Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 03:39 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The hypocrisy of Sinn Fein has always been on an industrial level.
From Gerry Adams demanding inquiries into the conduct of British troops in Northern Ireland while still insisting he was never a member of the IRA to elected Sinn Fein MPs refusing to recognise the British parliament while still trousering millions from it.
And of course the biggest hypocrite of all Martin McGuinness who escaped all prosecution because he was an informant for the British security services.
That's why the IRA lost the war - because they were riddled with spies in the pay of MI5 from the top down.
Paddy has always liked the feeling of the Queen's Shilling in his pocket.
What does one thing have to do with the other.
Whether Adams was an official member of the IRA or just supporting their cause politically, that has nothing to do with him (or anyone else for that matter) holding professional troops accountable for unprofessional behavior.
That is especially true of criminal behavior on behalf of the armed services and/or the police.

I would think after all this time, those of you who dislike or hate Adams & Co would have appreciated that the IRA gave up the bullet for the ballot box. Yet the venom spewed their way seems neverending with some folks.
Yet I cannot imagine those same folks wish to return to the old days of an ongoing war between British forces and the IRA.
Granted there are still contentious issues between the Nationalist & Unionist sides, but by & large NI is a much more peaceful place to live today.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 05:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Whether Adams was an official member of the IRA or just supporting their cause politically, that has nothing to do with him (or anyone else for that matter) holding professional troops accountable for unprofessional behavior.
That is especially true of criminal behavior on behalf of the armed services and/or the police.

I would think after all this time, those of you who dislike or hate Adams & Co would have appreciated that the IRA gave up the bullet for the ballot box. Yet the venom spewed their way seems neverending with some folks.
Yet I cannot imagine those same folks wish to return to the old days of an ongoing war between British forces and the IRA.
Granted there are still contentious issues between the Nationalist & Unionist sides, but by & large NI is a much more peaceful place to live today.

`
The IRA gave up the bullet for the ballot box because they were comprehensively defeated militarily by the British army. If they thought they could win militarily then they would still be fighting.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The IRA gave up the bullet for the ballot box because they were comprehensively defeated militarily by the British army. If they thought they could win militarily then they would still be fighting.
The IRA didn't have to win militarily though. A well planted bomb was all that was needed. Why bother negotiating with them if they were a dead issue? They would always have been an ongoing threat and you can't defeat an organisation that can fade into the background and come out and strike randomly. That's the whole modus operandi of these types of organisations.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
'trivial'! Think there was around 3,000 killed during the 'troubles'. I don't think there is any data on which way ethnic minorities vote. They are maybe not here long enough to pick a side. Ulster was behind the other parts of the UK due to the 'troubles'. So, people avoided coming to Ulster until the violence stopped.
well, its over. Its time to move on. We have 4k in war dead over Iraq and 2k over in afghanistan while china continues to become stronger without firing a shot and putin tests our resolve. So yes, to me, the troubles are trivial. It can easily be solved by having the UK become a federal republic and having ireland join the federal republic and building the irish sea tunnel to connect the british isles.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:05 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
well, its over. Its time to move on. We have 4k in war dead over Iraq and 2k over in afghanistan while china continues to become stronger without firing a shot and putin tests our resolve. So yes, to me, the troubles are trivial. It can easily be solved by having the UK become a federal republic and having ireland join the federal republic and building the irish sea tunnel to connect the british isles.
The reason for the Troubles though was that part of the population didn't want to be part of the UK. Ireland isn't going to rejoin the UK.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:22 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:

`
You don't see the hypocrisy of a man who killed innocent men,women and children demanding British troops be called to account for the behaviour ?
Unbelievable.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:00 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:

`
So we have to say to Adams and his gang...thank you for not killing us anymore

Old 08-22-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
There was video on YT a couple of weeks ago which showed children dancing and singing to a song which included hate words against the Queen and also F... your flag. Time to move on ..yes, but not for some it seems. Some of the kids were as young as six or seven.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 PM

And they talk about moving on and a shared future.

https://vid.me/ihhW9

Old 08-22-2017, 02:58 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,569,336 times
The headstone in the USA of my Great-great-grandfather had it forever right. It reads:

MICHAEL RAFFERTY
Died July 27 1878
Aged 48 Years
A NATIVE OF CO TYRONE
IRELAND
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-rafferty-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom