Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
...She also said that people do tend to stare at her family. She is biracial (black and white) and her husband is Puerto Rican. Not to brag, but both of them are exceptionally good looking people. They have three little girls, with riots of black curls and lovely skin. I say all that to point out that they do tend to attract some attention wherever they go -but she said that the attention is more blatant there. Not rude - and she's not offended - but she does feel more "obvious" and more self conscious....
I would put money on it having nothing to do with race and everything to do with being gorgeous.
I saw the photo of your grandaughter on your profile and I would stare - her curls are stunning and you don't see hair like that very often! Another contributing factor is that if they live in an area without a lot of immigrants, as soon as they open their mouths people will stop and stare (and then realise what they are doing and snap out of it) - they do that when I speak and I am blond with green eyes. It never happens to me in London (which is where most immigrants live and there are so many tourists from across the pond), but if you get out where there are fewer immigrants they aren't as used to a North American accent and they'll whip their heads around and stare for a minute LOL.

As an aside - on one of your trips over you'll have to visit Peterborough Cathedral - your usernamesake was buried there.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 10-16-2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
The reverse was also true of us.

People in Texas loved to hear my daughter speak saying that she had a lovely voice, which she does.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
THANK YOU EVERYONE, for such kind comments! I agree - I think people are just staring at her unconsciously out of curiosity. She's not too put off by it.

I can't wait to ask her about the mushy peas!

I also can't wait to visit all sorts of places associated with Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon, who is one of my heroes and favorite historical figures. Yorkshire sounds absolutely lovely.

WOOOHOOO!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 AM

Here's a taste of Yorkshire for you Kathryn;

Yorkshire Airlines - YouTube

Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times
that was funny Jezer!!! And Kathryn, that green slop hitting the plates is the infamous "mushy peas"

Old 10-17-2012, 03:40 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,509 times
I love that Jezer, having lived in Yorkshire in my younger days, i was there in Sept. didn't manage to get any mushy peas though, worse luck.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 AM

I last had them whilst staying in Derbyshire, not too far south of Yorkshire.

They're pretty yummy.

I guess we need to get you up to speed on various words they use as well;

michael mcintyre yorkshire accent - YouTube

Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I last had them whilst staying in Derbyshire, not too far south of Yorkshire.

They're pretty yummy.

I guess we need to get you up to speed on various words they use as well;

michael mcintyre yorkshire accent - YouTube
Oh my gosh, these videos are so funny!

My daughter told me of a pretty hilarious exchange she had in a local shop. The clerk said something to her and my daughter (in her Texas accent) said, "What?" (Which comes across as, "WHU - ut?" since all Southerners but especially Texans make all one syllable words into two syllable words!). The clerk looked surprised and said, "What?" which came out of course as "Wha?" My daughter said, "WHU-ut? Excuse me?" and the clerk said, "WHA? Wha yew on abou?" My daughter said, "I'm sorry, what?" and the clerk said, "What?" and finally they figured out they were saying the same word!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
THANK YOU EVERYONE, for such kind comments! I agree - I think people are just staring at her unconsciously out of curiosity. She's not too put off by it.

I can't wait to ask her about the mushy peas!

I also can't wait to visit all sorts of places associated with Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon, who is one of my heroes and favorite historical figures. Yorkshire sounds absolutely lovely.

WOOOHOOO!!!
Then you HAVE to come down to my neck of the woods in the Cotswolds to visit Sudeley Castle (near Cheltenham). Okay, it was the home of Katherine Parr but hey, close enough

Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Then you HAVE to come down to my neck of the woods in the Cotswolds to visit Sudeley Castle (near Cheltenham). Okay, it was the home of Katherine Parr but hey, close enough
Hey, any of those broads will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom