Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 03:01 AM

861 posts, read 852,442 times

Advertisements

As a Londoner in the main, I have to admit we are sometimes considered by the rest of the country as rude. I personally haven't experienced it as I find most Londoners very polite. But my brother hates London, because of what he perceives as a general level of rudness, so it may be there.

I dont think Brits are rude, but they do indulge in this sort of antagonistic banter. Laying into each other with the odd expletive thrown in for good measure (you bell*** or shut up you knob****. The inbetweeners shows this sort of style of chat very well. If you are an American you wouldn't be used to it and might be offended.

Personally I like American optimism and their can do attitude. The country still offers a lot more opportunities for progression than most places in either Ireland or the UK (except for London)

UK is a nice country, but as a lot of posters have pointed out it is a tad bottom heavy jobs wise. I like the British culture and mentality, if you muck in you are largely accepted here. I am bias as people know I have a bit of a love affair with London, but ignoring that its a great country nonetheless.

Ireland is a very friendly country second to none. Dublin is a fun town, but it can feel a bit sleepy compared to bigger cities like London or New York. The opportunities have fallen since the recent bust, but if you self employed and want a nice stress free quiet life Ireland is a top choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Look at this! 5 hours and 55 minutes from Dublin to Boston!

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...050Z/EIDW/KBOS

What is this? Oh look 10 hours and 15 minutes from Istanbul to Boston!

Turkish Airlines (TK) #81

Don't argue with me, your gonna get your ass whooped. Ireland is practically right beside Boston, it isn't even really a long haul flight.

LOL! I think you made your point! I for one am looking very much to my 6 hr 55 min flight from Philadelphia to Shannon next week.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:45 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
C'mon we all know Owen aka Sickandtiredofthis. His thinking is shall we say simplistic? I've worked in over a dozen countries and enjoyed the experience. The worst, and thank god the shortest contract was was in NI, the place is a haven for bigots.
Owens thinking is typically Northern Irish, judgemental and hypocritical. I found the Southern Irish to be far more open and friendly.
When you say the Northern Irish are bigots, can you elaborate? You have generalized an entire population with the bigotry brush. Whom exactly do they supposedly hate so much?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:05 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
They hate people not like them. Duh

Old 05-16-2015, 12:38 AM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
I loved living in London the best, and if I could figure out a way to make it work financially, I'd be back there in a shot. It's my favorite city in the world. In the meantime, I'm back in the PNW.

The only drawback to living in London, to me, was the drinking culture at night. Very often, I'd pass young people on the streets seemingly ill or pugnacious or completely off their heads. I found it distressing to see young girls, for example, dressed in very little even in the cold, staggering or falling off their high heels and bloodying their knees or hands, or being sick on the sidewalk, or sitting crying in the gutter, or fighting, or practically unconscious and being pulled up by their friends. Sometimes I saw worse things than that. Then, in the morning, there'd be pools of sick here and there. I'd worry about how many young people had hurt themselves or each other under the influence overnight, and also what would become of their poor livers in 15 or 20 years?

Ireland: I used to live with my family in Dublin, The transport there was great, and that's of very high value to me. I loved living without a car. Our children became very independent there too, as far as heading out by themselves via bus or DART while quite young (by US standards). The jaywalking everywhere, however, was heart-stopping. You'd see old people, young children--everyone!--dashing across busy streets without respecting crosswalks or traffic signals. I made my children promise never to do it when on their own--it terrified me. Irish drivers seemed much more reckless than I was used to, and write-ups of traffic accidents in the local news seemed strangely fatalistic.

It took me a while to adjust to the relative tinyness of domestic, municipal, and commercial spaces in Ireland, compared to the wide-open roominess of shops, roads, sidewalks, and the like in the Western United States. Eventually I got used to doing a miniature shopping run with a tiny little basket or cart along narrow little shopping aisles. When we returned to the USA after ages away, everything seemed to have ballooned up to a grotesque degree.

Things I really liked in Dublin were the cultural open-mindedness, the lack of references to religion in politics, the respect for education, and the warmth and accessibility of the health care providers. Also the popular support for the arts, such as the great theatre and film festivals in Dublin and other cities (Galway, for example).

Old 05-16-2015, 01:00 AM

45 posts, read 33,958 times
Why compare? UK is closer to a wiiide variety of separate countries and cultures.
US is quite geographically isolated. Also, about a billion times bigger.

Should be UK vs NJ. Or something of similar population size.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 AM

64 posts, read 100,837 times
This thread has been interesting to read. I'm an American who spent the majority of my life on the eastern seaboard areas of the US. The great thing about America is the climates and lifestyles are so varied, so there really is a style of life for whatever floats your boat (so to speak).

West Coast (Oregon and Washington State) have weather similar to Yorkshire from what I've experienced. The Coastline areas are very liberal, while the inner parts of both States are conservative. I could not afford to live on the West Coast of either state.

California, especially near Santa Barbara and a bit further up to San Luis Obispo area is absolutely gorgeous and right on the coast. Weather is nice year round....but drive about an hour east and the temperatures soar. I recall it being about 60F in Cambria and then driving to Paso Robles to do some shopping and during the drive I watched the temperature gauge hit 95F within an hour. I would have to pay $600k plus for a house in these areas...and that's at the cheap end.

Texas is also varied in temperature and it can snow in the State depending on where you live. I lived in Austin for a while and truly loved it. The medical facilities are top notch and the SXSW is an interesting event in the Spring. I could only afford to live in the suburbs (Steiner Ranch or near Bee Cave or even Round Rock) to get a house with 3 bedroom and a backyard for about $350k

I spent a lot of young adult years in the Midwest (Wisconsin) and loved it. Yes, it gets cold and snowy, but the people are so neighbourly and very nice. Although Milwaukee has some racial issues, I never had any problems and found everyone to be helpful overall. The Midwest is very very affordable. I could buy a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs of Milwaukee or Madison with a decent backyard for around $300k.

My last home areas was the Washington DC suburbs on the Northern Virginia side. We lived in a small townhouse for about $350k at 1668 sq. ft. We noticed the tread in this area with new homes is to build a drive and garage in the back, thereby forgoing any yard. We were lucky to have a smallish yard in the back. My mom's house in the area would sell for $550k and it's not even that big, just in the 'right' neighbourhood. Although, I know people who have houses that go for $700k. Weather is truly 4 seasons.

I've also lived in London and in Yorkshire. I enjoy the Yorkshire weather and find the majority of the people to be nice and helpful. The only exception to this was in Bradford. I would move back to London in a heartbeat if my job were ever to take me there again. But, I also like the Yorkshire because its a quieter and slow way of life, but I miss all the amenities of the big city too.

Cost, as one can see, is relative. London may be expensive, but so are certain areas of the US. Weather, can also differ widely in the US, and so it can in the UK as well. Certain areas of the US are shaped by their political leanings, and I see that in the UK as well.

The one thing the UK has it better than the US is the food. That is coming from an American. Although the only style of food that isn't done well here is Tex-Mex. The closest was done at Wahaca in London.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:47 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
When you say the Northern Irish are bigots, can you elaborate? You have generalized an entire population with the bigotry brush. Whom exactly do they supposedly hate so much?
I didn't say that all of the Northern Irish were bigots, I said it was a haven for bigots.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:38 AM

100 posts, read 138,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTwoShoes View Post
This thread has been interesting to read. I'm an American who spent the majority of my life on the eastern seaboard areas of the US. The great thing about America is the climates and lifestyles are so varied, so there really is a style of life for whatever floats your boat (so to speak).

West Coast (Oregon and Washington State) have weather similar to Yorkshire from what I've experienced. The Coastline areas are very liberal, while the inner parts of both States are conservative. I could not afford to live on the West Coast of either state.

California, especially near Santa Barbara and a bit further up to San Luis Obispo area is absolutely gorgeous and right on the coast. Weather is nice year round....but drive about an hour east and the temperatures soar. I recall it being about 60F in Cambria and then driving to Paso Robles to do some shopping and during the drive I watched the temperature gauge hit 95F within an hour. I would have to pay $600k plus for a house in these areas...and that's at the cheap end.

Texas is also varied in temperature and it can snow in the State depending on where you live. I lived in Austin for a while and truly loved it. The medical facilities are top notch and the SXSW is an interesting event in the Spring. I could only afford to live in the suburbs (Steiner Ranch or near Bee Cave or even Round Rock) to get a house with 3 bedroom and a backyard for about $350k

I spent a lot of young adult years in the Midwest (Wisconsin) and loved it. Yes, it gets cold and snowy, but the people are so neighbourly and very nice. Although Milwaukee has some racial issues, I never had any problems and found everyone to be helpful overall. The Midwest is very very affordable. I could buy a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs of Milwaukee or Madison with a decent backyard for around $300k.

My last home areas was the Washington DC suburbs on the Northern Virginia side. We lived in a small townhouse for about $350k at 1668 sq. ft. We noticed the tread in this area with new homes is to build a drive and garage in the back, thereby forgoing any yard. We were lucky to have a smallish yard in the back. My mom's house in the area would sell for $550k and it's not even that big, just in the 'right' neighbourhood. Although, I know people who have houses that go for $700k. Weather is truly 4 seasons.

I've also lived in London and in Yorkshire. I enjoy the Yorkshire weather and find the majority of the people to be nice and helpful. The only exception to this was in Bradford. I would move back to London in a heartbeat if my job were ever to take me there again. But, I also like the Yorkshire because its a quieter and slow way of life, but I miss all the amenities of the big city too.

Cost, as one can see, is relative. London may be expensive, but so are certain areas of the US. Weather, can also differ widely in the US, and so it can in the UK as well. Certain areas of the US are shaped by their political leanings, and I see that in the UK as well.

The one thing the UK has it better than the US is the food. That is coming from an American. Although the only style of food that isn't done well here is Tex-Mex. The closest was done at Wahaca in London.
Oh absolutely not. The UK has a disgusting national cuisine. The U.S. has more Michelin stars and has much better regional cuisines.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:14 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasey98 View Post
Oh absolutely not. The UK has a disgusting national cuisine. The U.S. has more Michelin stars and has much better regional cuisines.
And you know this how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom