Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,401 times

Advertisements

The only thing people i know can remember about Salmond is making bozo statements like if Scotland copies Icelands (pre-crash) economic model thats the way forward.

Other than that, he's a non-entity to most people in England. I wish Scotland independence, but fear for them if a moron like Salmond is their leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
I remember when Salmond pointed to Ireland as an example of what an independent Scotland could aspire to.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I remember when Salmond pointed to Ireland as an example of what an independent Scotland could aspire to.
I wonder what he thinks with the Irish economy and government finances the way it is it is now?

This guy also thinks that Scotland should be subservient to the European Union ... why become independent if he is just going to hand Scotland over to the bureaucrats in Brussels? That alone should lead anyone to seriously question the idea of 'independence'.

Seriously, how does anyone take this guy seriously? Every plan, every idea the SNP comes up with for post-independence sustainability is flawed or impractical.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I wonder what he thinks with the Irish economy and government finances the way it is it is now?

This guy also thinks that Scotland should be subservient to the European Union ... why become independent if he is just going to hand Scotland over to the bureaucrats in Brussels? That alone should lead anyone to seriously question the idea of 'independence'.

Seriously, how does anyone take this guy seriously? Every plan, every idea the SNP comes up with for post-independence sustainability is flawed or impractical.

Garbage. It's not about being subservient to the EU but being a member of the EU. Scotland could be a stronger member than the UK currently is, and at the end if the day, that could be a far stronger and more economically beneficial position that being 'subserviant' to Westminster. It's not that complicated.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
The only thing people i know can remember about Salmond is making bozo statements like if Scotland copies Icelands (pre-crash) economic model thats the way forward.

Other than that, he's a non-entity to most people in England. I wish Scotland independence, but fear for them if a moron like Salmond is their leader.
And David Cameron is what? A great intellectual leader? Get real. Cameron is the most economically retarded leader I've heard in a generation. Anything Scotland could do to go in a different direction would be a good thing.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
You've changed your tone massively Ian, you were against Scottish independence but now you appear to be for it.

Anyway, there is no denying that while Alex Salmond is a crafty politician, he is an idiot - I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him (and that wouldn't be possible)

Old 03-10-2012, 12:10 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Garbage. It's not about being subservient to the EU but being a member of the EU. Scotland could be a stronger member than the UK currently is, and at the end if the day, that could be a far stronger and more economically beneficial position that being 'subserviant' to Westminster. It's not that complicated.
LOL - could being the operative word here. If Scotland joined the EU, it would be obliged to join the Euro, Alex Salmonds' plan on retaining the pound sterling wouldn't work and he would have to sign Scotland up to the new EU fiscal contract, and sign over Scotland's sovereignty to a bureaucratic Brussels. Well done.

And come on, get off it, Scotland has a population smaller then London, it would not be a major world player or European player, especially not compared to the remaining union. In fact a London city-state would be far more influential then Scotland, and even the UK as a whole!

Sorry to sound abrupt here but honestly, what are you smoking? It's hard to have a debate with someone who cannot even stick to a story.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
LOL - could being the operative word here. If Scotland joined the EU, it would be obliged to join the Euro, Alex Salmonds' plan on retaining the pound sterling wouldn't work and he would have to sign Scotland up to the new EU fiscal contract, and sign over Scotland's sovereignty to a bureaucratic Brussels. Well done.

And come on, get off it, Scotland has a population smaller then London, it would not be a major world player or European player, especially not compared to the remaining union. In fact a London city-state would be far more influential then Scotland, and even the UK as a whole!

Sorry to sound abrupt here but honestly, what are you smoking? It's hard to have a debate with someone who cannot even stick to a story.
Smoking whatever it is that Alex Salmond is smoking.

Don't even get me started on Jolly Alex's North Sea oil claims ... which he conveniently forgets to mention will run dry by the early 2020s ... can't fund an EU subservient Scandinavian style nanny state on empty oil deposits ...

Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You've changed your tone massively Ian, you were against Scottish independence but now you appear to be for it.

Anyway, there is no denying that while Alex Salmond is a crafty politician, he is an idiot - I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him (and that wouldn't be possible)

No I haven't. I'm for a strong united UK just as I am for a strong united EU. But, given Cameron's quest for a downward spiral into the recession abyss I can understand the Scottish argument for independence. I'm not for it at all. Its the same with Europe - the Euro is not a failure, but Europe's ability to be aligned politically.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I wish I was smoking, but its illegal where I live!

Scotland could be a strong player in Europe - why wouldn't it? The UK's financial industry is what gives it wealth but that is hardly secure. The deregulation (and others) policies coupled with massive over-leveraging and underway again under this government. The UK's influence is dwindling by the day - did you read any of the financial press yesterday? Unemployment stuck, homelessness rising, businesses closing etc etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom