Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,398,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
What a beautiful shot. Is the Serpentine a lake in Hyde Park or is it a river?

That picture reminds me of Central Park in New York City. Both are lovely places. I recall seeing and hearing a fellow in HP standing on a crate and shouting about some issue. This was back in the late 70s. Do they still do that?
Yes the serpentine is a lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,907,850 times
No, it won't even if the population triples itself. The majority of the 63million inhabitants of the UK live South of 55N and are situated in cities. There is a LOT of free land in Scotland and even in rural parts of England.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM

670 posts, read 906,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Gonna get" full? *&^%$, I couldn't imagine being cooped up on that island with 60 million other people.

Some of us just hang on to the edges.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Zzz, what makes you think you know better than those of us who actually live here and see everyday the high property prices, traffic congestion and water shortages coming up, all caused or made worse by a dense population? Why should we care what you think about what our population/immigration levels should be?
From what I gather, the high property prices and congestion is mostly London. I don't think the rest of the UK is so much. Liverpool certainly isn't "full".

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Here's the problem. If they took out the greenbelt laws, about half of England would become one giant sprawling suburb. England is not the US and vice versa. Can you imagine Michigan or Florida being paved over almost entirely?
Greenbelt laws aren't the best economics, but not having them isn't very good either. It does encourage "leapfrog" development far away from the city past the greenbelt. I like that the UK has little "rural sprawl", but it'd be nice if the rural areas weren't devoid of trees.

I think the bigger issue of crowding is that much of the growth in the country goes to London (from what I've heard) rather than cities with more space. London might appear crazy but most of the inner area are at most half the density of New York City (most of NYC is not high rises but rather 4-5 story apartment buildings). It wouldn't be full if it was built like New York, not saying London should be torn and rebuilt of course

Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,398,229 times
Your right congestion & high property prices are consentrated in the SE and London I really think the government needs to shift the attention to other cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc to give the SE less strain on housing, transport and more free space...
I think it would also benefit those areas local economy. Improve other UK cities other than London for a change, for example why can't the government really invest in the other great cities to attract people to work and live there.
But no it's all about London because its 'the UK's largest city' and its 'our capital'.

oh well.....

Old 12-13-2012, 04:24 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,421,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
Some of us just hang on to the edges.
Funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,421,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From what I gather, the high property prices and congestion is mostly London. I don't think the rest of the UK is so much.
I don't know. I was online looking at houses in Surrey, just for fun recently. I knew prices were high in the U.K., but I was astounded at how high for what you get.

Of course, I live in the southeast U.S., which is very inexpensive.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I don't know. I was online looking at houses in Surrey, just for fun recently. I knew prices were high in the U.K., but I was astounded at how high for what you get.

Of course, I live in the southeast U.S., which is very inexpensive.
I think part of Surrey functions as a wealthy outer suburb of London, so not really UK outside of London.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,859,077 times
Edinburgh, East Dumbartonshire (Glasgow suburbs) Berkshire, Buckinghamshire etc. Plenty of places very, very expensive out of London.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 PM

54 posts, read 59,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think part of Surrey functions as a wealthy outer suburb of London, so not really UK outside of London.

The greater London area is all very expensive but there is not what I would consider a really nice and affordable area anywhere in the south. The BBC has the average price of a flat at £245k and a detached house at £340k. That is very expensive when you consider the average salary is around £24k: ten times less the average price of a flat. These averages are obviously pushed up by London but its still pricey.

I used to live in Southern California which is very expensive for the US but even there is more affordable than here in terms of real estate. OZ has now become more expensive than here which makes one wonder how people will ever afford family homes in either country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom