Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Incorrect.

1. Sponsorship.
2. Marriage.
3. Start a business.
4. Through green card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
if you do move, you should consider rescinding the US citizenship. US is the only country that taxes ALL of their citizen's WORLDWIDE income, regardless of whether they live/work in the USA or not, whether the company you work for is based in the US or not.. if its income, you'll get taxed... it gets worse because you'll get taxed in the UK too.
Think long and hard before you do, because once you voluntarily renounce your US Citizenship, it's impossible to get back. You'd also need to check to see whether you could still travel to the US under the VWP as a former citizen, that would suck if you can't, because then you'd need to get approval from a Consul/Ambassador to re-enter the US (which is not guaranteed, but discretionary).

As far as taxation, you only get taxed if at all on your after tax earnings from that country, if you exceed a threshold that compares a differential on the local tax rates and US tax rates. I can't imagine that with the discrepancy of tax rates between US and UK that it would be possible to be taxed in both places unless you've got a vast income from investments or similar. It's basically preventing tax exile status, so you can't gain as a US Citizen by living abroad to take advantage of lower tax rates. A friend I have moved in the past couple of years to Basel, his US tax return didn't require any payment, since his taxes paid to Switzerland exceeded the payments he would have made to the US. One final point is it doesn't eliminate tax obligations either, the IRS can still pursue you for taxes, it may be impossible to enforce if you're outside the US and not be a deportable offense in the country you're living in, but the moment your foot hit US Soil, you'd be arrested and most likely imprisoned.

Of course not giving it up means you need to keep up on US tax laws, but you do have the advantage of having a US Passport, and all rights and privileges thereof.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Incorrect.

1. Sponsorship.
2. Marriage.
3. Start a business.
4. Through green card.
What is incorrect? To which post do you refer? There are no green cards in the UK. Do you have any clue what you are talking about?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Actually yes I do Moderator cut: Inflammatory

We in the UK can get Green cards - Northern Ireland people. But not GB. I am saying your are incorrect because you said you need to prove that you have $90,000 which is incorrect because as far as i'm aware even to get a green card you only have to prove that you have $10,000.

Some people who immigrate to America aren't even middle class so they will not have that money. The people who get in don't always have to prove money I don't think, for example, if you come in through a grandparent you don't need to prove.

Last edited by Gungnir; 04-20-2013 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Inflammatory language that added nothing to the points made.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Actually yes I do Moderator cut: Inflammatory

We in the UK can get Green cards - Northern Ireland people. But not GB. I am saying your are incorrect because you said you need to prove that you have $90,000 which is incorrect because as far as i'm aware even to get a green card you only have to prove that you have $10,000.

Some people who immigrate to America aren't even middle class so they will not have that money. The people who get in don't always have to prove money I don't think, for example, if you come in through a grandparent you don't need to prove.
People from the UK can get US Green cards (and there are various requirements that need to be met to receive one, including lots and lots of patience)...

People from the US cannot get UK Green Cards, since they do not exist (at least as far as I'm aware they certainly didn't in 2000 when I left). There are various immigrant visa's but not a "green card".

I think this was the point Ameriscot was trying to make.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
People from the UK can get US Green cards (and there are various requirements that need to be met to receive one, including lots and lots of patience)...

People from the US cannot get UK Green Cards, since they do not exist (at least as far as I'm aware they certainly didn't in 2000 when I left). There are various immigrant visa's but not a "green card".

Actually, there is no such thing as a "green card". It's a permanent resident card, and there is a British equivalent but its a sticker in your passport.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Actually, there is no such thing as a "green card". It's a permanent resident card, and there is a British equivalent but its a sticker in your passport.
Yeah the Brit equivalent is called Indefinite Leave to Remain or IRL for short

Quote:

What owenc is saying is that people born in Northern Ireland are eligible to apply for the Diversity Lottery green card program, but not people born in Great Britain (for those that don't know, Great Britain is Scotland+England+Wales-Northern Ireland)

Old 04-20-2013, 02:01 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Ignore

Old 04-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Really? Are you going to tell me there's also no such thing as a "quid" it's a Pound next?
USCIS - Green Card

You better get on to them and tell them there's no such thing as a green card too, I mean what would the United States Citizen and Immigrant Services know about whether there is or is not a Green Card? What are they thinking...?

Sarcasm aside yes technically you're correct, there is "no such thing as a green card" It's actually a "Legal Permanent Resident" card (LPR). However Everyone knows it as a green card. If you state you have LPR status most people (not familiar with immigration law) haven't got a clue what you're talking about, but they know what you're talking about if you say you have a Green Card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeah the Brit equivalent is called Indefinite Leave to Remain or IRL for short
Then what is "Right to Abode", because that's available too. Neither are known as a "Green Card" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What owenc is saying is that people born in Northern Ireland are eligible to apply for the Diversity Lottery green card program, but not people born in Great Britain (for those that don't know, Great Britain is Scotland+England+Wales-Northern Ireland)
Yes NI natives are eligible to enter the DV lottery, the DV 2014 instructions states United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) are restricted from entry.

However that's all nice and all, but what's it got to do with the OP (a dual national US/UK) thinking of moving to the UK?

Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Then what is "Right to Abode", because that's available too. Neither are known as a "Green Card" though.
I believe Right to Abode is only available for British Overseas Territory Citizens and British Subjects before the 1980s (1983 I believe) Immigration act went into effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom