Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times

Advertisements

I have read that Scotch-Irish (or Scots-Irish) is the American term for what British people call Ulster Scots referring to the descendants of immigrants from the time of the Plantation of Ulster.

I am curious if most British people recognize the American term. Also is the term "Ulster-Scots" still widely used, or do you simply refer to residents of Northern Ireland.

If the technology of tunnel building advances to the point that people can build an 80 mile tunnel for automobiles, would you rather see a tunnel to Dublin Ireland or Oostend in Belgium

Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I have read that Scotch-Irish (or Scots-Irish) is the American term for what British people call Ulster Scots referring to the descendants of immigrants from the time of the Plantation of Ulster.

I am curious if most British people recognize the American term. Also is the term "Ulster-Scots" still widely used, or do you simply refer to residents of Northern Ireland.

If the technology of tunnel building advances to the point that people can build an 80 mile tunnel for automobiles, would you rather see a tunnel to Dublin Ireland or Oostend in Belgium

the term " scots irish " is not really used in this part of the world , ulster scots is a term used by protestants in northern ireland of scottish ancestry to describle their cultural and ethnic heritage

btw , the scots irish in america were never irish and would not have regarded themselves as such , they were british and loyal to the crown , they called themselves scots irish to distinguish themselves from the catholic irish who arrived in america many years later

Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I'm American,. I did extensive research years ago for a college paper...Pretty interesting history. ...I grew up hearing "black Irish" never heard "scots irish". Perhaps that is a regional thing...I'm from the West Coast.
According to multiple history sources...Black Irish was a misnomer for Ulster Scots. I'm black Irish./Ulster Scots..

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I'm American,. I did extensive research years ago for a college paper...Pretty interesting history. ...I grew up hearing "black Irish" never heard "scots irish". Perhaps that is a regional thing...I'm from the West Coast.
According to multiple history sources...Black Irish was a misnomer for Ulster Scots. I'm black Irish./Ulster Scots..

black irish is a derrogotary term , i never use it

Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM

92 posts, read 159,403 times
This particular group should not be referred to as Scots or Irish. The majority of these peoples origins came from Northern England and the few that came from Scotland are lowland Scots. They should simply refer to themselves as British or English Americans. This confusing and misunderstood term "Scots Irish" has resulted in millions of Americans falsely claiming Irish ancestry. Just compare those that claim Irish ancestry to those that claim Scots Irish. You can bet that half ,if not more, of those that claim Irish are in fact Scots Irish or as I call them "English Americans".

Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
A lot of whites (and a few blacks) in the southern United States claim to be "Scotch Irish". Supposedly that's why so many of us are ornery!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
First off its ulster scots.

The tunnel would actually go betwen Northern Ireland and scotland. I would like a tunnel but. I cannot see it coming at all. I dont think the english would want it either.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM

4,691 posts, read 307,740 times
I had been told by someone who is Black Irish, that they had Spanish/Irish ancestry.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
A lot of whites (and a few blacks) in the southern United States claim to be "Scotch Irish". Supposedly that's why so many of us are ornery!
the ulster scots settled in the southern states of america in large numbers , like i said earlier , they were never irish , the term " scots irish " was invented to seperate themselves from the catholic irish who followed after them nearly a century later

the scots irish as they were known are no more irish than a german american living in minnesota

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
I had been told by someone who is Black Irish, that they had Spanish/Irish ancestry.

thats offically what it means but were you to refer to someone in ireland as being black , it would commonly mean that they were protestant

a tiny number of irish people have spanish genetic ancestry going back centurys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom