Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 AM

711 posts, read 1,498,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Ian? Do you see the monarchy as being your Royal Family? An institution that you support and represents you? I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't.. call it a hunch.

If not then why worry about how it effects the rest of the British populace? If they're happy with the way things are you could just let them carry on as such. Unless you see yourself as a Republican David Icke..

Does anything on the David Icke Website Ring any bells? Do you feel a need to tell us how it really is and save us from ourselves? To open our eyes to the distorted reality in which the British live?
You don't need to believe in conspiracy theory's to understand the Monarchy's vast wealth and influence.

Nor do you need to believe in conspiracy's to understand that War is never the answer for anything.

It's hard to say if people really like the Monarchy or if they are just conditioned to accept them.

As for tourism why can't people just enjoy the castles without having a Royal Family living in them.

Has the world not moved past celebrating rich people who are born into infinite wealth?

Old 08-25-2012, 03:16 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Are you seriously trying to compare Windsor Castle with Legoland? Are you actually from the UK? Didn't you see the Eddie Izzard sketch I posted in the other thread?
Tell you what Ian, lets knock down Windsor Castle and stick a big pink plastic one there instead. That'll bring in the tourists for you eh?

FYI
Tower of London: Average 2 million visitors per year (2.55 million last year)
Legoland UK: Average 1.6 million visitors per year

Turns out there are a few more people interested in history than plastic building blocks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for fun, here's the Eddie sketch for those that missed it in the other thread

DressToKill - Eddie Izzard - Where The History Comes From - YouTube

Strange that such a simple (and accurate) point is beyond you. The tower of London would exist with or without a sitting monarch. You know that France is THE most visited country in the world right? Versailles??

Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 AM

Do you understand the articles you posted? None do anything to prove the monarch has any effect on tourism, and it is clear that the jubilee cost the UK economy billions. These articles, presented as proof of boosting tourism, make a junior school level attempt at best!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,414 times
Quote:
Are you seriously trying to compare Windsor Castle with Legoland? Are you actually from the UK? Didn't you see the Eddie Izzard sketch I posted in the other thread?
Tell you what Ian, lets knock down Windsor Castle and stick a big pink plastic one there instead. That'll bring in the tourists for you eh?

FYI
Tower of London: Average 2 million visitors per year (2.55 million last year)
Legoland UK: Average 1.6 million visitors per year

Turns out there are a few more people interested in history than plastic building blocks.
Yeah, that poster doesn't seem to have it all together.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:27 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
History, loads of it.. and class.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:29 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I think that's a fair question. The royals used to really pi** me off, especially living in Windsor and seeing them a fair amount. I guess now my taxes don't support them nor do I live in a country that does i shouldn't worry about it right? That's true and I don't. On the forum I harp on about a couple of things that used to irritate me about the UK but those things are a tiny part of the big picture. It doesnt come a cross that way because they are things brought up a lot on this forum (not much else to talk about I guess!) but when the subject is brought up I voice my opinion.

I do have the opinion that if the majority want it then they should have it - that's all part of democracy. What I would love to see is a referendum purely so that we could have the argument. Once the republic argument is out in the mainstream then opinions would change - how much? Who knows but they certainly would change.

The other thing for me is how easily people can believe in something without justification or credibility. There are many books on this subject - Lewis Woolpert at Oxford wrote a good one on beliefs and how irrational most people can be. It's more than abundant on this forum given the reasons people give for support of the monarch or the NHS for example. It's not that they can't be justified, but it's pretty scary how easy it is to convince the masses that something is right or good or worth the trade off in terms of principle, freedom or simple economics.
Nothing you've said is unreasonable to me and to be honest I would be surprised if at some point (probably not for quite a while though) the constitutional position and financial support of the monarchy becomes a larger topic of debate. Whether or not it'd ever reach a stage where Britain would hold a referendum on it becoming a Republic who knows but in all honesty I doubt it in the short to mid-term future anyway.

I think as a people we tend to be proud of what we have and what we've achieved and very accepting. We're aware that things aren't perfect in many, many ways and we hope and strive for better but I don't think that change is the way we like to do it, evolution rather than revolution (I like that, I may have to remember it ) if you know what I mean. I'm not advocating it as a way to do things but it does seem the way that we do it. Are the British change resistant? Could well be, I do certainly feel that we are to an extent and don't like to be prodded in the things we accept even if the prodding is logical and sensible. It's still something that people (all people not just the British) are more inclined to ignore or be aggravated by especially when it's something which is regarded (like the Monarchy and the NHS you also mentioned) by many, logically or not, as an institution.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it.

(With regards to the David Icke thing I thought you might appreciate it. He's a man that sticks to what he believes regardless of how.... alternative?.... some of his views are seen by others. 'David Icke', now there's an institution to be proud of. )

Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Strange that such a simple (and accurate) point is beyond you. The tower of London would exist with or without a sitting monarch. You know that France is THE most visited country in the world right? Versailles??
I understand that you think people would still visit without a monarch but my point was that you cannot compare people visiting Windsor Castle with people visiting Legoland because the comparison makes no sense. You might as well compare chalk with cheese. People visit either for entirely different reasons.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I understand that you think people would still visit without a monarch but my point was that you cannot compare people visiting Windsor Castle with people visiting Legoland because the comparison makes no sense. You might as well compare chalk with cheese. People visit either for entirely different reasons.
Sure, one is historical but people do not visit the country purely for either.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
They're not a bad bunch.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:52 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
A lot of Americans want to visit the U.K. for various reasons. Some are interested in history, many have ancestors from there, and some just think it's a nice place to visit. Often it's all three at once.

I have never once heard a fellow American say they wanted to visit because there is a functioning monarchy. It's not like they're going to meet any of the royals while on vacation!

The palaces would be just as historical and full of artifacts whether there was a royal family in residence or not. Speaking for myself, that's the only reason I'd be interested in touring a palace. They are museums in their own right.

Feel free to ditch them. We'll still visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom