Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I like the Pacific northwest. We have friends in Ashland Oregon.
So there ARE people who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
So the North East US is 'sub-tropical'? lol, Ive heard everything now! Us Europeans do realise you know that it gets warm in the Summer - you might be suprised to learn that the same can be said of Northern Europe - temperatures in North Europe can easily get into the 30's (yes even in England) - I know the 'average' temperature in New England (in the Summer months) may be a little higher than they are in Europe however 'tropical' it is not :-)
What they were saying is that the weather isn't like the UK's. UK weather is more comparable to coastal regions of Washington and Oregon. Also, from what I read in that post, they were saying the SUMMERS are subtropical, because they are! It is much more humid complete with more bugs than you can handle and heat related thunderstorms. Subtropical only because fronts come through (which bring more thunderstorms) and cool things off and lower the humidity temporarily.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
What they were saying is that the weather isn't like the UK's. UK weather is more comparable to coastal regions of Washington and Oregon. Also, from what I read in that post, they were saying the SUMMERS are subtropical, because they are! It is much more humid complete with more bugs than you can handle and heat related thunderstorms. Subtropical only because fronts come through (which bring more thunderstorms) and cool things off and lower the humidity temporarily.

Having hot humid summers does not make a place 'sub-tropical' or else most of the globe would be calling itself 'sub-tropical'. Here is a question - which is more 'sub-tropical' the Scilly Isles where the summer temperatures are cool but the winter temperatures are warm, where you can grow bananas and sub-tropical fuana or the US North East where the summers may be hot but the winters bring snow and ice and where you cannot grow 'sub-tropical' fauna??

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
California and Florida. New York to a lesser extent, and only because of the city.

Personally, I am interested in the New England states, and some southern states (especially cities like Savannah).
Eh. If you find the non-urban parts of New England interesting, than I think you find parts of upstate NY appealing as well.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:31 AM

37 posts, read 44,327 times
I think USA is culturally or climatically similar to the UK.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:20 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaKevin View Post
I think USA is culturally or climatically similar to the UK.

Really?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Living here in St. Augustine Florida I can tell you that there are a TON of British people here!

I like it however as it's always nice talking to people from different places.

But yeah Florida has a lot, mainly due to the nice weather and closer proximity I suspect.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Brits like good cheap holidays which is how so many are now heading for Turkey with its hot weather, sandy beaches and all inclusive deals.
Back in the day Florida was the same, it was cheap, hot and all inclusive but since airfares to the US have skyrocketed as have the prices at Disney not so many look towards the US as a holiday destination. Recently a friend of mine from the UK went to Cuba on holiday, why? because it was cheap and hot and she got a great deal.

Those who still visit the US tend to be heading for California and Las Vegas, there will always be a few like the couple I met last year who transport their motorhome across the pond and take time to travel around and see the real America.

Before moving here I had only ever visited Florida and to be honest I wasn't really impressed, since immigrating I have lived in 2 states and visited countless others. I now live in beautiful N Michigan and are any of my friends or family at home interested in visiting ... Nooooooo !
Actually I would never go on an all inclusive holiday. My idea of hell. I like value for money, but for me that's not about unlimited food and booze. I would say that until maybe 15 years ago there weren't any all inclusive package holidays (except maybe to the more far flung places).Prefer to go on a car touring holiday or book flights and accommodation independently.

As for places in the US that have similar climate to the UK I would have thought some of the Pacific NW areas, especially for number of rainy days.
I always wanted to visit Vegas and when I went I was sorely disappointed and couldn't wait to go back home (to NC)

I agree that Charleston is a wonderful place to visit, some great food etc. Very humid in Summer compared to where we are in NC but maybe not compared to Florida.
I also love the Outer Banks in NC and enjoyed a vacation I Washington DC very much. It's an easy city to get around and explore.

For the moment I'm looking forward to a holiday in France or Spain!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I agree that Charleston is a wonderful place to visit, some great food etc.
Charleston is a "must see", especially in early spring or fall. Avoid summer.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Charleston is a "must see", especially in early spring or fall. Avoid summer.
I think I may have mentioned earlier, but Charelston is one of my favorite cities in the US (maybe anywhere). I was there in the summer which was a little on the hot/humid side (to say the least) but it was beautiful nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom