Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Im a Brit living in
The UK 32 12.70%
Europe 0 0%
US 37 14.68%
Other 5 1.98%
Im not a Brit 178 70.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
who has it easier

an american/canadian in the uk, or the reverse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My guess is American/Canadian in UK since American entertainment media has familiarized pretty much the entire English-speaking world with American idioms and colloquialisms.
I guess I should say a Brit in America, for that reason. Probably more familiar with American idioms and colloquialisms from being bombarded with American media, whereas maybe 30% of American households get a grand total of 1 BBC channel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 04:28 AM

119 posts, read 552,942 times
Default Lololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Wow that really made me think! It's such a common phrase that I can't get my head around the idea that it's no universal! Wow! Hole in the wall = cash point... weird. Do you say cash point or is it something else there?
In Boston we just call it an "ATM". We tend to like to shorten things a bit so I can honestly say I have never heard anyone call it a 'cash machine'.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,236,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trionetriathlon View Post
In Boston we just call it an "ATM". We tend to like to shorten things a bit so I can honestly say I have never heard anyone call it a 'cash machine'.
If you think about it though, it's actually the same number of syllables to say... Cash point is quicker!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,583,276 times
Quote:
LOL - good plan! Try "Hiya - y'oraaiyt?" [translation: Hello, are you alright? aka Hello.] They'll think you're a native.
I can do a Hiya, but y'oraaiyt is a bit much for me.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,708,435 times
Well...this is a LONG post...lots to look back over, and someone brought it back up front..

But I've heard that if I'm in England, and a lady asks me to knock her up in the morning, it doesn't mean the same thing it means here!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM

681 posts, read 2,915,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I guess I should say a Brit in America, for [this] reason. Probably more familiar with American idioms and colloquialisms from being bombarded with American media, whereas maybe 30% of American households get a grand total of 1 BBC channel...
Drover, I'm going to agree with your reasons but not your conclusion. Because the question is "who has it easier...", and I interpret that to mean who is more easily understood by "most" people one is likely to run into as a visitor, guest or ex-pat. In my trips to the UK I had virtually no difficulty being understood, even by shop-keepers and food servers. On the other hand I frequently had to ask to have some of what a few of them said to me repeated because I had difficulty with some of their accents. So I was quickly understood, but they were not so much so.

When I turn that around, and reflect on my experiences hosting hundreds of Brit visitors at various popular sites on the west coast I recall them mostly understanding me - rarely asking me to repeat anything - whilst [love that word] they frequently had to repeat some of their questions to me - or other hosting staff.

So I conclude three things: 1. Brits generally get to hear more of our dialects and jargon than we theirs. [your point] 2. Due to centuries of empire building and their proximity to Europe and the Middle East, in general Brits probably have a broader cultural experience deciphering diverse dialects than do we. 3. In general the US dialect is flatter and spoken at a more leisurely pace than is theirs. Conclusion: In general it is easier for a Brit to understand a Yank than vice-versa.

Correct me, though, if I'm wrong.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:29 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I can do a Hiya, but y'oraaiyt is a bit much for me.
OK I probably went a bit overboard with the attempt at phonetic spelling!! It's basically "you alright?" I think that whole thing came up a few months ago that it's a greeting here - someone was confused because everyone kept asking if they were alright and they started to think maybe they looked unwell. That did make me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well...this is a LONG post...lots to look back over, and someone brought it back up front..

But I've heard that if I'm in England, and a lady asks me to knock her up in the morning, it doesn't mean the same thing it means here!
True. But it kind of means both here too - I never use that phrase if I'm asking someone to wake me up because it sounds really dodgy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Drover, I'm going to agree with your reasons but not your conclusion. Because the question is "who has it easier...", and I interpret that to mean who is more easily understood by "most" people one is likely to run into as a visitor, guest or ex-pat. In my trips to the UK I had virtually no difficulty being understood, even by shop-keepers and food servers. On the other hand I frequently had to ask to have some of what a few of them said to me repeated because I had difficulty with some of their accents. So I was quickly understood, but they were not so much so.

When I turn that around, and reflect on my experiences hosting hundreds of Brit visitors at various popular sites on the west coast I recall them mostly understanding me - rarely asking me to repeat anything - whilst [love that word] they frequently had to repeat some of their questions to me - or other hosting staff.

So I conclude three things: 1. Brits generally get to hear more of our dialects and jargon than we theirs. [your point] 2. Due to centuries of empire building and their proximity to Europe and the Middle East, in general Brits probably have a broader cultural experience deciphering diverse dialects than do we. 3. In general the US dialect is flatter and spoken at a more leisurely pace than is theirs. Conclusion: In general it is easier for a Brit to understand a Yank than vice-versa.

Correct me, though, if I'm wrong.
I'd say that was probably fair. Another factor being the vast array of accents and dialects in the UK. And Southdown's thread on idioms has really made me think about the number of weird little phrases we have. Put that all together and you've virtually got a different language!

Of course either way we've both got problems, whether it's being understood ourselves or trying to understand everyone else. My conclusion would be that hosts always have it easier than visitors as the burden is (or should be) on them!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:36 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,583,276 times
Quote:
OK I probably went a bit overboard with the attempt at phonetic spelling!! It's basically "you alright?" I think that whole thing came up a few months ago that it's a greeting here - someone was confused because everyone kept asking if they were alright and they started to think maybe they looked unwell. That did make me laugh.
That's a good one!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:15 AM

119 posts, read 552,942 times
Default Lololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
That's a good one!
I'm still laughing about that time... (it was me the first month I was here in the UK)... and I am still laughing about the "hole in the wall". Now, a few weeks back I went to help an elderly woman who had fallen on the sidewalk. I ran up to her calling "You alright?" and THEN I LAUGHED, why???, because I didn't want her to think I was OFFERING A FRIENDLY GREETING for such a tragedy!!!!

I thought I had some semblance of intelligence in a previous life, but I'm not sure what happened!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:22 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trionetriathlon View Post
I'm still laughing about that time... (it was me the first month I was here in the UK)... and I am still laughing about the "hole in the wall". Now, a few weeks back I went to help an elderly woman who had fallen on the sidewalk. I ran up to her calling "You alright?" and THEN I LAUGHED, why???, because I didn't want her to think I was OFFERING A FRIENDLY GREETING for such a tragedy!!!!

I thought I had some semblance of intelligence in a previous life, but I'm not sure what happened!
LOL - no I'm sure she knew exactly what you mean, unless you said it nonchalantly and with no obvious interest in the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom