Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Also fitting in to the fear issue in the States is the tying of healthcare to employers (yes a constant topic here on C-D). Many people become tied to larger corporations due to their need for a decent healthcare plan - a plan costing $600 a month via an employer would be $1400 a month privately. It tilts the balance towards bigger companies over small ones that don't have the same buying power and limits peoples mobility.

Not anymore. The health care benefits at large US companies are usually just as crappy as those at smaller companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Here's a question.

Is everyone saying that a U.K. company can't "lay off" employees at will?

What if business is down? What if they need to restructure to remain competitive?

Ford just announced several automotive plant closings in the UK. Those UK workers will be losing their jobs.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post

Where the disposable income of Americans starts to take off is in the upper middle and particularly in the upper classes, because the UK tax system is quite progressive. (i.e. Wealthier people in the UK pay relatively more tax than their American equivalents.)
Eoin

If I understand correctly, the high income taxes in England start around a salary of $80,000 per year. Or I was told that is the approximate salary range where English income taxes really start to take a bite. I would not call $80,000 a year being wealthy.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaysis View Post
Size isn't everything.

Do your Belgian friends realise that if they moved to Texas into a McMansion, they would probably (or definitely) have to:

1) Spend much more time and money commuting by car, even though petrol is less expensive state side

My commute is 1.7 miles one way to work.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 AM

I would like to know why so many British engineers work in the US. By this I mean the engineers moved to the US to work for a US company as opposed to being on a temporary overseas assignment for a British company.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,885,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaysis View Post
Size isn't everything.

Do your Belgian friends realise that if they moved to Texas into a McMansion, they would probably (or definitely) have to:

1) Spend much more time and money commuting by car, even though petrol is less expensive state side
2) Pay extortionate healthcare costs if they get sick and monthly premiums for health insurance
3) Forgoe employee and consumer rights that most Belgians, British people and EU citizens in general take for granted when starry eyed about America.
4) Pay much more to put their kids through university
5) Accept that construction in the US is generally of a lower standard (build big & cheap is the order of the day, whereas homes in Europe are generally older)
6) Work longer hours with less annual leave

It's all swings and roundabouts at the end of the day, but the notion that America is superior irritates me as it all depends what your priorities in life are and what you enjoy doing. I would not swap my cozy little flat here and my lifestyle that I enjoy for a huge McMansion in a bland American suburb. I would be bored ****less, no offence.

Personal preference.
I really like how you guys aren't really chasing after things most Americans are after. Granted there are some things I wouldn't give up here in the US, but I'm all for a much easier lifestyle than what most Americans here are after.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 AM

26 posts, read 27,844 times
US business (in New York / California area): Very formal dress code.
However, when I did business in Florida it was more relaxed with less formal clothing (Probably because of hot weather)

You make more money in the US and pay less taxes than in the UK.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,675,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I would like to know why so many British engineers work in the US. By this I mean the engineers moved to the US to work for a US company as opposed to being on a temporary overseas assignment for a British company.
Pay is a lot more, engineers aren't paid particularly well in the UK. You don't get anywhere near as much time off though, plus there are a lot more out of pocket expenses like healthcare, so it isn't directly comparable. If you just see the salary rates then the difference looks much worse than it really is.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, the high income taxes in England start around a salary of $80,000 per year. Or I was told that is the approximate salary range where English income taxes really start to take a bite. I would not call $80,000 a year being wealthy.
Only the amount over that is taxed at the higher rate (40% rather than 20%) so you would only really notice the extra bite if you earned quite a bit more. And it is the individual rate, there is no combined tax rate for married couples like in the US.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Overall, that's not "normal". Its not even close in California. I've been to Minnesota quite a lot and its not typical of Twin Cities residents either. Maybe in some upper income suburbs (Edina, Minnetonka), but not the entire metro area.
It is in Northern Minnesota. Probably at least 20-25% of middle-aged adults (can) live that way. Possibly even more, since cabins are often in the family.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 AM

554 posts, read 736,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
First off, the point that I am trying to make is not that there are not tremendous differences between rich and poor in the U.S., or that poor people in the U.S., on the whole, live better in the U.S. All that I am trying to say is the "standard of living" (in terms of material possessions) is greater in the U.S. than the U.K.
If all you're trying to say is that on the whole, US citizens have a greater disposable income, then I don't think we have much to debate about! I completely agree that above a certain income bracket (I'll do some maths in a future post to find out exactly where that point kicks in), American people have greater disposable income than their British counterparts.

The only point I'm endeavoring to make is that while this fact is indisputably true for Americans as a whole, it does not necessarily hold true for poorer Americans. I'll attempt in a later post to find out at what income level it starts to make a difference.

Thank you for the well researched post from the Duluth area, I always find it interesting to see how others live and enjoyed looking through it!

Eoin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom