at them ... well, my first thought is that they have been watching too many movies and let their imagination get away with them, had a dream, or were under the influence of something. There is a whole long list of possibilities I find much more plausible than: Thor is real, and he really looks like Chris Hemsworth.

Same principle applies to ghosts. All too often what people report is the stage and screen version of ghosts. Go back and read accounts of ghosts sightings from previous centuries. More ofthen than not, the supposed ghost looked and sounded just like a real person.

I'm not sure what ghosts are exactly. But I am fairly confident that walking around dark basements with video cameras and screaming into the shadows is not going to yield plausible results.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times
Quote:
Well, years later he did tell me that he was stoned out of his mind. He never really did anything harder than pot. He tried LSD once, didn’t like it, he tried cocaine twice, he really didn’t get that at all. He was pretty high energy to begin with the last thing he needed was more energy. So cocaine was a very unpleasant experience plus snorting, not his thing.

In a number of ways he felt what he saw wasn’t real. He felt that just maybe he had heard about this ghost and it was in his head, and he saw it in an extremely altered state.

I am using the word felt here because many years had passed, and he didn’t know for sure, and of course the extreme altered state he was in. Something else he didn’t do is a lot of smoke until you’re wrecked. He much preferred the buzz than getting wrecked. He was the same way with alcohol. When he drank he liked the buzz, very rarely did he get “I’m going to spend the night in the bathtub” drunk. In fact, I think he only did that once when I was with him in 40 years.

So I had met him a couple of years after this happened, and when he told me about it he was more sure of it when we were young. But as we got older and the further away from the event that he got, he doubted what he saw more and more.
Marijuana would not cause someone to see something that isnt there, even LSD doesnt really work like that. (ive explained that a few times on here).

I think, for some people, seeing things like this, its just too 'bizarre', so they try to convince themselves it wasnt real or was a hallucination, if they cannot explain it, it doesnt exist.

Old 10-05-2021, 02:28 PM

666 posts, read 427,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
~
Same principle applies to ghosts. All too often what people report is the stage and screen version of ghosts. Go back and read accounts of ghosts sightings from previous centuries. More ofthen than not, the supposed ghost looked and sounded just like a real person.
Emphasis mine. Contrary to what I asserted in my first post, some captures do involve a apparitions which persists and can be "approached" and "asked questions".

Old 10-05-2021, 04:07 PM

22,930 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Emphasis mine. Contrary to what I asserted in my first post, some captures do involve a apparitions which persists and can be "approached" and "asked questions".
Video is definitely creepy and well done. But is it a ghost? I'm skeptical. Looks staged to me.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:52 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
My late husband, who was not a believer, even though this… was at a friends house one day when he was about 17. They’d been smoking some weed, enjoying television, and the friend asked if he wanted a drink. The friend was out in the kitchen grabbing them some sodas, and my husband turned around and saw a little old lady standing there smiling at him. She was dressed very old-fashioned, but not unlike older Italian women dressed in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. So in his head it didn’t look weird because he was at his Italian friends house.

My late husband spoke to her very nicely said hello told her his name. And she just smiled, nodded, and my husband figured maybe she didn’t speak much English. His friend walked back into the living room and hubs turned to him and said I just met your grandmother. His friend looked at him and said my grandmother lives in Ohio. Hubs turned back to the lady and she was gone.

Friend looked at hubs and said old lady dressed in black? Hub nodded his head, friend laughed and said oh yeah we see her every once in a while, she used to live here.

My husband died two years ago, nothing’s happened. Thought I thought I had a sign once, I went to my Dr.‘s new office which was in the same little complex where my husband received radiotherapy every day for three months, got into my car and smelled chocolate. After he got his radiation he would grab a piece of chocolate the drs provided to have on the road home. About a week later I found the melted malted milk ball. Since I had had malted milk balls the few days before, and I knew I had dropped one but I thought I got it. Apparently I missed one.

So I’m not actually a believer either, but out of all of the realms of the paranormal, ghosts seem the most viable paranormal experience.
Wow! Your late husband was a very difficult person to convince! That "little old lady dressed in black" incident, would be MORE than enough to convince most folks. Especially since the sighting was confirmed by your husband's friend.

Do you believe that he saw what he said he saw? I am curious, how did you explain the sighting? Or, the confirmation by the friend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal