Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 14,602 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

What's something incredibly fun to do in Manchester. Not something touristy, but any cool neighborhoods to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM

132 posts, read 176,239 times
Moss Side.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
Go to the station and take a train to somewhere nice............

Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
I'd ignore comments such as the above which are not helpful in any way nor do they portray the truth, but are instead based on tired and worn out stereotypes of what certain places used to be like in the 70s and 80s.

I hear Didsbury in the south of the city is pretty cool, it has its own high street with cafes and shops and is very affluent overall, and definitely is not swamped with tourists (of which nearly 1 million visit Manchester annually, far more than Cambridge, Bath, Oxford and York).

Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Yes, I was going to recommend Didsbury as well - walkable main street with lots of shops and there's a great pub there just called "The Didsbury". Castlefield is also nice, you've got the canals, old buildings that have been renovated, cobblestones.

Moss Side was suggested as a joke and bobman clearly isn't familiar with Manchester if he thinks there's nowhere nice in the city to visit. Some people are so closed minded, they just refuse to let go of outdated stereotypes.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 AM

Actually, the OP already has a thread pretty much identical to this one, which people did give him answers, but instead, he chose to ignore them completely and start another thread.

that sort of etiquette doesn't lend itself well to getting genuine help, hence the sarcastic posts.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'd ignore comments such as the above which are not helpful in any way nor do they portray the truth, but are instead based on tired and worn out stereotypes of what certain places used to be like in the 70s and 80s.

I hear Didsbury in the south of the city is pretty cool, it has its own high street with cafes and shops and is very affluent overall, and definitely is not swamped with tourists (of which nearly 1 million visit Manchester annually, far more than Cambridge, Bath, Oxford and York).

Old 10-05-2012, 03:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Maybe the OP felt a different approach to the question would yield more/different answers. If it bothers you, how about just ignoring it.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 AM

Doesn't bother me.
Although my answer was admittedly sarcastic, it does reflect my opinion.

IMHO, Manchester is one of the most hideous places in the UK, along with Middlesborough, Liverpool, Dundee and Sheffield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Maybe the OP felt a different approach to the question would yield more/different answers. If it bothers you, how about just ignoring it.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
Dundee hideous? Have you been to Perth Road, West End, Broughty Ferry, Barnhill, Birkhill, McManus Galleries, Rep Theatre, Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee Science Centre etc? You have more than likely been through the drug infested estates and formed your opinion. I can name countless places more hideous in Scotland alone never mind the UK. It's also having a billion pound waterfront regeneration, the world famous v&a museum is building a spectacular museum, it has 2 class universities, is right beside St Andrews, is a UK leader in forensic science, at the forefront of Europes renewable energy sector, it has its problems does my city but it is anything but hideous. The amazing Stephen Fry once said "Dundee's setting is probably more extraordinary than any other city in Scotland or Britain. It is about as ideal - ludicrously ideal as any city setting could be" I like his opinion better than yours!
https://reg.istrations.com/tbevent_i...x_400_land.jpg

Last edited by paull805; 10-05-2012 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM

I used to deliver parcels in Dundee, so I know practically every inch of the city.

Yes, there are a few nicer parts, but overall, the place is just horrid,
Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Dundee hideous? Have you been to Perth Road, West End, Broughty Ferry, Barnhill, Birkhill, McManus Galleries, Rep Theatre, Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee Science Centre etc? You have more than likely been through the drug infested estates and formed your opinion. I can name countless places more hideous in Scotland alone never mind the UK. It's also having a billion pound waterfront regeneration, the world famous v&a museum is building a spectacular museum, it has 2 class universities, is right beside St Andrews, is a UK leader in forensic science, at the forefront of Europes renewable energy sector, it has its problems does my city but it is anything but hideous. The amazing Stephen Fry once said "Dundee's setting is probably more extraordinary than any other city in Scotland or Britain. It is about as ideal - ludicrously ideal as any city setting could be" I like his opinion better than yours!
https://reg.istrations.com/tbevent_i...x_400_land.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom