Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times

Advertisements

I can say with confidence that at least Manchester is a nicer place than you are a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
Where is it you are from again bobman???

My city is great imo, your entitled to yours but I wholeheartedly disagree. Horrid?! I think you are exaggerating to a massive degree.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'd ignore comments such as the above which are not helpful in any way nor do they portray the truth, but are instead based on tired and worn out stereotypes of what certain places used to be like in the 70s and 80s.

I hear Didsbury in the south of the city is pretty cool, it has its own high street with cafes and shops and is very affluent overall, and definitely is not swamped with tourists (of which nearly 1 million visit Manchester annually, far more than Cambridge, Bath, Oxford and York).

I agree with you. I've been to Manchester and had a good time. I went there to get a copy of my great grandmother's birth certificate, which I did get, but also liked the city so hung around for a week. Some great pubs there too.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:49 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'd ignore comments such as the above which are not helpful in any way nor do they portray the truth, but are instead based on tired and worn out stereotypes of what certain places used to be like in the 70s and 80s.

I hear Didsbury in the south of the city is pretty cool, it has its own high street with cafes and shops and is very affluent overall, and definitely is not swamped with tourists (of which nearly 1 million visit Manchester annually, far more than Cambridge, Bath, Oxford and York).
I lived just off this street a few years ago, believe its called Wimslow Rd? Anyways I can vouch that this is a cozy little area, if you head just a little further down theres 'Parr wood' center which has a movie complex, arcade,pool hall, bowling alley, restaurants, etc.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:05 PM

7 posts, read 14,602 times
Hey guys,

I checked out Didsbury, and it seems like a great place.

And yes, I did ask this question before, but as someone mentioned, it only got two responses. With those responses, I asked a further question, and yet no one answered that one. I can't ask questions over and over again under the same topic if I'm not getting responses, as it would appear I was just talking to my self. So, I asked it here again, and got way more responses.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 14,602 times
Do you guys know anything about Ancoats?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 AM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
I had not really heard of it, but have just Googled it.

I thought it ironic, or perhaps fitting that one big redevelopment scheme is on hold due to the collapse of the developer.

Their name?

BS Construction.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
Dodging grenades and ammo from numerous guns that have been smuggled into Manchester airport by an ex US marine?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:44 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
Yeah I remember this
Ex Madonna bodyguard Steven Greenoe jailed for gun smuggling into UK | Mail Online

This guy was also notorious for converting hundreds of replica guns into real firearms in Manchester
Guns and gangs in Manchester: How 'Merchant of Death' Michael Sammon ran Britain's biggest replica weapon smuggling ring | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

It is supposedly rife in the army to
BBC NEWS | UK | Gun smuggling 'common' in UK army

Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I can say with confidence that at least Manchester is a nicer place than you are a person.
Really ?
You think there's a correlatory link between not liking Manchester (or Dundee), and personality ?

Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Where is it you are from again bobman???

My city is great imo, your entitled to yours but I wholeheartedly disagree. Horrid?! I think you are exaggerating to a massive degree.

Where am I from ?
For most of my life I lived around the Dunfermline area. Not in the town itself, but in a few of the little villages around the area.
I now live near to one of the most beautiful cities in Norway

I've been a professional driver for most of my life, and have been all over the UK, I've have seen some beautiful places, and some not so beautiful places.

Some fall into the "horrid" category.
Cumbernauld, Bootle, Glenrothes, Manchester, Dundee, Morecambe, Sheffield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom