Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 03:52 AM

969 posts, read 826,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Nah Camden voted Labour and it contain Hampstead with Bishops Avenue and it has some of the wealthiest streets in the country. It isn't that simple...
Camden as a whole also has some of the highest rates of deprivation in the metropolitan area, regardless of whether or not there are wealthy cliques or exclusive gated communities ensconced within its boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:00 AM

861 posts, read 853,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Camden as a whole also has some of the highest rates of deprivation in the metropolitan area, regardless of whether or not there are wealthy cliques or exclusive gated communities ensconced within its boundaries.
Historically yes, but not anymore, a good number of the estates are now privately owned Barbican style

Old 05-12-2015, 04:01 AM

159 posts, read 177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I am I Westminster North and we went Labour and mostly have in previous elections. We have Maida Vale, St.John's Wood, Bayswater and parts of Marylebone. All very wealthy areas. Some of the most expensive real estate in the world is here.
It looks like Westminster North is swinging to conservative, if this is accurate.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Historically yes, but not anymore, a good number of the estates are now privately owned Barbican style
Oh there's no doubt the area is in the gentrification cycle. But it still scores highly in deprived region indices nonetheless.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:04 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,392,451 times
I think the cut off point for people voting labour is the upper middle class line. Its not just working class people on social security that vote labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
If you know London you'll be aware that Camden has a high amount of Middle Class people.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 AM

861 posts, read 853,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I think the cut off point for people voting labour is the upper middle class line. Its not just working class people on social security that vote labour.

If you know London you'll be aware that Camden has a high amount of Middle Class people.
Got to disagree with you there P, I know some pretty wealthy folks who still vote Labour. Heck until recently Alan Sugar was a Labour man

Also what do you define as middle class? I wouldnt define any homeowners in Camden as middle class, any man or woman who owns a house worth a few million is not middle class in my book

Old 05-12-2015, 04:16 AM

159 posts, read 177,662 times
Quote:

I don't think it's so straightforward.

Some people whether it's due to personal or creedal motivations, social ties and incentives will always remain ideologically inclined to the left even as they become more affluent or influential, contributing more to the culture.

Take your own hero Russell Brand for example, who lives in a Central London pad that costs £110,000 per year, yet takes it upon himself to be an outspoken Labour-supporter and advocate of aggressive wealth redistribution.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:24 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,071,331 times
Quote:
Yep. I am clearly Middle class and a graduate, and live in a very expensive London district. I know no one like me who votes Tory - they vote LibDem and Lab. The only Tory voters I know around here are poorly educated people of working class origin who made a lot of money in buying and selling - hustlers. They think they are socially in the middle class so vote Tory and they also think they will be better off with the Tories because they were brought up that way. These people are not thinkers, more cunning than anything. When I speak to them it is not for long as the lack of education comes out. Bigot come to mind.

Quote:
Look at the prices of houses there and that tells you. The older working class inner-city districts of London were taken over by the middle class. London attracts young, bright, dynamic and educated people from all over. They tend not to lean to Tory at all.

Last edited by John-UK; 05-12-2015 at 04:38 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 04:26 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,071,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
I don't think it's so straightforward.
You know nothing London's makeup that is abundantly clear.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Yep. I am clearly Middle class and a graduate, and live in a very expensive London district. I know no one like me who votes Tory - they vote LibDem and Lab. The only Tory voters I know around here are poorly educated people of working class origin who made a lot of money in buying and selling - hustlers. They think they are socially in the middle class so vote Tory and they also think they will be better of with the Tories because they were brought up that way. These people are not thinkers, more cunning than anything. When I speak to them it is not for long as the lack of education comes out.

Look at the prices of houses there and that tells you. The older working class inner-city districts of London were taken over by the middle class. London attracts young, bright, dynamic and educated people from all over. They tend not to lean to Tory at all.
The fallacy of hasty generalization.

I could just as well argue that the upper middle class people I was educated with are now mostly conservative supporters (many of them now work for reputable consultancy groups, auditing bodies, or in the natural sciences and medicine) and knowing few labour supporters to be among them, conclude that this is reflective of the demographic bracket as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom