Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times

Advertisements

A girl friend staying with a British couple was quite alarmed when the husband asked if she wanted him to" knock her up" at seven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM

10,536 posts, read 6,175,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Seriously??! Of course they throw people - its British slang. What a silly post.
*Yawns*

Old 06-05-2014, 10:07 AM

729 posts, read 1,506,727 times
My daughter in law moved to England from the States for an executive position at an international company. At one of her first company meetings she showed up wearing a skirt and jacket. It was rather cold in the room and comment that she wished she had worn pants. That raised a few eyebrows!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,245,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
*Yawns*

You don't see the stupidity of your points? Oh, you think you're being all funny and comic

Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM

16,677 posts, read 17,449,350 times
Quote:
Seriously??! Of course they throw people - its British slang. What a silly post.
That's the whole flipping point.

We're discussing the expressions that throw people.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,167,124 times
I am not a smoker but I should imagine 'Can I bum a f*g' - would probably confuse a few Americans.

Just like 'Don't Forget Your Fanny Pack' - might confuse a few Brits.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,245,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
That's the whole flipping point.

We're discussing the expressions that throw people.

I'll quote for you since you are having trouble

"Phrases that throw people (but especially Americans)

Having lived in the US now for 3 years I still get funny looks when I use a particular phrase, that to me makes perfect sense when I say it, but Americans have never heard of it"

Would you like me to break it down for you, or do you think you can figure it out on your own? Would Indians have a better understanding of British slang? What about people from Thailand? Mexico?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:58 AM

16,677 posts, read 17,449,350 times
Quote:
I'll quote for you since you are having trouble

"Phrases that throw people (but especially Americans)

Having lived in the US now for 3 years I still get funny looks when I use a particular phrase, that to me makes perfect sense when I say it, but Americans have never heard of it"

Would you like me to break it down for you, or do you think you can figure it out on your own?
Keep yer Alans on.

I think you are the one with the sense of misunderstanding.

Everyone else seems to have got it.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
You don't see the stupidity of your points? Oh, you think you're being all funny and comic

Lighten up love. No need for insults.

As Jezer said, you are the one missing the point. The point of the thread is to highlight differences in phrases, language, words and terminology between countries (or anyone for that matter).
It's not an insult or having a go at anyone. It was meant to be lighthearted. Jeez.

(Thanks Jezer).

Your disdain for the thread didn't stop you contributing your own story I see.

Quote:
This is true. I have stopped writing "whilst" altogether - it has naturally died out from my vocabulary. I used to use it in work emails and would get some jokey responses around it so I stopped. Technically, its not really a word I guess, but it is still common in the UK.

I used the term "bathers" the other day, and caused quite the laughing fit amongst a couple of colleagues.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM

I have an Irish friend here who has been here about 20 years, but to use her own quote, still sounds like she "just got off the boat". She uses a ton of Irish expressions hilarilously in a really broad Irish accent, like "Mary Mother of GOD" or "Jesus, Mary and Joseph", to express surprise or frustration. Any night out or party is "a bun fight".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom