Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 PM

87 posts, read 270,016 times

Advertisements

The UK is the pits.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 PM

87 posts, read 270,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I did say they were "common" and not "entirely universal". My experience and the experiences of almost everyone else I've talked to were negative. The anti-Americanism there, particularly after Bush took office, is not only unpleasant...it's intolerable.
It's called jealousy, but the British "pride" won't allow them to admit it. Keep a stiff upper lip, god save the queen, etc, etc...I see through it.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:31 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie&dave View Post
My husband is about 50% convinced to go to California but he is 90% after he has a few pints of Stella

Sounds familiar!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM

62 posts, read 389,812 times
Default UK and US food

[quote=jamesh;1705582]I can't speak for food quality in the UK (it's not like the UK is known for their cuisine or anything), but I have to say, truly American food is crap.

Hi

World's 50 Best Restaurants (http://www.theworlds50best.com/2007_list.html - broken link)

UK 2nd place 2 years running and USA got quite a few in the top 50

Old 10-13-2007, 03:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Yes but the average resident of America and the UK doesn't eat at gourmet restaurants on any regular basis.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 PM

59 posts, read 340,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yes but the average resident of America and the UK doesn't eat at gourmet restaurants on any regular basis.
Exactly. I meant supermarket food. I had thought my example of buying a bottle of fruit juice made that point clear.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:22 AM

Default food the pits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post

Hi

This was the quote

can't speak for food quality in the UK (it's not like the UK is known for their cuisine or anything), but I have to say, truly American food is crap.

Gourmet or not. The UK are for the last 3 years known for their quality of food and won several awards as has the USA

I spent 2 weeks in UK in August and had some great food and not all gourmet

I wish folk would stop making such sweeping generalisations on these fourms

Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
Exactly. I meant supermarket food. I had thought my example of buying a bottle of fruit juice made that point clear.
No it didnt as you clearly stated the food was crap. Juice is a drink

By the way most jucies you buy are full of sugar wherever you live

Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 AM

59 posts, read 340,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Maria View Post
No it didnt as you clearly stated the food was crap. Juice is a drink

By the way most jucies you buy are full of sugar wherever you live
I said "buy a bottle of fruit juice". How many times do you buy a whole bottle of fruit juice at a restaurant? A glass maybe, but a bottle?

If you are used to buying bottles of juice at restaurants then I can see where that wasn't clear though so I'll restate my opinion: processed supermarket food in the US is sh*t. I love my country, but we eat bad food and I'm not afraid to face the truth.

You're right about fruit juice being full of sugar, but I didn't expect syrupy! When I poured it down the drain I was appalled at the viscosity.

I think Americans end up eating sugar or HFCS in a lot of situations I don't think you even expect. Last Nov, while I was in SF on business I bought a peach-flavored Snapple and was floored by the sweetness. Isn't Snapple supposed to be tea? Oh man, Don't get me started on that syrupy Arizona Iced Tea crap either...

Personally I wish manufacturers would cut the sweetening in the food in the US, not only so people can start tasting the food, but also for our health. Unfortunately those manufacturers are businesses and they are simply responding to customer demand. It wouldn't hurt Americans to put down the colas and pick up some tea, not Snapple, real tea. Green tea in particular is good for your body. Ask the Japanese: they're thinner and live longer than Americans.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
I said "buy a bottle of fruit juice". How many times do you buy a whole bottle of fruit juice at a restaurant? A glass maybe, but a bottle?

If you are used to buying bottles of juice at restaurants then I can see where that wasn't clear though so I'll restate my opinion: processed supermarket food in the US is sh*t. I love my country, but we eat bad food and I'm not afraid to face the truth.

You're right about fruit juice being full of sugar, but I didn't expect syrupy! When I poured it down the drain I was appalled at the viscosity.

I think Americans end up eating sugar or HFCS in a lot of situations I don't think you even expect. Last Nov, while I was in SF on business I bought a peach-flavored Snapple and was floored by the sweetness. Isn't Snapple supposed to be tea? Oh man, Don't get me started on that syrupy Arizona Iced Tea crap either...

Personally I wish manufacturers would cut the sweetening in the food in the US, not only so people can start tasting the food, but also for our health. Unfortunately those manufacturers are businesses and they are simply responding to customer demand. It wouldn't hurt Americans to put down the colas and pick up some tea, not Snapple, real tea. Green tea in particular is good for your body. Ask the Japanese: they're thinner and live longer than Americans.
Green tea is brilliant for you. as Mint Tea and Red WIne. a glass a day breaks down the fat in your body, thats why the french usually thin people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom