Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Remember the Vikings vs Saints NFC Championship game when Favre was QB? I remember everyone i knew was throwing a party. Amazing time even tho we lost

Vikings Fans in New Orleans - YouTube

That was fun to watch. Good times, good times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 05:32 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The 2011 Census reports that about 177,000 Americans are living in all of the UK. This includes men, women, and children. Do you honestly think that over half of them are showing up at the NFL games in London? I mean, Americans love football, but not THAT much! lol

American style football has been growing by about 15 percent in the UK each year since 2007.
I'm not sure who is going to the game at Wembley but believe me I have never met a Briton who has any interest - I'm not saying there aren't any but they are very few and far between! I think there are an awful lot of Americans that attend including many from the US - why should they have to travel half way round the world to see their team!?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That sounds nice. One of the reasons I dislike football here is that it often attracts aggressive and violent followers. The violence and hooliganism that occurs here with football (which has, admittedly, decreased a lot) doesn't seem to occur in the US, in any sport, which I like.

I don't think I could ever follow or admire a sport as much as you guys do though, since I have never been too interested in sports at all. But an excuse to have friends over and drink alcohol might just persuade me - that is, if American football gains more of a fan base here, which it appears to be doing. I didn't know Wembley hosted NFL games until recently though, so maybe we have a way to go yet.

We'll see what happens. NFL games certainly attract big numbers at Wembley though - and I doubt even most of them are American.

I don't know how far you're from Wembley but it is worth going if you grt the chance. There is another game there soon; it's all fun and entertainment and the NFL does a great job if bringing the American NFL experience to England. The game will start around 5 but its packed around noon because there is all sorts if entertainment provided. They even built a replica of the Golden Gate Bridge when I went to see San Francusco play there. Everyone dresses up and has a great time.

The naysayers will always be negative, and to be honest, mostly because its American (they will happily watch cricket, darts or snooker but complain the US football is too slow ).

Even if you don't like the game, it's all about entertainment and having fun. To be honest, the weaker teams usually go to London but its still worth the experience.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I don't know how far you're from Wembley but it is worth going if you grt the chance. There is another game there soon; it's all fun and entertainment and the NFL does a great job if bringing the American NFL experience to England. The game will start around 5 but its packed around noon because there is all sorts if entertainment provided. They even built a replica of the Golden Gate Bridge when I went to see San Francusco play there. Everyone dresses up and has a great time.

The naysayers will always be negative, and to be honest, mostly because its American (they will happily watch cricket, darts or snooker but complain the US football is too slow ).

Even if you don't like the game, it's all about entertainment and having fun. To be honest, the weaker teams usually go to London but its still worth the experience.

I correct myself; the game was today

Is Britain the NFL's 51st state? - BBC Sport

Old 10-27-2013, 07:31 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I correct myself; the game was today

Is Britain the NFL's 51st state? - BBC Sport
Interesting article. It seems that the Monarchs were popular back in the early 90's, but the European league wasn't a success. A London NFL franchise would probably be very successful now. I'd imagine that not as many British people had access to watch American sports back in the 90's. If the support is there it may be more doable here in 2013. Even I would watch and support the London team.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Interesting article. It seems that the Monarchs were popular back in the early 90's, but the European league wasn't a success. A London NFL franchise would probably be very successful now. I'd imagine that not as many British people had access to watch American sports back in the 90's. If the support is there it may be more doable here in 2013. Even I would watch and support the London team.
Im sorry but I really don't agree, let me ask you this do you honestly believe that making a London team would be a good idea?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Im sorry but I really don't agree, let me ask you this do you honestly believe that making a London team would be a good idea?

As usual you only have an opinion based on how YOU feel rather than knowing what you're talking about. Here's how the head of the NFL feels about it Y! SPORTS

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Well although I was talking the Pisces earlier, the attendances speak volumes so therefore, if the time difference issue can be overcome, why not? 86,000 filled seats at Wembley + merchandise = profit.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Well although I was talking the Pisces earlier, the attendances speak volumes so therefore, if the time difference issue can be overcome, why not? 86,000 filled seats at Wembley + merchandise = profit.
Right on.

Look, the games can be played on a Sunday afternoon, like many US NFL games are played. That way the time difference for the audiences back home is not much - we'd be watching the game in the evening - like we watch many NFL games.

As for the game actually being overseas - the vast majority of fans never enter an NFL stadium - even for a home game. The tickets are outrageously expensive for one thing. Parking's a hassle. It's not as comfortable as watching the game from home or a pub or whatever either.

If someone wants to invest in the market in the UK, more power to 'em. If there's a market, then they'll succeed. If not, their money will be wasted. I don't care one way or the other and I'm a diehard Saints fan.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on.

Look, the games can be played on a Sunday afternoon, like many US NFL games are played. That way the time difference for the audiences back home is not much - we'd be watching the game in the evening - like we watch many NFL games.

As for the game actually being overseas - the vast majority of fans never enter an NFL stadium - even for a home game. The tickets are outrageously expensive for one thing. Parking's a hassle. It's not as comfortable as watching the game from home or a pub or whatever either.

If someone wants to invest in the market in the UK, more power to 'em. If there's a market, then they'll succeed. If not, their money will be wasted. I don't care one way or the other and I'm a diehard Saints fan.
That's true. If the games started around 2pm British time, they could be screened at 7pm EST. If so many Brits showed up to see teams from the US play, they would equally show up for a London NFL team. NFL Europe was not a success, but there was a fanbase in Germany too. Maybe there would also be enough support in Germany to have a German team competing in the NFL rather than the defunct NFL Europe. That would be a 6 hour time difference.

This is a recent news article I just found which indicates a London franchise may be on the horizon:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/r...angeles-102613
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom