Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:54 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When I was much younger, the part of Canada I grew up in used the British term " chips " for French Fries. Many times while visiting the states, I got " crisps " when what I wanted were " chips ".
Now in Canada it's pretty much French Fries now.

In the North of Holland in the 80's, it seemed no matter what we ordered, even pasta, it came with a fried egg on top.

As for mayo on fries, it's very common here in Canada and has been for a few years. Many different flavoured mayo's to choose from in special Belgian style fry houses. You can also buy the dutch Fritesauce in some deli's.
A more Canadian thing may be gravy on fries.

When I worked as a waiter on the trains in Canada we had porridge on the menu. Had to explain to many Americans that it meant oatmeal. When we served it with brown sugar many expressed that they used mainly white sugar but loved the idea of using brown. I prefer maple syrup on my porridge.

Gravy on fries has been in Iowa since before Iowa became and actual state and they are generally referred to as "Wet Willys".
Mr. CSD has used brown sugar and cinnamon in his oatmeal since he was a child and he is 62 years old today. Personally I use 1/2 milk and 1/2 water when I make the oatmeal then put a pat of butter in my bowl, white sugar and Milk and I love toast with my oatmeal.
I have used mayo on my fries since I was a child, I do not like Catsup and I never have liked Catsup.
If mayo is not available I use gravy, Catalina Dressing, Western Dressing or nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 06:01 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Some years ago myself and 2 friends from Chicago were in Mexico City. We went to a cafe (Sanborn's ?) one afternoon, and one friend ordered "cerveza and fritos", thinking he would get a beer and corn chips. The waiter looked at bit quizzical, but took the order.

What he got was a beer and 2 fried eggs !
Fritos means fried (as in huevos fritos = fried eggs, or papas fritas = french fries)---but it is odd that the waiter thought fritos alone would mean fried eggs. I live in Mexico City and never have I heard fried eggs called just fritos---huevos fritos, yes....but not just fritos. If you're ever there again and want something like Fritos (the brand), ask for nachos or more the more common term there is totopos---and you will get corn tortilla chips.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:15 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When I was much younger, the part of Canada I grew up in used the British term " chips " for French Fries. Many times while visiting the states, I got " crisps " when what I wanted were " chips ".
Now in Canada it's pretty much French Fries now.

In the North of Holland in the 80's, it seemed no matter what we ordered, even pasta, it came with a fried egg on top.

As for mayo on fries, it's very common here in Canada and has been for a few years. Many different flavoured mayo's to choose from in special Belgian style fry houses. You can also buy the dutch Fritesauce in some deli's.
A more Canadian thing may be gravy on fries.

When I worked as a waiter on the trains in Canada we had porridge on the menu. Had to explain to many Americans that it meant oatmeal. When we served it with brown sugar many expressed that they used mainly white sugar but loved the idea of using brown. I prefer maple syrup on my porridge.
Here in New England it's brown sugar on oatmeal. But maple syrup is good on anything, even on snow.

Of course there are those of us who eat pure maple syrup by the spoonful. Only at this time of the year, after all we're getting closer to maple sugar month.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:17 PM

159 posts, read 177,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
When I'm in another country I only order something of theirs if I know exactly what it is--fear of getting liver and onions. Or squid. Or octopus. Or eel.

I've never heard of a pepper mousse over simple scrambled eggs but then I've never been to Orlando FL either. We don't put cinnamon over French toast but I've heard of putting it in the batter--it's pretty good.
Here in New England we eat baked beans but only the Brits put it over toast. We have them for supper with hotdogs.

I remember in Germany I just ordered goulash all the time. Got a little boring but at least I knew what I was getting. I love British food but I'm careful what I order. Safest bets are fish and chips or curry but there are a lot of good British foods.
Squid is actually fantastic with the right seasoning. It's a staple among some Koreans and something I regularly ate when I was stationed in Seoul. Not kosher if that's a factor, but if it comes down to yuck factor, it's really no different to lobster or king prawn (which resemble oversized bugs). And unlike prawns, they're not primarily bottom feeders so their dietary exposure is cleaner.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:22 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Reading the posts on this thread makes me hungry. Gives me ideas on what snacks I might want to try when I'm traveling or even for making and eating at home. One thing I want to try is English chips and eggs. The Belgium hamburger topped with an egg sounds really good, even though I don't ordinarily eat meat that much , but again it sounds delicious!

Old 02-22-2015, 01:43 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Reading the posts on this thread makes me hungry. Gives me ideas on what snacks I might want to try when I'm traveling or even for making and eating at home. One thing I want to try is English chips and eggs. The Belgium hamburger topped with an egg sounds really good, even though I don't ordinarily eat meat that much , but again it sounds delicious!
Try tattie scones, black pudding and haggis.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Here in New England it's brown sugar on oatmeal. But maple syrup is good on anything, even on snow.

Of course there are those of us who eat pure maple syrup by the spoonful. Only at this time of the year, after all we're getting closer to maple sugar month.
Not surprised there is crossover between New England and Quebec/Ontario in regards to maple syrup and even brown sugar.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
I try to eat local dishes when I am traveling. Perhaps I'm a more adventurous eater than some, but I figure I can do without my favorites from home for a few weeks and I've rarely gotten something that I had a hard time eating. Spaghetti with smashed up sardines in Venice comes to mind but more often I've been pleasantly surprised.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
I tried lots of Greek food while over there and enjoyed it but my favourite believe it or not was their pizzas with spnach and feta cheese.. the best Ive ever tasted.. but while on a diet I asked for a baked potato with tuna.... I got the baked potato sitting with a large dollop of some sort of mayo.. and a slice of real tuna lying beside it...

Old 02-23-2015, 09:48 AM

202 posts, read 231,337 times
Food styles are ancestral. Since I'm a Heinz57 variety, I have been familiar with all the foodstuffs discussed since young childhood. Also, here in this vast country, regions have different variations on food. I was born and grew up in the North, lived in England as a young adult and have lived in the American South for the last 35 years. There are more food differences in the South than I've experienced in foreign countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom