Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times

Advertisements

I would say the Pacific Northwest and New England resemble England the most, but they probably aren't as popular as the funsunen destinations like Florida and California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I would say the Pacific Northwest and New England resemble England the most, but they probably aren't as popular as the funsunen destinations like Florida and California.
New England is nothing like England, except politics. Accents are vaguely similar. Pacific Northwest resembles England better than New England, but that region still is nothing like England except for the weather from Seattle to the border

Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
New England is nothing like England, except politics. Accents are vaguely similar. Pacific Northwest resembles England better than New England, but that region still is nothing like England except for the weather from Seattle to the border
I'd think New England has more resemblance to England than the Pacific Northwest, since it's older and feels more settled. There's relatively little old in the Pacific Northwest, and most people have come from somewhere in the country, so even less "Old World".

Old 10-03-2013, 01:23 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd think New England has more resemblance to England than the Pacific Northwest, since it's older and feels more settled. There's relatively little old in the Pacific Northwest, and most people have come from somewhere in the country, so even less "Old World".
I lived in the PNW for 10 years, and in my opinion it had little resemblance to England, maybe some resemblance to Scotland (the Piney bits anyway, not the heathery bits). Wrong trees, British trees are predominantly broadleaf with some conifer, PNW is predominantly conifer, with some broadleaf.

The New England States have better vegetation to pass for the UK.

However both fail badly on architecture, the older parts of Boston that are brick built better match (for obvious reasons), but there is too many wood buildings, two prime examples are Faneuil Hall and Paul Revere house, Faneuil Hall could probably exist in any town in the UK, Paul Revere House would stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
This might sound odd, but one of my British contacts who has to travel to the U.S. on a regular basis really likes North Carolina. She said it somehow reminds her of home.

I grew up in Florida and one thing I can't understand is why more Brits don't flock to the best beaches in the state, which are in the Panhandle. Try the Destin area for instance.

Stephen Fry from the U.K. did a great documentary series where he traveled to all 50 states. You can watch portions of it on You Tube. Even he went to Miami and Miami Beach and hated it. I wanted to shout at the screen for him to go to the Panhandle instead. Would have been a totally different experience.
LOL- yes the NC scenery is quite like England. But for us that's probably where the similarity ends.
I hated that series with Stephen Fry.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,414 times
I'm flying to Knoxville in a couple of days. I've never visited Tennessee so should be interesting.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I'm flying to Knoxville in a couple of days. I've never visited Tennessee so should be interesting.
I think the scenery in Tennessee is beautiful. I'd love to go back there and especially in the autumn you may see some colorful foliage.

As for New England resembling Old England, the part of New England I live in does look like the real England, Yorkshire anyway. The countryside. If I go up into Vermont it looks exactly the same as the Lake District and so do parts of New Hampshire. I remember my dad took his first trip back to Yorkshire and he wrote in his notes that "it looks just like Vermont."

As for the architecture, we build homes of wood here. If you could see the vast amounts of forest you'd know why. Gotta do something with all that lumber. Our stone walls are identical to the ones in England and they are everywhere. (If you could see the vast amounts of stone......)

Old 10-05-2013, 02:46 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,036,471 times
I don't know enough, I'm still learning.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:50 PM

657 posts, read 803,036 times
New England is my favourate region, followed closely by the Pacific Northwest.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:00 AM

325 posts, read 787,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
That should be interesting. It doesn't seem like many international travelers head to parts of the South like Tennessee. (Florida doesn't count)

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think the scenery in Tennessee is beautiful.
It is. I lived there for two years, and it was much greener than I had expected. I loved, and still love, the accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom