Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Hello from across the pond! I'm not used to being considered a yank, because I am from the southern US, but I'll bear that distinction in a few months when I visit Yorkshire.

I am very excited about the trip. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to visit England, and my daughter is moving to Harrogate, so I'll probably visit her at least once a year over the next four years or so.

I'm an Anglophile and have a deep appreciation for British humor, literature, history and what I know of the culture - albeit what I know is gleaned from second hand information!

As an American, and a Texan, I hear through the grapevine that we're not well liked or well respected generally in the UK. I'm hoping that's not true, and that the people I meet when I'm there will judge me based on the way I carry myself rather than by where I'm from. Do you think this is an unrealistic expectation?

Speaking of carrying myself, I would love some advice on social faux pas that I should avoid. I believe in "When in Rome, do as the Romans," and I certainly intend to be as polite and thoughtful as possible. (I'm a seasoned traveler - just haven't made it to the UK yet - but have spent a lot of time in Europe.) Any pointers on how I can represent the US and Texas well while in your country would be appreciated.

Also - I'd love to hear your suggestions on trip itinerary. My husband and I will be in London for three days and then in Yorkshire for about four days. I know there's no way to possibly see everything in that short a time, and we don't want to run at a breakneck speed. We plan to return often, so we'll have the opportunity to see more as the years go on. But what would you suggest we make a priority on this first trip?

My interests are Tudor history, the Elizabethan Age, antiques, England's naval history, family -oriented pubs (as opposed to night clubs), the Thames, traditions surrounding "high tea" and local cuisine, and good ethnic restaurants.

Hoping to hear from some of you soon! Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,650,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hello from across the pond! I'm not used to being considered a yank, because I am from the southern US, but I'll bear that distinction in a few months when I visit Yorkshire.

I am very excited about the trip. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to visit England, and my daughter is moving to Harrogate, so I'll probably visit her at least once a year over the next four years or so.

I'm an Anglophile and have a deep appreciation for British humor, literature, history and what I know of the culture - albeit what I know is gleaned from second hand information!

As an American, and a Texan, I hear through the grapevine that we're not well liked or well respected generally in the UK. I'm hoping that's not true, and that the people I meet when I'm there will judge me based on the way I carry myself rather than by where I'm from. Do you think this is an unrealistic expectation?

Speaking of carrying myself, I would love some advice on social faux pas that I should avoid. I believe in "When in Rome, do as the Romans," and I certainly intend to be as polite and thoughtful as possible. (I'm a seasoned traveler - just haven't made it to the UK yet - but have spent a lot of time in Europe.) Any pointers on how I can represent the US and Texas well while in your country would be appreciated.

Also - I'd love to hear your suggestions on trip itinerary. My husband and I will be in London for three days and then in Yorkshire for about four days. I know there's no way to possibly see everything in that short a time, and we don't want to run at a breakneck speed. We plan to return often, so we'll have the opportunity to see more as the years go on. But what would you suggest we make a priority on this first trip?

My interests are Tudor history, the Elizabethan Age, antiques, England's naval history, family -oriented pubs (as opposed to night clubs), the Thames, traditions surrounding "high tea" and local cuisine, and good ethnic restaurants.

Hoping to hear from some of you soon! Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.
Well I'm originally from Yorkshire now living in London so ought to be qualified to answer your question... If you're only three days in London and don't want to overdo it then Hampton Court Palace, the V&A museum, the British Museum and Cutty Sark might be worth looking into. The most famous place for ethnic restaurants is Brick Lane, though it's very touristy.

As for Yorkshire (assuming you're renting a car? You wouldn't need one in London but to get around quickly between towns in Yorkshire I'd definitely recommend one), then York's definitely worth a visit, plus Haworth if you've read any of the Bronte sisters' books and maybe Whitby if you like naval history. Leeds city centre is worth visiting but isn't as historical as the other places. There's a lot of fairly nice countryside in the Dales with fairly empty roads worth looking at if you like landscapes.

I shouldn't think you need to worry about any hostility because of where you're from - the people you'd meet in the places you'd want to go to are used to American tourists and there really isn't much ill-will.

Enjoy!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,174,541 times
As an American who just returned from a trip to the UK, I can say that I felt no ill will anywhere on the trip. Don't be a "Griswald" and enjoy the UK, I surely did.
Are you planning to go on the Eye? You should, it's quite the view and didn't cause me or the wife any distress and neither one of us care for heights. Definitely go to York, and tour the Minster, and if you're in reasonable shape do the tower. 275 narrow steps but once again, what a view!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 PM

16,665 posts, read 17,428,904 times
I'm even more qualified having lived in Yorkshire, London and Texas!

As far as Yorkshire goes Harrogate is not far from York which is a very interesting and important historical city.

You are also near to Skipton Castle;

Skipton Castle, Superbly Preserved Medieval Castle, Yorkshire

As far as faux pas go, one particular thing to bear in mind is that the Iraq war- the second one- is hugely unpopular here and Dubya was highly unpopular.

If you're as nice and friendly as the vast majority of Texans I know you'll be fine.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Well I'm originally from Yorkshire now living in London so ought to be qualified to answer your question... If you're only three days in London and don't want to overdo it then Hampton Court Palace, the V&A museum, the British Museum and Cutty Sark might be worth looking into. The most famous place for ethnic restaurants is Brick Lane, though it's very touristy.

As for Yorkshire (assuming you're renting a car? You wouldn't need one in London but to get around quickly between towns in Yorkshire I'd definitely recommend one), then York's definitely worth a visit, plus Haworth if you've read any of the Bronte sisters' books and maybe Whitby if you like naval history. Leeds city centre is worth visiting but isn't as historical as the other places. There's a lot of fairly nice countryside in the Dales with fairly empty roads worth looking at if you like landscapes.

I shouldn't think you need to worry about any hostility because of where you're from - the people you'd meet in the places you'd want to go to are used to American tourists and there really isn't much ill-will.

Enjoy!
Hampton Court is definitely on my list, as is Westminster Abbey, the British Museum, and some good ethnic food! I hadn't even thought of Cutty Sark....hmmmm.

I'm a bit nervous about renting a car because of the opposite side driving thing. EGADS! That freaks me out a little. I was considering getting a BritRail pass and then using taxis. But would this be a problem in Yorkshire? Probably the countryside, right? And I do love landscapes and am really looking forward to seeing the moors that shaped the stories of so many English authors.

How far a drive is Harrogate from London? I mean, I know I can look up the mileage but sometimes mileage and drive time don't "jive."

I'm relieved to hear that we shouldn't have any problems with hostility.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
As an American who just returned from a trip to the UK, I can say that I felt no ill will anywhere on the trip. Don't be a "Griswald" and enjoy the UK, I surely did.
Are you planning to go on the Eye? You should, it's quite the view and didn't cause me or the wife any distress and neither one of us care for heights. Definitely go to York, and tour the Minster, and if you're in reasonable shape do the tower. 275 narrow steps but once again, what a view!
Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to hear.

I hadn't even thought about the Eye, but now you've put the idea into my noggin! I'll see if I can convince my husband to go up with me - it sounds fabulous.

And York - OF COURSE! Oh my, I don't think I have enough time on this trip - will have to break it into three or four trips...

Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I'm even more qualified having lived in Yorkshire, London and Texas!

As far as Yorkshire goes Harrogate is not far from York which is a very interesting and important historical city.

You are also near to Skipton Castle;

Skipton Castle, Superbly Preserved Medieval Castle, Yorkshire

As far as faux pas go, one particular thing to bear in mind is that the Iraq war- the second one- is hugely unpopular here and Dubya was highly unpopular.

If you're as nice and friendly as the vast majority of Texans I know you'll be fine.
Yes, you are certainly qualified!

I have three kids in the military. Anyone would be hard pressed to find a person more interested in putting a stop to these ridiculous wars than me, but thanks for the heads up. And since neither my husband nor I are Dubya fans, that shouldn't be a problem.

We will probably not "blend in," though. My husband especially looks, and acts, not only American, but distinctly Texan! But...we won't be wearing cowboy boots and hats!

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,650,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hampton Court is definitely on my list, as is Westminster Abbey, the British Museum, and some good ethnic food! I hadn't even thought of Cutty Sark....hmmmm.

I'm a bit nervous about renting a car because of the opposite side driving thing. EGADS! That freaks me out a little. I was considering getting a BritRail pass and then using taxis. But would this be a problem in Yorkshire? Probably the countryside, right? And I do love landscapes and am really looking forward to seeing the moors that shaped the stories of so many English authors.

How far a drive is Harrogate from London? I mean, I know I can look up the mileage but sometimes mileage and drive time don't "jive."

Thank you so much for your advice!
Apart from Haworth all the places mentioned in Yorkshire do have rail links (Haworth has a steam railway link but it doesn't run very often), but it's not like in London where there's a train going everywhere every few minutes - it would be pretty time-consuming as I think you'd have to go from A to B via Leeds a lot and lose time waiting around. Harrogate is about a 4/4.5 hour drive from London but it would only take about three on the train so I'd actually recommend going up on the train and then getting a car.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,723 times
I would say the maritime museum and observatory at Greenwich are a must-see given your interests. Faux pas: don't attempt to pay for anything anywhere with dollars !
Royal Museums Greenwich: sea, ships, time and the stars : RMG

Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,428,904 times
I was going to mention Greenwich.

Shame that the Queen's House will be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom