Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
How is everyone? Excited about the Olympics? I certainly am
I can't wait - I have tickets for the football final, two other footie games, badminton and trampoline! They actually sent tube passes with the tickets for the events that are in London!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I can't wait - I have tickets for the football final, two other footie games, badminton and trampoline! They actually sent tube passes with the tickets for the events that are in London!
Badminton, gosh, that brings back memories. I was very good at that!

I'm a bit of a romantic and I'm not such a fan of modern Olympics for a variety of reasons, but I always try to watch sports like badminton, athletics, swimming and gymnastics. I look forward to London, it will be good. Lucky you!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
Hello folks, forgive the wall of text but if I may be permitted to chime in on the UK?

My British born wife and I have returned home to Alaska after a 2 week honeymoon to the UK, starting in Scotland, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Drymen where we stayed in a rambling inn that was established in the 17th century, York, Oxford, London, Avebury and Stonehenge, even a day trip to Paris on the Eurostar, and I haven't been able to stop talking or thinking about the UK since then. It was a transformational trip. I had never seen buildings that had such history or that affected me in actual emotional fashion. I got to hold a hawk, operate a canal lock, enjoy haggis, see the crown jewels of Scotland and England, stand on Hadrian's Wall, travel (legally) at 150mph across land, and climb on steps of stone that have been trod on so long and by so many that the stone is worn in the middle. While the native population here was leaving firstborn female infants and old people out on the ice for the polar bears to clean up you guys were building empires, and it was awe inspring and a bit humbling.

I loved the 20 oz pints of good dark beer that satisfies thirst and hunger, fish and chips with a huge fillet of cod that is dipped and fried right then for the US equivalent of $6, that's a $15 dish or more here. Pork with crackling, bacon!! Cars that get reasonable fuel economy and the roads that might not be so great for cars but look to be fantastic for bikes. The power shower-such a seemingly simple device but nothing like it exists here. Castles, cathedrals, lochs, the little brewery near loch Fyne that was so free with the samples I was glad the wife was driving. All done, it's a fantastic place unlike anywhere I had ever been and we'll be back again

It was a dangerous trip to make-I've been a bit restless here lately, Alaska is starting to feel a bit confined and there really isn't that many places to go these days. A feller starts getting ideas....not likely to happen but you guys there seem to have a decent place there. I hope I wasn't too much of a Griswald while we were there. Thanks for the memories!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 766 times
Unhappy coldplay concert this july in london

hi, I will be going to UK for the next two months and thus I'm DYING to go to Coldplay concert. Can I join anybody who wish to go too? yes, you are a STRANGER but we can get to know each other and become friends. haha. please respond, anybody, my home country is not listed in Coldplay tour so I really need to go to that concert in London.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
That is exactly why i'm going in August to soak up some of those things, i have to have my UK fix every couple of years.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:59 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Can someone soak up the flipping rain while they're about it.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
I am back visiting my parents in Scotland from Spain and it is horrible weather, seemingly the worst summer in 100 years because of a change in direction of the jet stream which has really screwed things up

Suffice to say I am enjoying my time here but looking forward to returning to the heat.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
No Scotslass, your wrong... It's GOD washing away the degenerate sins of the Heathen Brits.. The Lord God has become... ack...ick... whrrrrrrrrr..... *cough* sorry, i was possessed by the Religious Forum for a second there, it's ok.. back to normal now..

I hope the weather gets better before you go back.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
No Scotslass, your wrong... It's GOD washing away the degenerate sins of the Heathen Brits.. The Lord God has become... ack...ick... whrrrrrrrrr..... *cough* sorry, i was possessed by the Religious Forum for a second there, it's ok.. back to normal now..

I hope the weather gets better before you go back.
I was getting worried their for a sec

Yeah me too, i´ve never known a summer quite like this before yet they are having forests fires in Valencia (6 hours from me) it´s crazy weather with crazy times

Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansdll View Post
hi, I will be going to UK for the next two months and thus I'm DYING to go to Coldplay concert. Can I join anybody who wish to go too? yes, you are a STRANGER but we can get to know each other and become friends. haha. please respond, anybody, my home country is not listed in Coldplay tour so I really need to go to that concert in London.
I am not going with you after the u2 concert, you were hard work!

Last edited by sunshineleith; 07-02-2012 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom