Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 02:10 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Interesting article headlined and linked below;

Brexit cannot be dealt with until Sinn Fein and the DUP speak to one another
"It is in Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald’s interests and those of the people she represents to ensure that Brexit is shaped so that it is as near compatible as it can be to the Good Friday agreement"

Brexit cannot be dealt with until Sinn Fein and the DUP speak to one another | The Independent

One wonders what can of worms Brexit has opened regarding the future of NI.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 02:24 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Interesting article headlined and linked below;

Brexit cannot be dealt with until Sinn Fein and the DUP speak to one another
"It is in Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald’s interests and those of the people she represents to ensure that Brexit is shaped so that it is as near compatible as it can be to the Good Friday agreement"

Brexit cannot be dealt with until Sinn Fein and the DUP speak to one another | The Independent

One wonders what can of worms Brexit has opened regarding the future of NI.

`
You expect anyone to care about the opinions of a newspaper that is so bad it's not even printed on paper ?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You expect anyone to care about the opinions of a newspaper that is so bad it's not even printed on paper ?
It is not as if this is the only source on the subject, as you can find several. You and others have been discussing how Brexit has changed the NI debate as well. I have not gotten into those discussions for the most part, as Brexit is not in my wheelhouse so to speak.
Still I am aware of some of the aspects that have NI into the public discussion, that typically ignores them in the rest of the UK.

The primary stumbling block for devolution at the moment seems to be the Irish language issue, which I suspect you could care less about.
[Just a bunch of drunken Irish playing the victim as plastic paddies always do, right?]

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...orth-1.3396866

Yet here is an example of where Irish people themselves claim to be living with inequality, not plastic paddies;

the signatories are “shocked at the level of permanent inequality in respect of access to rights that people in the North are expected to endure”.

Funny how you and some others can sympathize/empathize with blacks in America, but not the Irish on your side of the pond.

`

Old 02-19-2018, 08:33 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
It is not as if this is the only source on the subject, as you can find several. You and others have been discussing how Brexit has changed the NI debate as well. I have not gotten into those discussions for the most part, as Brexit is not in my wheelhouse so to speak.
Still I am aware of some of the aspects that have NI into the public discussion, that typically ignores them in the rest of the UK.

The primary stumbling block for devolution at the moment seems to be the Irish language issue, which I suspect you could care less about.
[Just a bunch of drunken Irish playing the victim as plastic paddies always do, right?]

Yet here is an example of where Irish people themselves claim to be living with inequality, not plastic paddies;

the signatories are “shocked at the level of permanent inequality in respect of access to rights that people in the North are expected to endure”.

Funny how you and some others can sympathize/empathize with blacks in America, but not the Irish on your side of the pond.

`
You keep using this analogy about blacks in America and I keep telling you that even the Irish in Ireland don't give a toss about what is going on in the North.
The Irish language is not a stumbling block to anything.The vast majority of Irish people north and south of the border don't speak it,can't speak it or never want to speak it.
Only Plastic Paddies in the States have this romanticised version of what reality is in Ireland.
What's holding up a resumption of devolved powers in the North is that both sides loath and distrust each other in equal measure.
Sinn Fein walked out because they couldn't get rid of Arlene Foster over cash for ash and are now using the Irish language as a mechanism for disrupting talks.
But as I say the vast majority of people in Ireland as opposed to those viewing it through the prism of a manky Guinness glass in a North American Plastic Paddy bar simply don't care about what goes on in Belfast and leave both sides to stew in their own distrust and religious bigotry.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Great.
Hurry up and go then.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The Brits and especially the English are uniformly hated across the EU.
Nobody wants you to stick around.
Hmm, I wonder why the British voted 'leave'?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
This is certainly accurate of some Irish or other ethnic groups who detest the British in general, and the English in particular. We Yanks drove them out of our country, and have since forgiven them for their past cruelty/injustices.
However it is easier for us to do on several fronts. For starters we are no longer under an type of British control.

Secondly, many of us are descended from the Brits, which on a basic human level can make us more tolerable of them now. We share a lot with them culturally, religiously, racially, etc.

Lastly, Americans seem to think in a far different manner than cultures that have existed long before our brief existence. I cannot explain why exactly, but maybe it comes from being the top dog, thus our freedom and lack of fear from being dominated by others allows us to be more forgiving.

Plus Americans do not seem to care as much about a persons ethnic background like other countries seem to. For example, take browns in America. Most of them know what country other Hispanics/Latins come from, and it is important for them to know.
Thus when they are trying to describe a mutual friend/acquaintance, they automatically say the Brazilian, or the Columbian, etc.
To many Americans, especially younger ones, no one has a clue that Jose is Cuban & Pedro is Puerto Rican, nor do they care.

Needless to say the English/Brits and Irish have a very long adversarial history, thus you get ingrained and generational dislike/hatred. To many Irish, their independence from Britain is just 100 years old, and they feel Northern Ireland is still occupied by Britain. While bigotry/racism is not right from either side, it is easier to empathize with the oppressed rather than the oppressor.
That is in large part why blacks in America are given special treatment and understanding (especially by liberals) even though slavery (which was a British sin to begin with) has been over for 150+ years.
It is funny how some Brits are quick to understand blacks views in white America, yet are tone deaf to the Irish grievances toward them.

`
Like we need 'forgiving', makes me laugh the 'hatred' spewed towards the British and yet we are supposed to be the bad guys f. off, I've noticed before that the British get the blame for just about everything bad in human history and now we are to blame for American slavery too! I suppose the apartheid in the US southern states are the fault of the British too? Or the shool gun massacres occurring across the US, I'm sure you could blame the British somehow for that one too no?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:

`
If you are going to speak our language then learn to speak it properly, the term you are looking for is COULDN'T care less, or else it makes no sense.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If you are going to speak our language then learn to speak it properly, the term you are looking for is COULDN'T care less, or else it makes no sense.
Is that really the purpose of your post, to educate vs. lash out at someone with whom you disagree with. Your previous post takes issue with me, and then you quote another (ignoring the content) only to criticize could vs. couldn't.

Now if it is a pet peeve of yours, I get it, as I can be the same way with certain phrases or words. Thus you might find this video interesting on the subject;

https://www.merriam-webster.com/vide...ldnt-care-less

Now when you get a chance, how about you reply to the content of the post, rather than trying to be my editor.

BTW - You guys across the pond spell behavior wrong.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The Irish language is not a stumbling block to anything.
Hmmm, I didn't realize the Irish Times was an American paper nor filled with plastic paddies as you like to say;

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/d...isis-1.3394803

Maybe you are not as well informed as you would like to believe.
In case you want to dismiss the IT (like you do with most other newspapers/outlets), there are others saying the same thing.

`

Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM

1,285 posts, read 592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hmm, I wonder why the British voted 'leave'?
Maybe you haven't created a very favourable impression.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom